OU vs Houston - Pick the Score Contest

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
gcruse7

OU vs Houston - Pick the Score Contest

Post by gcruse7 »

In an historic first game as a member of the SEC, OU rolled out a defense that looked worthy of the best conference in the land, holding Temple to under 200 yards and forcing 6 turnovers. As impressive as the defense was, the offense was less so. They had some moments, but it is hard to overlook 1 for 12 on third downs. According to SEC Shorts, as the Sooner fan base is complaining about our offense after scoring 51 points, we apparently fit right in to the SEC.

When it comes to the Pick the Score contest, waddy's ghost has no reason to complain. He was 1 point from perfection with his prediction of a 52-3 Sooner win. Congratulations waddy's ghost!

And just as the Sooner offense has a clean slate to work on in week 2, so do all of the Sooner Times Pick the Score contest participants. Each week stands alone. For week 2 the Sooners face a Houston team that, based on the week 1 performance, may be a worse team than Temple! I didn't watch their game, but saw that they got dominated at home by UNLV. I have a feeling that the Sooner offense, and especially the O-line will want to atone for their weak week 1 performance.

Based on my observation of many games this weekend and the new clock rules, I think in general scoring will be down this year, due to fewer plays per game. However I still think the Sooners roll against a pretty bad Cougar team. The Sooners rush for over 200 yards and pass for over 300 yards and the defense pitches a shutout.

:ou: 48
Houston 0
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Another half a hundred get's hung!

:ou: 59
Houston 6
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

OU 41-7
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Team 130...........62
Houston.............3
Last edited by WishBone on Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I think the Sooners are keeping their offense under wraps until needed. The Sooner are specifically not showing 3rd down tendencies, Since much of the last game was played in 4 down territory. Sooners have a plan for a long tough season.

I had not thought of the rule changes limiting the number of plays per game , i feel cheated …..

I will temper my score estimate since we dont need to expose our offense to tape versus UH. However i expect the defense to strive for a shut out.

48-0. Sooners roll….. :ou: :rice: :BV:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Well, I'm certainly tempering my expectations after what was on display last weekend.
Offensive Line improvements do come, but I don't think that's something you flip a switch and it changes.
Houston will be a second cupcake, but they may be no worse than an even match for Temple.

So while there may be improvement in the O-Line, my expectations have been lowered to

OU 41
Hou 0
aka Crimson47
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Image - 77

Image - 0
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

Zgeo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:40 am I think the Sooners are keeping their offense under wraps until needed. The Sooner are specifically not showing 3rd down tendencies, Since much of the last game was played in 4 down territory. Sooners have a plan for a long tough season.

I had not thought of the rule changes limiting the number of plays per game , i feel cheated …..

I will temper my score estimate since we dont need to expose our offense to tape versus UH. However i expect the defense to strive for a shut out.

Zgeo, I like your score pick - we think alike! However 48-0 has already been taken. You'll have to pick another score.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

gcruse7 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:17 pm
Zgeo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:40 am I think the Sooners are keeping their offense under wraps until needed. The Sooner are specifically not showing 3rd down tendencies, Since much of the last game was played in 4 down territory. Sooners have a plan for a long tough season.

Zgeo, I like your score pick - we think alike! However 48-0 has already been taken. You'll have to pick another score.
Ok i will go 47-0 Sooners win…..I figure we protect the WR from injury and just played TE at all receiver positions.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Sooners 38
Cougars 9
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

56-10

:ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

My,My we are Doomed :surrender: it will only be 34-0, Sooner win :boohoo: :eyes: :deadhorse:

🪰 :BV: :ou:
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Houston looks every bit as bad as Temple. OU should be much better on offense.

OU = 59
Houston = 03
texsa sucks!
walt

Post by walt »

My guess would be 49 OU vx Houston 10.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

The bettors seem to split around a 39-10 type of game. I'll say OU keeps Houston close to 10 but OU does a bit better that 39 points.....

OU...........43

Houston....10