Transfer Postings and Speculations--2024

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Last edited by TropicalSooner on Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Crimson47
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

Is there a deadline for players to make their decision?

I have no inside information on anything, but I doubt anyone can outbid texass.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

jmac11 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:58 pm Is there a deadline for players to make their decision?

I have no inside information on anything, but I doubt anyone can outbid texass.
FWIW Coach Dbag White was crying last year about not having the NIL resources to OUtbid Patty for players . This was the same time in which Dbag insinuated that PG was a cheater .
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

JSULL60 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:17 pm :ou: Depends on a perssons definition of an elite pitcher. I think what separates a very good pitcher from being elite is mental toughness. In 2012 when Alabama beat OU in the rain game, K Rickets said needed to be mentally tougher. Kelly Maxwell was a 2 time all American at OSU and the cowpukes almost in the champ series. Her defense let her down. Her last year at OSU she had a hand injury that affected her mechanics. This year she had her ups and down, but going into post season OU needed Kelly at her best in order to win a title. Patty is GOAT when it comes to winning National titles because she is the GOAT when getting the best out her players in the post season. She is a master sports psychologist. Patty was able to help Kelly reset mentally and get back the championship mindset. Kelly Maxwell was elite at the College World Series. Back in 2021 Giselle Juarez entered the 2021 season coming off an injury. She struggled so much to find her groove that she wasn’t used much in the last few games of the regular season and she had lost some confidence. Patty knew they needed the old Giselle if they were going to win a Natty. Patty told her to forget the past, that all she will remember and fans is the last 2 weeks her OU career. Giselle went on to lead OU to the 2021 Natty, and win the MOP, she was elite when we most needed her to. OU will need an Elite pitcher to contend for title in 2025. Canady is the only elite pitcher that I know of in the portal. that can put a team on her back and lead them to a title. Right now Deal and Monticelli are good but not elite. They will have to bring up their games a couple of notches in order to carry OU that far. Lowry is supposed to be an elite freshman pitcher but that is an awfully lot to ask of a freshman. I don’t care how good a freshman is, they don’t normally lead a team to title although without doing the research, I am sure there is an exception or two. Bottom line is, we need a pitcher to become elite no matter the name on the jersey to win a 2025 Natty. Having Roacha on staff who is probably the best pitching coach in the country doesn’t hurt.
Too lazy to trim down this post to make my point . Having said that What KMax did at PCTDA has nothing to do with her year at OU.Her 1.94 era is significantly higher than OU's elite tier pitchers . In addition her bstrike to ball ratio 2.5 -1 is well below the ratios of OU's elite pitchers .

To be fair KMax was OUr best postseason pitcher this year but even then was not pitching at an elite level.
SoonerMike

Post by SoonerMike »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... e1bb&ei=19

OU Softball: Oklahoma Lands All-American Outfielder via Transfer Portal
Former Utah outfielder Abby Dayton officially announced her commitment to OU on Sunday.
Dayton earned NFCA Third Team All-American honors in 2024 after mowing down the Pac-12.

She led the conference with a .444 regular season batting average, and she ended the year with an on-base percentage of .510.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou:
waddy's ghost wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:56 pm
JSULL60 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:17 pm :ou: Depends on a perssons definition of an elite pitcher. I think what separates a very good pitcher from being elite is mental toughness. In 2012 when Alabama beat OU in the rain game, K Rickets said needed to be mentally tougher. Kelly Maxwell was a 2 time all American at OSU and the cowpukes almost in the champ series. Her defense let her down. Her last year at OSU she had a hand injury that affected her mechanics. This year she had her ups and down, but going into post season OU needed Kelly at her best in order to win a title. Patty is GOAT when it comes to winning National titles because she is the GOAT when getting the best out her players in the post season. She is a master sports psychologist. Patty was able to help Kelly reset mentally and get back the championship mindset. Kelly Maxwell was elite at the College World Series. Back in 2021 Giselle Juarez entered the 2021 season coming off an injury. She struggled so much to find her groove that she wasn’t used much in the last few games of the regular season and she had lost some confidence. Patty knew they needed the old Giselle if they were going to win a Natty. Patty told her to forget the past, that all she will remember and fans is the last 2 weeks her OU career. Giselle went on to lead OU to the 2021 Natty, and win the MOP, she was elite when we most needed her to. OU will need an Elite pitcher to contend for title in 2025. Canady is the only elite pitcher that I know of in the portal. that can put a team on her back and lead them to a title. Right now Deal and Monticelli are good but not elite. They will have to bring up their games a couple of notches in order to carry OU that far. Lowry is supposed to be an elite freshman pitcher but that is an awfully lot to ask of a freshman. I don’t care how good a freshman is, they don’t normally lead a team to title although without doing the research, I am sure there is an exception or two. Bottom line is, we need a pitcher to become elite no matter the name on the jersey to win a 2025 Natty. Having Roacha on staff who is probably the best pitching coach in the country doesn’t hurt.
Too lazy to trim down this post to make my point . Having said that What KMax did at PCTDA has nothing to do with her year at OU.Her 1.94 era is significantly higher than OU's elite tier pitchers . In addition her bstrike to ball ratio 2.5 -1 is well below the ratios of OU's elite pitchers .

To be fair KMax was OUr best postseason pitcher this year but even then was not pitching at an elite level.
I said in my post Kelly had her ups and downs. I never said Kelly pitched at an Elite level in the regular season. Not sure if you watched the post game press conferences. Even Kensie Hansen said Kelly brought her game to another level the last 2 weeks of the season. Was Kelly’s stats as good as Jordy Bahls last year at the CWS, no but Jordy same as Kelly got saved a few times by home run rob jobs by Jayda Coleman. It’ takes high level play in all 3 areas being pitching, hitting and defense. Last year in 2023 the Sooners probably don’t win a title without Jordy Bahl. This year we probably don’t win it without Kelly Maxwell. The broadcast team at the CWS said that the OU pitching didn’t have to be as good as other teams because of their great hitting and defense. In 2025 we won’t have Jennings, Coleman, Burito,, and Boone to get the big hits and mask sub-par pitching. Yes Pickering and Parker were great and had better hitting numbers last year than some of the seniors. Next year Pickering and Parker will be the focus of attention by opponents game plans. Last year they these great senior hitters to protect them. In 2025 we don’t know who will protect these 2. We have some returning returning players with some tremendous home run power. The key is can they get the timely clutch hits to win big games. I think the transfer portal has been very good so far. I think Isabella Emerling will be a good hitter in the OU offense and help replace some home runs. I am very excited about Abby Dayton. Any player who can go 3 for 3 against Canady is a very welcome addition. While not a big home run hitter she has gap power with 10 doubles and 6 triples with a 444 batting average and OBP of .510 and had a 1.109 OPS. She more than likely will start in the outfield.
But we all know the big fish is Canady. Land her and a 2025 Natty is very possible. Don’t land her and we are asking a lot of young and inexperienced players to play at an elite level including a highly recruited freshman pitcher in a tougher conference.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

First world problems - the WCWS MVP is not considered “elite” by some. Smdh.

KMax was elite against Florida and Texas when it mattered. She earned a spot in Sooner Lore. She may not be welcome back in Stillwater to whatever OSU celebrates (I guess they did win 1 Big 12 tournament title) in the future, but when the 2024 championship team is honored, KMax will be front and center.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I will add one team to that, she was also elite against UCLA
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I was listening to Tyler McComas on You Tube talking about Abbey Dayton. He thinks she will probably lead off in the batting order and will start in the OF and maybe the starting CF. He did talk about Emerling and is excited about her bat. He mentioned that the OU camp feels really confident about Canada but there are no guarantees. You never know who may throw out some crazy NIL number cause a big change.
Tyler did mention there is a Big 12 player interested in coming to OU who had a measure of success last year against us. Anyone got any clues on that one.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:10 pm :ou: I was listening to Tyler McComas on You Tube talking about Abbey Dayton. He thinks she will probably lead off in the batting order and will start in the OF and maybe the starting CF. He did talk about Emerling and is excited about her bat. He mentioned that the OU camp feels really confident about Canada but there are no guarantees. You never know who may throw out some crazy NIL number cause a big change.
Tyler did mention there is a Big 12 player interested in coming to OU who had a measure of success last year against us. Anyone got any clues on that one.
The portal is closed so it would have to be someone already in the portal, right?
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

JSULL60 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:10 pm :ou: I was listening to Tyler McComas on You Tube talking about Abbey Dayton. He thinks she will probably lead off in the batting order and will start in the OF and maybe the starting CF. He did talk about Emerling and is excited about her bat. He mentioned that the OU camp feels really confident about Canada but there are no guarantees. You never know who may throw out some crazy NIL number cause a big change.
Well, the only teams that had some success against us was Louisiana, Miami of Ohio (kinda), BYU, OSU, texas and Florida. So if they are in the Big12 - I would have to believe BYU, OSU or texas - but I guess there were games here and there against UCF was it? Maybe Baylor/Iowa State where we won but didn't really show out in the hitting department. Amy I missing any?

It was when the narrative of "we are missing our clutch hitting and leaving tons of runners on base too much - what's wrong with OU" was all the rage.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

He has to be talking about Ailana Agbayani from BYU
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou:
oufanforever wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:06 pm He has to be talking about Ailana Agbayani from BYU
with her Hawaii background it easy to see why she would pick OU, So where does she start
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

JSULL60 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:10 pm :ou:
oufanforever wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:06 pm He has to be talking about Ailana Agbayani from BYU
with her Hawaii background it easy to see why she would pick OU, So where does she start
I would think she could play SS, 2B and 3B pretty well. We well if she starts and maybe where in the fall.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:10 pm :ou:
Maybe she has been watching Alo on AUX Softball. She closes every interview they have with "BOOMER!"
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

MsProudSooner wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:19 pm
The portal is closed so it would have to be someone already in the portal, right?
It would have to be, unless it is a grad student, they can enter at any time.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22