Week 4 Pick'em Games - Week 3 Results

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
EMan

Week 4 Pick'em Games - Week 3 Results

Post by EMan »

OK, let’s just admit it. When it comes to football, we’re a stubborn lot. Some of our biases and opinions are so set in stone that it’s like pulling teeth to get us to change. And that even includes those instances when there’s a mountain of evidence to the contrary staring us right in the face! It doesn’t matter what the facts say, we know it’s not that way! Case in point, Florida State. In the first two weeks of this season, FSU lost to Georgia Tech (in Dublin, Ireland) and to Boston College (at home). The Seminoles were 0-2 right out of the gate. But it’s not just that they lost. No, it’s more than that because any team can lose a couple of games. It’s that they also looked mediocre at best in the process. There was nothing in those first two games that would lead anyone to believe that Florida St. was on the verge of putting it all together. Yet with all this supporting evidence to draw upon, and an opening line of FSU -1.5 points, all 34 players in our Pick’em contest took FSU to win. ALL 34! Now I’m not saying it’s surprising the majority of players would take FSU… but everyone?!? Normally, 100% agreement in this contest is saved for OU games, and games like Georgia giving 43 to some directional school. It rarely happens if the spread is under 10. So, wouldn’t you think there’d be at least ONE of our intrepid crew that would go against the grain and perhaps consider that maybe FSU really isn’t playing that well and might lose? Obviously not! I guess sometimes we can’t admit to ourselves that what we’re seeing is really happening. So, like lemmings gathered on the precipice, we all jumped off the cliff when Memphis prevailed, 20-12.

Like I said, we’re a stubborn lot when it comes to football. Maybe someday we’ll be willing to accept change more readily. And if you believe that…

Meanwhile, as far as the rest of the games go in the Pick’em contest, it was an interesting week indeed. Not surprisingly, our top value contest, Central Florida on the road at TCU, was the game changer. Many of us (and I’m included in that group) appeared to be cruising to an easy 20-point Pick’em win when TCU went up 28-7 in the third quarter. But something happened on the way to the winner’s circle. UCF didn’t get the memo that the game was over and instead decided to keep playing. The Knights proceeded to score 4 touchdowns in the second half and came all the way back to claim a stunning 35-34 come-from-behind win. So much for counting those chickens! The biggest beneficiary to the comeback was our eventual Week 3 winner, Fly. Fly nailed 6 of the top 7 high-value games enroute to an 11-point weekly win! Well done, Fly! That’s putting the ol’ crystal ball to good use! Your only loss in those 7 games was riding that same FSU bandwagon the rest of us were on. But it worked out for you! Enjoy basking in the glory of your Pick’em bragging rights! Sitting in second place this week, we had a tie between OU_Tom2 and bvillesooner2, with SoonerLynx in fourth, and another tie for fifth between gcruse7 and IMAsooner. Congrats to all on surviving another tough Pick’em week!

As far as our regular season championship is concerned, SD-OU retained his perch at the top of our standings. SD has opened up a 17-point advantage over runner up OU_Tom2, with former Pick’em champion bvillesooner2 sitting in third, followed by Wishbone and gcruse7 in fourth and fifth respectively. You can see all the year-to-date standings by clicking HERE.

So, now it’s time to move on to Week 4 and our next list of teasers! Deadline for submittals this week will be 11 AM, Saturday, September 21st. You can access this week’s games by clicking on the “EMan’s Pick’em Contest” button at the top of the board, or by clicking HERE. This week our slate includes:

UCLA @ LSU
Vanderbilt @ Missouri
Miami (FL) @ South Florida
No. Carolina St. @ Clemson
Northwestern @ Washington
Kansas St. @ BYU
Tennessee @ Oklahoma
USC @ Michigan
Michigan St. @ Boston College
Purdue @ Oregon St.
Florida @ Miss. St.
Arkansas @ Auburn
Arizona St. @ Texas Tech
Tulsa @ La. Tech
TCU @ SMU
California @ Florida St.
Kansas @ West Virginia
Utah @ Oklahoma St.
Iowa @ Minnesota
Baylor @ Colorado

Once again, remember to make sure you get your picks in by 11 AM on Saturday, September 21st. As a reminder, you can always go back before the deadline and change any pick you’ve made. Just use the “Review Pick” button on the Pick’em page to edit your selections. Good luck! And good pickin’!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...Good job, Horsefly!

You're a f*rt smeller, Jim er,...I men a smart feller! Congrats! Good Work. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Thanks buddy, I appreciate that. But the bad thing on my picks this weeks was at the last minute I changed my vote to Tulane
over our beloved Sooners. I have never done that in my entire life NEVER.I feel really bad about that, I really do. I never gave
up on these kids, it was all the injury's & all the research I did on Tulane, I did not feel we could over come that. But those
young men showed what they are made of. Never will I lose faith in this bunch again.

Boomer Sooner 🪰Fly :BV:
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

My problem will be choosing between the overrated and depleted Mich team and the overrated and soft USC team. BOTH should lose, thus either could accidentally win.

Late in the week, I will throw a mental dart to choose that game....
texsa sucks!
IMAsooner

Post by IMAsooner »

Okay pickers... fess up... How many of you are pickin' Tennessee this week? Sadly, I have even picked Heupel's team to cover. I hope I'm not the only one heading into this game with little hope to win.

btw, I will be at the game this week, standing in the stands and shouting at the top of my lungs.... SEC... SEC... SEC...SEC... SEC... SEC...SEC... SEC... SEC...SEC... SEC... SEC...?

Nope. Not a chance. BOOMER! SOONER! Come on team 130! Shock me and shock the world! I'm here for that.
Love OU — Live by GRACE!
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

IMAsooner wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:54 pm Okay pickers... fess up... How many of you are pickin' Tennessee this week? Sadly, I have even picked Heupel's team to cover. I hope I'm not the only one heading into this game with little hope to win.

btw, I will be at the game this week, standing in the stands and shouting at the top of my lungs.... SEC... SEC... SEC...SEC... SEC... SEC...SEC... SEC... SEC...SEC... SEC... SEC...?

Nope. Not a chance. BOOMER! SOONER! Come on team 130! Shock me and shock the world! I'm here for that.
I'd rather lose any message board contest than pick against Oklahoma. What's the point of being a fan if you can't be unnaturally optimistic!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well I can respect your opinion but why enter a contest & lie to yourself when picking. It did make me feel bad though. But what ever you think of me is your opinion.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

Fly, my response was to IMASooner's question about the Tennessee game. I was not thinking about any specific person when responding.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Echo

Post by Echo »

Congratulations Fly...every week seems to get more risky trying to pick a winner. I always pick OU so it could be a rough year for me.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Don't forget to get your picks in for this week. Here's who's in so far...

Aries
Bixby_Sooner
Blue
Bronco
Chiefs16
cushcreekmont
Echo
EMan
Fiascosdad
Fly
gcruse7
GradyW
humblesooner
IMAsooner
mthatch190
OldTimer
OU Chinaman
OU_Tom2
poh302
Professor
Soonerator
SoonerLynx
whitefeather
WishBone
K2C Sooner

Post by K2C Sooner »

Bixby find another partner. Can't get into system and bed ridden
Sorry
[
EMan

Post by EMan »

K2C Sooner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:41 pm Bixby find another partner. Can't get into system and bed ridden
Sorry
If you want to PM me your picks or just post them here, I can put them in for you. But if it's become too much to handle under the circumstances and you want to bow out I completely understand. Prayers your way!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

K2C Sooner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:41 pm Bixby find another partner. Can't get into system and bed ridden
Sorry
hang in there K2C. Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help.
::rice2:: :dude:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

Sorry

...is it radiation or chemo therapy you're doing currently?
Genuinely concerned, John. FIGHT IT! HANG ON!
You never really fail unless you quit!
YOUR SOONER SPIRIT WILL SUSTAIN YOU!!!

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Sorry
Prayers for you. Get well and back on your feet ASAP! That is the most important thing.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22