Game 1: Sooners win 6-1, Maxwell is now 10-0, Sooners hit 3 HRs

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Game 1: Sooners win 6-1, Maxwell is now 10-0, Sooners hit 3 HRs

Post by OUBeliever56A »

BigRed4722 - posted this good synopsis of the game on another board.

Hamilton had the best game she has ever had against the Sooners last night. She lowered her era from 12.08 to 9.80 and the Sooners only managed a .290 BA last night. She started out badly and after 3 innings had given up 6 runs, 5 earned and I think most Sooner fans thought they were going to have an early dinner but after the 2nd trip through the lineup Hamilton shutdown the vaunted OU offense and allowed no more runs. Thank goodness Kelly Maxwell was in form and for 6 and 2/3rd innings was unhittable. But the best hitter on the Kansas team ended the no hitter and shutout in one blow. However that was all that KU could muster, game over. OU will probably see Brooks Friday, but I would imagine we will see Hamilton Saturday with the Kansas coach hoping she can continue her magic of the last 4 innings and bring Kansas their first win over OU in 8 years.

- - -

I agree that Hamilton settled down to pitch well in the last four innings to keep the score at 6 runs for OU. But Oklahoma did provide quick runs early. In the first, Coleman singled and Jennings hit HR #86 of her career and #13 this season for a 2-HR and lead. In the 2nd, Boone leads off with a swinging bunt for a single followed by a 2-run HR by Sanders that was a moonshot over the LF fence that took a high hop when it landed beyond the fence. Ludlam reached 2nd base on a high popup in the infield that the 3B dropped as Ludlam hustled her way to second base. Pickering (batting 9th) then hit a sharp liner to RC to score Ludlam easily to make it 5-0. Hamilton than got a key double play than a fairly deep fly out to RF to end the inning. In the 3rd, Torres smashed a low line drive to RC for a HR with two outs to make it 6-0.

After that, Hamilton retired the Sooners in 4-straight innings to end the game. But there were three deep balls that I thought could be out when they were hit. The Sooners were 9 for 31 which is the third time in a row they have not had double digit hits after logging double digit hits in 5 straight games. OU added 2 walks and had 2 Ks against Hamilton.

It was good to see Hansen get two at bats (1 for 2 after a revised scoring decision) and run well on the bases. She did catch some "pitches" in a crouch before the game also. I would think she might catch a game this weekend. Coleman and Pickering were the only Sooners with 2 hits in the game and both added a walk to reach base three times.

For the Sooner, Kelly Maxwell was once again good in the circle. I say good instead of very good due to the 4 walks she allowed along with one long hit in the 7th with two outs. Maxwell was very close to tossing another no-hitter against Kansas. But with one out remaining, Campbell Bagwell found a ball up in the zone from Maxwell and hit it out over CF to spoil the shutout and the no-hit bid by Maxwell. Other than four walks and the lone hit, Maxwell was dominate as she struck out 9 of the 21 outs recorded and really did not allow a hard hit ball ball besides the HR. One little liner was hit right at Boone, but that was it. Maxwell moves to 10-0 on the season and her ERA dropped to 1.59 for the season. In the windy condition, Maxwell did pitch well and did not let the wind help Kansas at all.

I think the Jayhawks will send Katie Brooks to the circle today. she has not allowed a HR this season. With the wind blowing out to CF harder than yesterday to LF, the condition are not good for pitching once again. Oklahoma should put up a few HRs today against Brooks.

For the Sooners, I wonder if it will be May in the circle or if it will be Deal/Keeney in the circle. I do not know which will be chosen. The wind will switch to a north wind for tomorrow's game at noon with cooler weather. With the wind factor, we might see Deal/Keeney pitch today and May tomorrow. The wind does affect things in Arrocha Ballpark.

It was a good win for the Sooners on Thursday.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the win over Kansas in Game 1.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/3/28 ... n-lawrence

Boomer Sooner!