What was your biggest concern at the end of the evening?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

What was your biggest concern at the end of the evening?

Post by WishBone »

Mine was
a) Offensive Line is a ?? still.
b)playcalling
c) dropped passes that were catches
d)lack of ground game early on?
e) 3rd Down Conversions were unexcuseable
f) last ...the loss of Farooq...Broken Foot with Surgery required( two top WR's gone for the season)Gibson being the other
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

O-line play and injuries. From what I saw late in the game, EPL should move up the depth chart. He played well. Need Taylor back at tackle because Brown doesn’t appear to be the answer there. I think the dropped passes will get worked out.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Offense from a-z is a concern .
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Agree with most of the above.
The exception might be the play calling. I suspect they kept it very vanilla for this game. Given how poorly the o-line was handling the plays that WERE called, the coaches may have been reluctant to complicate things at this point.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I'm going to withhold critical comments for now. (Hated losing the shutout.)
OU won the game and covered the line.
There WERE some definite concerns, but I'm going to give the SOONERS a mulligan on this one.
First game!
Expect to see BIG improvements next Saturday. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

WR were not open much. JA threaded the needle anyway sometimes. I think the only open passes were to Bauer Sharp. The WR need to have more separation.

The WR not getting open was what limited the passing game, JA had to eat the ball and run a lot, giving him 11 carries for a 3 yard average even though he had some good runs for about 10 yards.

The rest of the run game was good other than Sawchuck who average 2.5 yards on 6 carries which was the most carries by a RB. Barnes had 5 carries averaging 6.6, Freanklin had 4 carries for 11.3 average and Tatum had 4 carries for 16.5 average.

What i liked: sharp accurate passing by JA, excellent FG kicking, all of the defense, the strong quick runs by Barnes, Franklin and Tatum, Hawkins performance, Bauer Sharp, the ability to play so many players….

Very impressive performance IMO :ou: :ou: :ou: :BV:
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

The score was good, how we got there was not so much pretty as it was a roller coaster rided. Our OL has a very long way to go - injuries notwithstanding. I can only hope that BB finds the right combination and is able to keep them healthy for the season. Dropped passes, pass protection (especially on blitzes), run blocking, all need a lot of work. JA has to make better RPO decisions - maybe not better, just quicker - when to hand off, when to pull and pass, or run. BV said the play calling was vanilla by design - so, I will give a bit of a pass on play calling - still anxious to see a lot more of the O before I can settle on my thoughts regarding SL's play calls.

Condsidering our level of competition, our D's talent shown and giving consideration that we didn't play all the starters on defense, I think it is possible that Team 130's D may actually be better than advertised. There is a lot of hungry talent in that unit, especially in the younger guys. The competitive depth BV talks about so much was very evident. They are all fast and like to hit. Just look at Taylor Wein, he really, really, likes to hit people, to the tune of 2 unsportsmanlike penalties on 1 play - that has to at at least tie some kind of record for number of penalty yards on a single play.

Overall, the special teams are already better than anything I saw last year - I am hoping that I won't have to hold my breath on ST play this year. I think we found our PK, but not sure about our P. The return teams already look more organized than what I saw last season.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

WOW Guys! We won 51 to 3 our first game we played 84 players. All of you say we didn't play a perfect game but show me a team that does. I am very happy with our team and lets see how perfect other teams play today they may be some upsets today. :ou: :ou:
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

The injury to Farooq sucks, but other than that it is difficult to get upset, or excited, after a game we won easily in spite of some mistakes and the obvious vanilla playcalling.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

O-line - they say the biggest improvement takes place between the first and second games - certainly hope this is true for us.

Injuries!!!!!! - gosh can we ever make it through a season without injuries to key players - I've about given up that will ever happen.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

1 of 12 3rd down conversions is a BIG worry for me. If we do that for the next two weeks too, then those games could become very uncomfortable.

I liked our Defense. That was awesome--and big improvement over the last several years. But let's not kid ourselves. It was Temple.

JA has a really nice touch on his passes, but the dang line has GOT to protect him better. And the receivers have to catch them.

The run game was a big disappointment to me. The rest of the SEC must be salivating over that.

Are we SEC ready?

Jury is still out to me.
aka Crimson47
Fly

Post by Fly »

All the post before mine are spot on. The truth is in front of us, we need to grow up fast. I love we scored 51 points, & our defense
played a big part in that. We are very young in many positions. We also have some very talented veteran transfers that will adjust
To our system. I,m sitting here writing this watching Georgia vs Clemson, thinking glad we did not have to play those boys this
weekend. We played Temple. This up coming week will tell us a lot. Houston is no push over. We have some great talent, but much of
that talent is raw. The transfers are not. But all in all we MUST get our running game going. Just a fact, plain & simple.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Same as everyone….OL.
“Come now, let us reason together “
pippen

Post by pippen »

I came away from the game disappointed. The o-line was borderline pathetic at times. Against an AAC team. The defense NEEDED the turnovers at times. They got 'em, but you can't depend on that week after week. The play-calling reminded me of last year after Lebby checked out. Temple was BAD. But, a win is a win is a win. I don't know that the defense is improved enough to win every game, but it is going to have to be unless the offense improves by leaps and bounds.

They appear to have toned down the scoreboard noise quite a bit, which was a welcome surprise. And if the band has to be on the field to play Boomer Sooner as the team comes out of the locker room, as it always should and never should have been kept from doing, then so be it. It got the crowd into the game from the get go, which the electronic noise from the scoreboard never has and never will.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I rewatched the first half twice today focusing only on the OL. There were many bad efforts. Brown doesn't look like a scout team player.

Once the injury occurred at center, we played a guard that had trouble focusing on anything but snapping. I think a REAL center will make the entire line much better. Timing was off and if the center blocking was deficient it caused guards to try to make up for it and they too failed.

In the run game (and some screens) OUr highly touted TE (#10) whiffed on more blocks than rookie hitters against Sandy Kaufax. 87 actually blocked really well from the TE spot.
texsa sucks!