2026 recruiting talk

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
navier

Post by navier »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:35 am
I doubt that Coach Gasso does a 'favor' to anyone. The player has to be expected to be able to compete for playing time or time in the circle and the player must fit the OU program.
Of course they are expected to compete and fit in..she just isn't counting on them. She has signed pitchers/players from OK before that fit that profile because it is good to have OK kids on the roster..there is a freshman that fits that profile perfectly...

As to finding negatives, I am just trying to be unbiased. You cannot let your OU boxer shorts cut off the circulation to your brain..
cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

Looks like EK Smith has visited A&M and Florida but still uncommitted. Hopefully we have a visit coming up. Sounds like Tuua is taking other visits. I’m wondering if this is going to be a small class, maybe 4. With all the pitching we got in 25 class it’s not a must have in this class but there is some good prospects still out there.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

navier wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:52 am
I doubt that Coach Gasso does a 'favor' to anyone. The player has to be expected to be able to compete for playing time or time in the circle and the player must fit the OU program.
Of course they are expected to compete and fit in..she just isn't counting on them. She has signed pitchers/players from OK before that fit that profile because it is good to have OK kids on the roster..there is a freshman that fits that profile perfectly...
There is a bit of a difference since the recruiting rule change. I agree that there were offers to commits to "State of OK players" when it was unsure if they would contribute or not. But since the rule change, I would not say that there have been any. I think the rule changes was implemented for the 2022 class, maybe the 2021 class. Most of the players until the Class of 2024 were already committed way before their Junior HS season. The Class of 2024 was the first time that we really did not have any commits until Sept 1.

I think both freshman this year, Chaney Helton and Kady McKay will be good Sooner players. Helton is a great defensive outfielder and has potential to be a stronger version of Rylie Boone. But there is great competition for OF spots upcoming. Helton will be at least a Reagan Rogers type I think. McKay is a strong powerful LH hitter who can play the corners and maybe RF as well as DP. Her power can keep her in the lineup at some point as long as she makes contact enough. I think both will be around for four years and contribute.

I think my OU shorts fit just fine.....
navier

Post by navier »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:40 am
There is a bit of a difference since the recruiting rule change. I agree that there were offers to commits to "State of OK players" when it was unsure if they would contribute or not. But since the rule change, I would not say that there have been any. I think the rule changes was implemented for the 2022 class, maybe the 2021 class. Most of the players until the Class of 2024 were already committed way before their Junior HS season. The Class of 2024 was the first time that we really did not have any commits until Sept 1.

I think both freshman this year, Chaney Helton and Kady McKay will be good Sooner players. Helton is a great defensive outfielder and has potential to be a stronger version of Rylie Boone. But there is great competition for OF spots upcoming. Helton will be at least a Reagan Rogers type I think. McKay is a strong powerful LH hitter who can play the corners and maybe RF as well as DP. Her power can keep her in the lineup at some point as long as she makes contact enough. I think both will be around for four years and contribute.

Helton I haven’t really seen outside of a few ABs in the Alliance Championship series so I will reserve judgement. With regards to McKay, while one season is not the end all be all (and stats don't always tell the whole story), check out her stats from last summer’s TB season. Hopefully for the kid’s sake it was an aberration but barely hitting .300 in TB isn’t a good indication that she will be able to handle SEC pitching (regardless of the level of TB..there were 5 kids with better OPS on her team and 10 with better BA). Hitting is tough, perhaps there was something small mechanical going on with her swing that is an easy fix that will put her back on the right track. We'll just have to see I guess. Also I have seen her play a number of times and IMO you correctly noted that she isn’t a SS which is what she has played so far.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

navier wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:23 am

Helton I haven’t really seen outside of a few ABs in the Alliance Championship series so I will reserve judgement. With regards to McKay, while one season is not the end all be all (and stats don't always tell the whole story), check out her stats from last summer’s TB season. Hopefully for the kid’s sake it was an aberration but barely hitting .300 in TB isn’t a good indication that she will be able to handle SEC pitching (regardless of the level of TB..there were 5 kids with better OPS on her team and 10 with better BA). Hitting is tough, perhaps there was something small mechanical going on with her swing that is an easy fix that will put her back on the right track. We'll just have to see I guess. Also I have seen her play a number of times and IMO you correctly noted that she isn’t a SS which is what she has played so far.
I will admit that McKay had a tough tournament here in Norman this summer. But, if you have watched her when she is not struggling a bit, she can hit the ball well. I believe she has a good-eye also which helps the OB%. Do not give up on her and let's see what the coaching at OU can do. The power is there!. If she hits .350 has an OB% of .450 and hits double-digit HRs she can play at OU, right?
navier

Post by navier »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:17 am
navier wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:23 am

I will admit that McKay had a tough tournament here in Norman this summer. But, if you have watched her when she is not struggling a bit, she can hit the ball well. I believe she has a good-eye also which helps the OB%. Do not give up on her and let's see what the coaching at OU can do. The power is there!. If she hits .350 has an OB% of .450 and hits double-digit HRs she can play at OU, right?
Like I said, hitting is tough and it doesn’t take much for the
wheels to fall off..especially when facing good competition (which her TB team did) Hopefully JT can get her right.
navier

Post by navier »

cclift38 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:09 am Looks like EK Smith has visited A&M and Florida but still uncommitted. Hopefully we have a visit coming up. Sounds like Tuua is taking other visits. I’m wondering if this is going to be a small class, maybe 4. With all the pitching we got in 25 class it’s not a must have in this class but there is some good prospects still out there.
Rackley's TB team made a post on X today where they tagged teams where their players will be making visits this weekend..OU was one of them. So unless they are looking at another kid from her team (which is a possibility..they have a good team) she might be taking an official this weekend.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

navier wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:18 am
cclift38 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:09 am Looks like EK Smith has visited A&M and Florida but still uncommitted. Hopefully we have a visit coming up. Sounds like Tuua is taking other visits. I’m wondering if this is going to be a small class, maybe 4. With all the pitching we got in 25 class it’s not a must have in this class but there is some good prospects still out there.
Rackley's TB team made a post on X today where they tagged teams where their players will be making visits this weekend..OU was one of them. So unless they are looking at another kid from her team (which is a possibility..they have a good team) she might be taking an official this weekend.
Thank you for sharing that information.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Could be Shayla Bahr too. Some posters thought we had her in our sights as well.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Well, we know for sure it's not Rackley, so likely Shayla Bahr is one of the three that's visiting this weekend.

And....maybe we decided to call E.K. after all too....
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:19 am Well, we know for sure it's not Rackley, so likely Shayla Bahr is one of the three that's visiting this weekend.

Did I miss something about Rackley?
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:16 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:19 am Well, we know for sure it's not Rackley, so likely Shayla Bahr is one of the three that's visiting this weekend.

Did I miss something about Rackley?
yeah....posted this morning over on the Softball365 board--she's on this weekend's visitor list for LSU:

https://www.lsudaily.com/post/unleashin ... -the-natio

Edit:
Tuua is in Baton Rouge also this weekend along with Rackley and others.
aka Crimson47
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

When I read the exchanges above I think Patty must roll her eyes if she reads them. The posters have stayed way out of their lane.