A Reminder: Give the Recruiting SB Class of 2026 a Chance!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Bottom post of the previous page:

navier wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:10 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:15 am Berkley Zache, Riley Zache and Audrey Lowry all played for Tennessee Mojo Fisher/Ramsey last summer. When Zache was not pitching she played quite a bit at 1B/DP and she hit in the middle of the lineup. Mojo had a strong hitting lineup with several top recruits at top D1 schools.
Yes Mojo Fisher is a good club. Weird that she only hit .356
HS ball if she was a middle of the lineup hitter on that team.
If a player is top player, many times in high school ball they are pitched around and/or not thrown many pitches to hit. It is not a true reflection of the ability of the player. But here are Berkley Zache's stats for all three high school season (FR/SO/JR).

FR - 2022 -> .302 BA, .381 OB%, .523 Slug%, 97 PA, 26 hits, 5 doubles, 1 triple and 4 HRs, 24 RBIs, 11 walks, 14 Ks

SO - 2023 -> .531 BA, .602 OB%, 1.052 Slug%, 113 PA, 51 hits, 17 doubles, 3 triples, 9 HRs, 46 RBIs, 16 walks, 14 Ks

JR - 2024 -> .356 BA, .562 OB%, .610 Slug%, 89 PA, 21 hits, 9 doubles, 2 HRs, 18 RBIs, 26 walks, 11 Ks

I cannot find any summer stats.
navier

Post by navier »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:33 am
navier wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:10 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:15 am Berkley Zache, Riley Zache and Audrey Lowry all played for Tennessee Mojo Fisher/Ramsey last summer. When Zache was not pitching she played quite a bit at 1B/DP and she hit in the middle of the lineup. Mojo had a strong hitting lineup with several top recruits at top D1 schools.
Yes Mojo Fisher is a good club. Weird that she only hit .356
HS ball if she was a middle of the lineup hitter on that team.
If a player is top player, many times in high school ball they are pitched around and/or not thrown many pitches to hit. It is not a true reflection of the ability of the player. But here are Berkley Zache's stats for all three high school season (FR/SO/JR).

FR - 2022 -> .302 BA, .381 OB%, .523 Slug%, 97 PA, 26 hits, 5 doubles, 1 triple and 4 HRs, 24 RBIs, 11 walks, 14 Ks

SO - 2023 -> .531 BA, .602 OB%, 1.052 Slug%, 113 PA, 51 hits, 17 doubles, 3 triples, 9 HRs, 46 RBIs, 16 walks, 14 Ks

JR - 2024 -> .356 BA, .562 OB%, .610 Slug%, 89 PA, 21 hits, 9 doubles, 2 HRs, 18 RBIs, 26 walks, 11 Ks

I cannot find any summer stats.
According to GameChanger both sisters hit at the bottom of
that Mojo lineup this past summer..at least for the last 15 or so games I checked. Also if you are pitched around that will effect your counting stats..not your batting avg unless you have zero plate discipline.

Look around the country at the top teams that have pitchers
hit. All those kids hit in the top of their lineup in college. If a pitcher is going to be hitting at the bottom of the lineup, in college it is not worth the possible negatives incurred by having a pitcher hit. Last pitcher that hit regularly for OU was Ricketts and where did she hit?

I have seen Parker hit, she can be that type of hitter but
I am not even sure they recruited her as a pitcher. Like I said
I have not seen Zache hit so I will reserve final judgment
but it certainly looks like she isn’t going to be a top
if the order type hitter at OU.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

This is an idea of the HS competition Berkley Zache has faced:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/h ... 529924001/

They weren't playing slo-pitch.
Last edited by TropicalSooner on Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Crimson47
navier

Post by navier »

It’s hard enough to be an elite pitcher OR hitter. Being both takes a special type of athlete which is why it is so rare nowadays at Top 20 programs…you only have so many hours
in a week to get all the work in you need to in order to be elite and still try to be a teenager…🤷🏽‍♂️
navier

Post by navier »

TropicalSooner wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:54 am This is an idea of the HS competition Berkley Zache has faced:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/h ... 529924001/

They weren't playing slo-pitch.
Yeah and my kid has faced Keegan Baker this HS season...what is your point? They face good pitching once in a while but not as consistently as they do in travel ball. I didn’t say every pitcher they face was lousy.

What is Parker hitting this Fall? I bet it is North of .500. Goose Hutchens has like 15 HR in 30 games this HS season and she gets
walked half the time (and I know she is not a pitcher but to my above point if she commits to OU she will be a top of the order type kid)
Last edited by navier on Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Based on what I saw last summer, I think Parker can hit at OU, Bordi was injured so still a question mark, Berkeley probably pitching only at OU.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

oufanforever wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:12 am Based on what I saw last summer, I think Parker can hit at OU, Bordi was injured so still a question mark, Berkeley probably pitching only at OU.
"navier" commented:
According to GameChanger both sisters hit at the bottom of
that Mojo lineup this past summer..at least for the last 15 or so games I checked. Also if you are pitched around that will effect your counting stats..not your batting avg unless you have zero plate discipline.

I lean strongly toward what "oufanforever" said. I have seen enough of Parker hit to think she will probably get at bats at OU. I also think she is becoming a very good pitcher and has a very high top side as a pitcher. I have not seen enough of Berkley Zache hit live pitching. I have seen more of her hitting in a cage. I do not think many players for OU will do both, pitch and hit regularly. I would say that Allyssa Parker has a chance to do that. We will have to wait and see about Berkley Zache.

As for what "navier" said and HS stats. I have a little different thought about that. If you a really good hitter, maybe the coach or team needs you expand your strike zone a little and not 'just' walk all the time if the pitchers are nibbling. In trying to help the team, maybe you swing at pitches maybe you would not at times. It does not mean that you do not have discipline. There are 'degrees' about everything. A top level hitter can hit so much better than an average HS hitter that it can pay to expand the hitting zone a bit at that level. I would never encourage that at the D1 level for Oklahoma though. Maybe it can be agreed, it is a wait and see thing about Berkley Zache.

BTW - EIS is publishing their 2025 rankings currently. They now rank the positions separately. (Pitchers Top 100/Catchers Top 60/Infielders Top ??/Outfielders Top ??) They just finished the pitchers. Allyssa Parker was ranked as the #2 pitcher by EIS. Sophia Bordi and Berkley Zache were not ranked in their Top 100 pitchers. With Bordi not pitching except for about half of her high school season, I understand her not being ranked. We will see how she bounces back this next season. As for Berkley Zache, I am hoping she will be ranked as an infielder as they place 2-way players at just one position. They just started with the catchers. Hopefully Kendall Wells (C) will be ranked highly. Hopefully, Lexi McDaniel (INF). Hopefully, Kai Minor (OF) will be ranked highly.
navier

Post by navier »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:57 am

As for what "navier" said and HS stats. I have a little different thought about that. If you a really good hitter, maybe the coach or team needs you expand your strike zone a little and not 'just' walk all the time if the pitchers are nibbling. In trying to help the team, maybe you swing at pitches maybe you would not at times. It does not mean that you do not have discipline. There are 'degrees' about everything. A top level hitter can hit so much better than an average HS hitter that it can pay to expand the hitting zone a bit at that level. I would never encourage that at the D1 level for Oklahoma though. Maybe it can be agreed, it is a wait and see thing about Berkley Zache.
A lot of the current OU players who hit at OU have their HS BA listed in their OU bios. Tell me what they were (these were all really good hitters in HS). I agree about expanding your zone to help your team in HS (although Ted Williams would disagree..). My kid has done that a bit this year..much to my dismay at times...lol (her exact quote was "I need to try and drive those kids in because the kids behind me won't"...yeah sure..doesn't mean you need to swing at pitches at your shoulders :smokingmad: ). That said kids who are going to hit at OU can do that and still hit for a high average (which in HS is .450+) against HS pitching. Also, like I said above, Zache hit at the bottom of the lineup for her Mojo team..

Of course it is wait and see. It is that way for every kid they bring in. I doubt Patty has any freshmen penciled in at the 3 hole when they come in..(ok maybe she had Jocelyn penciled in..lol) We are all just speculating.
navier

Post by navier »

navier wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:58 am
What is Parker hitting this Fall? I bet it is North of .500.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

So far 3 commits haven’t been highly rated. I am guessing that they all looked really good at one of Patty's camps
::rice2:: :dude:
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OU_Tom wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:52 am So far 3 commits haven’t been highly rated. I am guessing that they all looked really good at one of Patty's camps
I would say that the statistical analysis (analytics) of their pitching, their swings and the athletic ability has met the standard for what OU is looking for. I truly believe that OU is ahead of most people in analytics, and that they are looking a things that are way beyond the "eye test", even the best of them.
cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

Examining the last 3 OU softball classes and what might be needed in the 26 class:

The 24 class was considered the #1 class its a big class:

There are 3 infielders in the class. Gabbie Garcie the #8 position player, Sydney Barker #4 position player and top 14 player, and Kadey Mccay #14 posion and top 56 player.
The only pitcher is Audrey Lowry #2 pitcher top 3-5 player in most rankings.
2 catchers Riley Zache 21 position and Corri HIcks top 7 position and top 25 ranking
Tia MIlloy UTL top 72 players. Has been said can play anywhere outfield and infield
The only pure outfielde is Chaney Helton top 11 position and topo 44.

The 25 class I will use the new ON3 rankings to show you how impressive this class is.

There is one outfielder Kia Minor who is the overall number 1 player.
There is one infielder Lexi McDaniel #1 at position and 3 nationally
There is one catcher Kendall Wells #1 at position and 5 nationally
3 pitchers Allyssa Parker #1 position and #2 nationally, Sophia Bordi #5 at position and #12 nationally and would be higher has she not been injured. Berkley Zache #6 at position and #14 nationally. To list that out.

#1 Kai Minor
#2 Allyssa Parker
#3 Lexi McDaniel
#5 Kendell Wells
#12 Sophia Bordi
#14 Berkley Zache

The 6 class has 3 verbal's
1 pitcher number 10 at position and ranked #25 Malaya Majam-Finch
1 outfielder Payton Westra number 7 and position and ranked #41 national
1 infielder Jerrell Mailo #18 position and 40 national.

The pitching is pretty stacked and probably done. The 1 pitcher OU could still be on is Keegan Baker #18 national and 9 position just ahead of finch. She's from Edmond and rumored to have visited. On3 does not show any teams of interest.

OU only has 2 pure outfield recruits so it seems like a position of need Its hard to gauge this position because they move other positions there also. The only player in the top 10 that we know that OU has interest is Shayla Bahr #6 at position and #38 nationally. The top 3 at the position are verballed.

OU doesn't seem to need a catcher this cycle and the position is mostly verballed With Wells, Hicks, and Bordi the future looks good.

OU has 4 infielders verballed but only 1 in 26 class so taking 1 or 2 might be a possibility. The player I think we all want is Ki'ele Ho-Ching number 2 at position and 3 nationally. I think she's a future all american and would put some juice in overall class. ON3 shows her with 3 schools of interest. OU, Texas and UCLA. UCLA has geography on its side as she shows to live 11 miles from campus. This is a battle I really don't want to lose to Texas as it would give them the top 2 infielders in the class. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one The other infielder is McLaine Hudson who is from Kentucky. Her 2 schools of interest show to be OU and Florida. Number 4 at position and 14 nationally. I almost feel both players are takes if you can get them.

So the watch list for final spots from what I can see is

Ki'ele Ho-Ching INF
McLaine Hudson INF
Shayla Bahr OF
Keegan Baker P

And Patty has totally surprised us with every recruit so far so take it with a grain of salt.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

The catcher class for 2027 is stacked. I can totally see OU skipping 26 catcher and trying to land multiple good ones in 27.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

cclift38 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:35 pm Examining the last 3 OU softball classes and what might be needed in the 26 class:

OU doesn't seem to need a catcher this cycle and the position is mostly verballed With Wells, Hicks, and Bordi the future looks good.

OU has 4 infielders verballed but only 1 in 26 class so taking 1 or 2 might be a possibility. The player I think we all want is Ki'ele Ho-Ching number 2 at position and 3 nationally. I think she's a future all american and would put some juice in overall class. ON3 shows her with 3 schools of interest. OU, Texas and UCLA. UCLA has geography on its side as she shows to live 11 miles from campus. This is a battle I really don't want to lose to Texas as it would give them the top 2 infielders in the class. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one The other infielder is McLaine Hudson who is from Kentucky. Her 2 schools of interest show to be OU and Florida. Number 4 at position and 14 nationally. I almost feel both players are takes if you can get them.

Ki'ele Ho-Ching INF
McLaine Hudson INF
Shayla Bahr OF
Keegan Baker P

And Patty has totally surprised us with every recruit so far so take it with a grain of salt.
You meant Zache there I think?
aka Crimson47
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Most club teams have their best athlete at SS, so it's reasonable to assume that you recruit shortstops for any position except pitcher and catcher. Coleman was a SS. Shay Knighten, Sydney Romero, and Caleigh Clifton were all shortstops and that's not where they played at OU.

Same for Elijah Flores, Taylon Snow, Alyssa Brito, Avery Hodge, Alynah Torres, and Nelly McEnroe-Marianas.
cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:53 pm
cclift38 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:35 pm Examining the last 3 OU softball classes and what might be needed in the 26 class:

Ki'ele Ho-Ching INF
McLaine Hudson INF
Shayla Bahr OF
Keegan Baker P

You meant Zache there I think?

Good pickup.