MBB at #1 Baylor Tuesday

Forum to discuss OU Men's Basketball
SwampSooner

MBB at #1 Baylor Tuesday

Post by SwampSooner »

Are Cortes and Groves brothers available for the game at Baylor?

The game will be televised on ESPN2 starting at 6 PM Tuesday.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

I saw this in an article about the Sooners victory over K-State:

"Moser told OU radio announcer Toby Rowland that Jacob has been cleared to return for Tuesday’s game at Baylor. The Sooners will learn Tanner’s status on Sunday and indicated that Cortes likely won’t play against the Bears."

We are past Sunday, but I haven't seen anything about Tanner's status.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

Here is a newer article, but not much additional news:

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-baske ... 1a4a3.html

OU basketball: Tanner Groves, Bijan Cortes' status remains undetermined, Jacob Groves cleared for return vs Baylor
Grayson Blalock, sports reporter Jan 3, 2022

Oklahoma head coach Porter Moser announced Monday that the status of senior forward Tanner Groves and freshman guard Bijan Cortes is still to be determined for Tuesday’s game against No. 1 Baylor.

Cortes and Tanner Groves missed the Sooners’ Big 12 play opening 71-69 win against Kansas State on Jan. 1 along with junior forward Jacob Groves, who has already been cleared to return to play at Baylor.

“We have a couple more questions we have to answer,” Moser said. “But they're out of their five day quarantine window and we'll know more tomorrow.”

Tanner Groves is OU’s leading scorer on the season, averaging 14.3 points per game. Jacob Groves and Cortes both play key roles off the bench, averaging 13.5 and 9.7 minutes per game, respectively. Without the trio, senior guards Elijah Harkless and Umoja Gibson scored 21 and 19 points, respectively, to push the Sooners past the Wildcats.

Oklahoma will tip off vs No. 1 Baylor at 6 p.m. CT Jan. 4 in Waco (ESPN2).
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

3 back, 2 out

Tanner Groves, Jacob Groves and Bijan Cortes are available for tonight’s game

Rick Issanza and Marvin Johnson have entered health and safety protocols.

I say Baylor wins 76-65. Hope I’m wrong
In Brent I Trust :D
EMan

Post by EMan »

Hate to see anyone have to sit out, but glad to see the others back.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:09 pm 3 back, 2 out

Tanner Groves, Jacob Groves and Bijan Cortes are available for tonight’s game

Rick Issanza and Marvin Johnson have entered health and safety protocols.

I say Baylor wins 76-65. Hope I’m wrong
84-74

I was off by 8 and 9 but mostly covered spread. This team is really good considering only 3 players returned and new coach. On the road and down 2 bench players. VS the #1 team. Kept ut within 5-7 most of last 4 minutes but just could not get over hump and late FTs stretched it out to 10.

I say they could finish mud pack in Big 12 which would be amazing!!

Moser can coach!!
In Brent I Trust :D
EMan

Post by EMan »

They got obliterated on the boards (34-16) and had 17 turnovers, yet managed to stay within 5 and had the ball with 50 seconds to play on the road against the #1 team in the country. Nothing to hang your head over with that game. Tough, gritty performance. Played with a lot of heart and never gave up. First half D wasn't all that great, but they picked it up in the second half and made Baylor work for it. This team is pretty darn good and quite frankly, probably should be ranked.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Baylor is ranked #1 (and it is easy to see why) and they are the defending champions.

OU did just about everything they could to win. They played extremely hard. They are likely to be an extremely tired team this morning.

The combination of shooting 25% from beyond the 3-point line and being outrebounded by 18 were the two stat lines that prevented them from winning.

Ultimately, it is the length, depth and athleticism that Baylor plays with though that is the difference. Baylor is every bit as good athletically as the Sooners, But they have several inches on almost every Sooner player that is on the court. Baylor may also be just a bit tougher, physically and mentally. Over 40 minutes with the same effort expended by both teams, the longer, tougher team usually wins. That is not a bad rap on OU, Baylor can say that after every game. Baylor's practices must be small wars when they go 5-on-5 / 4-on-4 or 3-on-3. That intensity shows on the floor for Baylor.

Great effort and a very 'good' loss if there is such a thing. The Sooners have to re-energize and get ready for Iowa State on Saturday in LNC. There are no games off in the Big 12. Just games that the Sooners will have to play well in every phase of the game to win.

The team is on the right path in Mosier's first season.

Boomer Sooner!