Sooner Volleyball Travels to Baton Rogue to play LSU on Friday!

Forum to discuss OU volleyball
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Volleyball Travels to Baton Rogue to play LSU on Friday!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Volleyball Team will be on the road to play in Baton Rogue, LA against LSU on Friday night at 7 PM.

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the match with LSU.

Good luck to the Sooners in their match against LSU.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I do not have much new to say about the Sooners Volleyball Team. I sound like a broken record I think. The Sooners can win anytime they step on the floor. They have more than enough of an offensive attack with their front line and they handle the ball well enough on defense with their strong blocking game at the net. The three keys for the Sooners are to be more efficient on the attack, (have less hitting errors), to be more effetive at the service line (have less service errors, especially on the first serving attempt) and to handle the first touch better on receptions. If the Sooners get the ball to their setter (Chamberlain) in good shape, the offense is strong.

About LSU, I will say this. They are dominated by #5 Jurnee Robinson (6'1") on offense. She plays the full six roatations and she has 30% of their atempts at the net and almost twice the number of the #2 hitter for LSU. A Sooner play on the front row has to know where see is all the time and if she is in her 1/3 of the court, they must be ready on the block. Robinson is also LSU's best blocker. She must be a very good player.

The LSU serving game is about like OU's. Maybe the Sooners can up their serving game tonight.

Good luck to the Sooners tonight in Baton Rogue.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In a very close match, The Sooners dropped their match to LSU in 4 sets by the scores of 25-22, 22-25, 24-26 and 22-25. LSU played very well in the final points of the last three sets to win all three.

In Set 2, with OU leading 20-19, LSU won six of 8 points and the last 5 points to win the sets.
In Set 3, with OU leading 21-19, LSU won 4 of the last 7 points and the last 4 points. Earlier in the set, OU led 17-10 but LSU won 5 straight points to close the gap to 17-15.
In Set 4, with OU trailing 18-21, LSU won 4 of the last 7 points, and the last 3 points to win th set and the match.
In Set 1, where OU won by 3 points, OU led 21-19 and they wonn 4 of the last 7 points to win the match 25-22.

Once again, OU outscored their opponents with 72.5 points earned to 67.0 poiints earned. But they Sooners committed 10 more errors during the match with 48 to LSU's 38 errors. When you outscore the opponet by 5 and then you also give the opponent 10 points on errors, you lose by 4.5 points. In a close match that was the difference as the Sooners were outscored by only 5 points in the 4 set match. Oklahoma also led with 33 DIGs to LSU's 26.0 as they were led by Callie Kemohah with 11 DIGs. OU also outblocked LSU with 9.5 points compared to 6.0 points for LSU.

Once again it was those Oklahoma errors.

Individully, Alexis Shelton played well last night with a Kill% of over 50% and 24.5 points with 21 kills and a +14 on positive kills at the net. Kari Geissberger added 10.0 points with 10 kills and a +4 on positive kills. Lydia Martin added 10.0 points on 9 kills with 0 errors for a +9 on positive kills. Hannah Pfiffner started at the second MB spot last night and also added 10 points, with 7 kills for a +5 on positive kills. Kamille Gibson scored 8.5 points but had a -1 on positive kills. Daleigh Ellison also played in set on the outside.

Jasmin Ellison recorded 4 Service Aces last night as the Sooners had a total of 8 Aces.

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the LSU match last night.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/10/1 ... our-to-lsu

The Sooners are off until next Friday when they will travel to Georgia to face the Bulldogs and then travel onto South Carolina to face the Gamecocks on Sunday before reeturning home the following week.

The match was very close last night with LSU. It is too bad that the Sooners could not break through with a win in the match.

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I have to admit, I only watched the first three sets. I was so disappointed in how we gave away sets 2 and 3 that I couldn't watch anymore. A 17-10 lead and we can't win the set.

Martyn looked great. Shelton off the back row was unstoppable. Pfiffner was having a lot of success with the slide hit. Chamberlain was playing great. But too many serves into the net or long. And too many spikes out of bounds.

I thought we were the more talented team, but it didn't show up on the scoreboard.