Additional Softball Series of Interest this Weekend 3-28

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Additional Softball Series of Interest this Weekend 3-28

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Outside of the Big 12, the SEC, PAC-12 and ACC has some interesting series this weekend.

SEC:
Florida (5-1) at Mississippi State (5-4) - We will see if the Florida Kiddie Corp pitchers can limit the Miss St offense and if the Miss St pitchers can limit the Gator offense at the top of the lineup. the team that wins 2 or 3 games will be near the top or at the top of the SEC after this weekend.

Texas A&M (8-1) at LSU (5-4) - Big rivalry game. We will see how good LSU is this weekend. LSU needs to wins. A&M is playing with house money right now. If they win 2 games, they are shining brightly while LSU drops to .500.

Alabama (2-4) at Kentucky (0-6) - Kentucky has to win 2, Bama needs to win 2. Kentucky is trying get out of the cellar. Bama is tying to be relevant in the SEC.

Arkansas (3-3) at Georgia (5-1) - Georgia is trying to keep pace at the top of the SEC. Arkansas is trying to move towards the top.

PAC-12:
Stanford (6-0) at Arizona (4-5) - Arizona is trying to become part of the PAC-12 race and need at least 2 wins. Stanford is just trying to win 2 games with Canady. Stanford has the better hand here if Canady starts two games.

Oregon (7-2) at UCLA (4-2) - The Ducks can send the Bruins to the middle of the pack and wants to do so. UCLA is trying to nurse two young pitchers to win games. This is an interesting series.

ACC:
VA Tech (9-0) at Duke (7-2) - VA Tech is trying to steal the ACC Title with HR power. Duke is trying to stay in the Top 5 in the country and stop VA Tech. Can their pitching hold up and can their speed offense score enough runs to keep up?

Clemson, Florida State and GA Tech can move up in the standings with the two top teams beating up each other. All three need to win this weekend.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Mississippi State 13 Florida 12 was surprising to me. the Florida freshmen pitchers looked like freshmen. Miss State just keeps hitting the ball.

Duke really exploded for 14 runs to beat VA Tech 14-5 which included Lemley pitching for just one inning in relief.

LSU managed to win 2-1 over A&M in a low scoring game. Berzon beat Kennedy in a pitcher's dual. A Pleasants HR won it in the 8th.

UCLA defeated Oregon 5-3. UCLA's Terry and Tinsley won it over three pitchers for Oregon.

Kentucky (Schoonover) won 6-3 over Bama and Beaver.

Arizona was no match for Stanford and Canady as Stanford won 9-0.

In a mid-major big game. TX State with Mullins in the circle beat South Alabama with Lackie in the circle, 1-0 as the lone run was walked with two outs and later scored in the 5th inning against Lackie.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

OSU beat Texas 5-0.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

The game today between osu and Texas is HUGE. they both need to win it, OSU probably more than Texas.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

With the Pokes' win today (3-0) at Stillwater, the Horns and Pokes are tied in the conference standings at 9-3 apiece, OU is 12-0 entering the 3 game series next Friday in Austin.
Of course, I'd LOVE to sweep the series in Austin, but dropping one of the 3 would not be too damaging to our season, being as that we get the Cowpokes in Norman!
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

BudaSooner wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm With the Pokes' win today (3-0) at Stillwater, the Horns and Pokes are tied in the conference standings at 9-3 apiece, OU is 12-0 entering the 3 game series next Friday in Austin.
Of course, I'd LOVE to sweep the series in Austin, but dropping one of the 3 would not be too damaging to our season, being as that we get the Cowpokes in Norman!

2 of 3 from both texsa and okie lite gives OU all the rating required for homefield through to OKC. I would love to sweep them both, but winning the series (which OU has done in the little 12 for every series since 2011) is important for momentum, that record, and because we HATE texsa and laugh at little sister lite.
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I have to admit that the team I am absolutely the most surprised with, so far anyway, is OSU.

Give credit to them. I never saw it coming like this for the Cowgirls.

I am glad we get them in Norman, though. And I hope to heaven we get some practice time in Love's field before they arrive on our doorstep.

Are we all looking forward to a Maxwell / Kilfoyl duel?
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:08 pm

I am glad we get LosuR in Norman. And I hope to heaven we get some practice time in Love's field before they arrive on our doorstep.

Was Kilfoyl the ag pitcher for both of the games they won over tx? How have May and Deal pitched against both the orange aggy and the txwhorns in the past?. I bet there will be lots of film watching by all 3 teams prior to each game against either foe.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

inconnu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:20 pm
TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:08 pm

I am glad we get LosuR in Norman. And I hope to heaven we get some practice time in Love's field before they arrive on our doorstep.

Was Kilfoyl the ag pitcher for both of the games they won over tx? How have May and Deal pitched against both the orange aggy and the txwhorns in the past?. I bet there will be lots of film watching by all 3 teams prior to each game against either foe.
Yeah, Kilfoyl shut em out both times.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

inconnu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:20 pm [I bet there will be lots of film watching by all 3 teams prior to each game against either foe.
I don’t know about that. Kelly Maxwell is on record saying she never did film study at OSU. Not sure how much they really do at places other than Norman.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I remember reading that Maxwell said that. Yeah, I don' know how much time, effort and $ any team wants to devote to oppo research. Winning a NC certainly has some financial rewards for the school and likely the coaches, but softball certainly isn't the mega-bucks compared to the really biggies.