Well, I was wrong, thankfully!

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
bigedell

Well, I was wrong, thankfully!

Post by bigedell »

I posted that we would "lose to Tulane...". I missed that one, and there were times when the offense showed life! My second prediction was we get beat by Tennessee. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one as well, but to hear the local radio teams tell it, the Sooners have 2 choices: 1. Play like they did in the 1st and 4th quarters and lose by a little; 2. Play like they did in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and get drummed. I might be a little bit of a "Negative Nancy", but I don't think they have 0 chance this week!

The offense showed some signs of life, Jackson Arnold is beginning to show what made him a 5 star pick, and UT has, basically, played the Little Sisters of the Poor for three weeks, so they may be awesome, but they haven't been punched in the mouth yet to see.

Here's hoping that we see improvement again from
week to week, and shock the Vols.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

bigdell wrote...

..."they have 0 chance this week" :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
bigedell

Post by bigedell »

Just reread my post. What I meant was that to say the Sooners have 0 chance is insane! I know it's Tennessee, but dang, the radio guys are just basically saying don't bother to show up!
walt

Post by walt »

Any teams that loses the best WRs and multiple O line players. AT least two key OU WRs out is a huge loss to any team.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
pippen

Post by pippen »

bigedell wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:12 am Just reread my post. What I meant was that to say the Sooners have 0 chance is insane! I know it's Tennessee, but dang, the radio guys are just basically saying don't bother to show up!
I love it when they say we have no chance.
captnop

Post by captnop »

walt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:16 am Any teams that loses the best WRs and multiple O line players. AT least two key OU WRs out is a huge loss to any team.
EXACTLY !!!! I think the average fan doesn't realize how big a difference this makes. Sure we have a bunch of highly touted freshmen .. but they are young and the group needs to play together. Thank goodness TT has emerged. He's the exception not the rule.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Tennessee has not played a team with comparable talent this year. Their offense is like those of tbow. When they click and get a big lead, the defense is "good" because the other team has to press to make a comeback.

While OU has not played as well as Tenn, OU has improved and beat a Tulane team that is better than any team Tenn has played.

If OU plays like it did in the first and fourth quarters for the whole game, OU WILL WIN.
texsa sucks!
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

captnop wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:25 pm
walt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:16 am Any teams that loses the best WRs and multiple O line players. AT least two key OU WRs out is a huge loss to any team.
EXACTLY !!!! I think the average fan doesn't realize how big a difference this makes. Sure we have a bunch of highly touted freshmen .. but they are young and the group needs to play together. Thank goodness TT has emerged. He's the exception not the rule.
Finally figured out that TT = Taylor Tatum, not Texas Tech.
Then it made more sense.
IMAsooner

Post by IMAsooner »

Not that I am superstitious... but... bigedell, who you got this week? Let's keep the string alive! Pick Tennessee!
Love OU — Live by GRACE!
bigedell

Post by bigedell »

IMAsooner wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:57 pm Not that I am superstitious... but... bigedell, who you got this week? Let's keep the string alive! Pick Tennessee!
If it makes you feel better! :D

I said on another post that I would be very happy with a win, and not surprised with a loss. The issue is that their strength is their D line, and our O line is well...PA...THET...IC! Because of injury, we are playing young guys and guys who SHOULD be 2nd or 3rd stringers, and it's not helping our VERY young QB.

Maybe BV has been playing a little bit of "possum" and keeping guys who could have gone out of the lineup until this game to make sure they are healthy and rested, and maybe we haven't seen the entire offensive playbook, (and I REALLY hope this is true or Seth Littrell needs to GO!), but the offensive struggles and injuries don't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Sooner Magic is a real thing, and I'm hoping for some, but in this case, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. We need to spend the next offseason trying to get that "competitive depth" on the offensive line as well as the D. JMHO.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I have to admit I'm surprised with all the gun shy OU fans. I understand it but am surprised. Look at Georgia, everyone and their dog thought they were going to stroll to the playoffs/NC this year and - they were talked up as the cream of the crop this year through 2 games - then all the sudden Kentucky showed the real state of Georgia (after Kentucky got smoked by SC). It is a proof that watching early games and false/incorrect expectations mean NOTHING when it comes to the play on the field.

I realize as OU fans we have had a bit of a gut punch these last few years, but when has OU never risen to the occasion in the past? All I can think of is the playoff games of 18 and 19 when most of the world gave us a fighting chance. But those were Lincoln coached teams that everyone loved and were favored many times when they should not have been. We had the benefit of the doubt then whereas now we are not getting any of that.

It is all subjective to some point. I think our injuries have definitely played a part in lessening the expectations, but this is still an OU team that for the most part has 3 years of top 10 classes of recruits playing on it. I'll come back and admit it if I'm wrong, but I fully expect this game to be very similar to the texas game last season. We have too good of players who should have a massive chip on their shoulder and while Tenn looks great on paper, they did last season as well and got taken to the woodshed themselves a few times last year.
Fly

Post by Fly »

I have a gut feeling our Sooners are going to prevail. I watched Tenn game last week, & they looked good but not Great. I think
yes we are underdogs & understand that. But our defense is still dam good. A turn over here or there, I think we can win.No way
I,m giving up on this bunch,I expect a good tuff game.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
bigedell

Post by bigedell »

ALRIGHT! You can forget EVERYTHING I've said up until now! I've spent the last 3 hours listening to EVERY REPORTER basically saying that OU doesn't even need to show up! I hope they come out and shove the ball down the gullets of those creeps wearing those HIDEOUS ORANGE uniforms! I would like to see some personal foul penalties for roughing the passer and ripping the helmet off of some of this offensive linemen! This is no longer just a big game, as I'm developing a TEXASS level hate for these hillbillies! I say kill them...kill them all!