So what's your OU/SoonerTimes story?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Uniformguy620

Post by Uniformguy620 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Originally from south Texas I wound up at OU and graduated in the summer of 99. Pretty tough years for a student with $30 season passes but listening to OU Chinaman on the radio made it somewhat tolerable :rice: . Started working for a large industrial laundry in OKC after graduation. I was working during the massacre game in 2000 so had to improvise. Put the game on the radio and set the intercom up nearby to hear the game as we turned those washers. Those poor ladies working the plant (and the surrounding area of NE 42nd street) thought I had lost my mind. I wore my work uniform for every game that year and we won it all. Sadly, that was the only year it worked :confusedplus:

I found this board later than most, 10 years or so ago and enjoy the information and opinions.

Back in south Texas I enjoy keeping my Aggie neighbors on their toes!

Boomer!
BlackwellSooner

Post by BlackwellSooner »

3. Last favorite moment if you've read this far. About 15 years ago I was at a store wearing my OU ballcap. A guy walks up to me and talks a little OU. He leaves in a minute or so but I see my girlfriend is nearly paralyzed. I didn't really recognize the guy but she did. It was Brad Pitt.
Thanks for the laugh, SoonerinLA! That's a great story, almost as good as the one with Boz & Barry!

OK, I'll get around to introducing myself. My name is Terry and I may be close to the runner-up to OldSooner, as I am 81 years old.
I am an Okie by birth, but my father moved to Ark City KS when I was 4 years old and I went through the Ark City school system.
When I was in my teen years, I kinda followed Bud's Sooners, but I didn't really become hooked on OU football until the GOTC in 1971.
By that time, I had already done my two years active duty USN(R) on the USS Randolph CVS-15 and subsequently married and started a family.
I worked a few years as a telegrapher-agent for the Santa Fe, but spent most of my earning career in aerospace in and around Wichita, retiring as a Mfg Engineer from Boeing in 1999. (I used to be known as WichitaOkie on that 24 hour chat line back in the 90s - forget the name of it!)
After retirement, bought a 38 foot motorhome and did the full-time RVing thing for awhile, but eventually sold it and settled in my wife's hometown of Blackwell, OK, thus my username. - - It's possible, though, that I'll be changing it in the near future, as the wife and I are planning to relocate to the Austin, TX area to be closer to my son and his family, and our grandkids. Plenty of time to dream up a new name, though.

This is a great message board, and I have been and still am, a member of a number of forums over the years, but this is among the best! The civil discourse is outstanding.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: On the old board my user name was Fanatic. Jsull is short for Jerry Sullins an 60 was the year I wad born. I have been a Sooner fan as long as I can remember. The oldest memories of OU football is when my Dad took me to an OU Allumi game in 1969 and Steve Owens played. I have had the privilege of seeing the the glory days of OU football in the 70s and 80s. The dreadful 90s and the resurrection in the 2000. I was fortunate enough to be at the 2000 Orange Bowl to watch the Sooners beat Florida State for the 2000 NC. I also went to watch the OU softball team beat UCLA for the 2000 NC. Been addicted to softball ever since.
I remember when I was a kid. listening to Bob Barry and Jack Ogle broadcast OU football games listening to the SoonSooner offense run up and down the field and hanging half a hundred by halftime. Defenses so dominating that as kid I used to get mad when the other team made a first down. So to see the Sooners to field championship caliber offenses the last several years but to have Defenses not of the same caliber painful painful to watch.
That being said, if the level of talent offensive side continues, I think the defense at some point will catch up and bring the Sooners another NC. In the mean time, I have greatly enjoyed the rise of rise of a softball dynasty.
I am also anxious to see if our new basketball coaches can return the basketball programs to the level of success theu enjoyed in the past.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

The first game that I went to as a kid, Billy Sims had an amazing 45 yard run against Iowa then he fumbled the ball.
::rice2:: :dude:
soonerjimjr

Post by soonerjimjr »

Became a fan 1969 Steve Owens senior year, first game I went to 1972 vs Kansas St . First red river game 1975 , got in stadium with press tickets at half. Some guy handed me and my buddy his press ticket for 20 bucks each thru fence, gate keeper in on the deal. I sat on the steps on 50 watched OU win 5th straight. I was 18.
Waddyswagon

Post by Waddyswagon »

Based on the previous posts I may be the 3rd oldest poster on this site. I'm closing in on 80. Born in OKC but consider Tulsa my hometown. My first board experience was on Jane Jane Ann Laird's private board which still exists even though JA passed away. Some here know I go by OWENFIELDREAMS on other boards.
My first college team was SMU.I lived in Dallas during 1st through 3rd grade when Doak Walker, Kyle Rote, Freddy Benners, Johnny Champion, and Herschel Forrester were there. Moved back to Tulsa and started the 4th grade. In the 8th grade I was on a debate team arguing that basketball was a rougher sport than football. I wrote Bud and he wrote me back agreeing that b'ball was rougher. My team won the debate. I had friends in high school who played for OU and my first game in person was WVU in 1958. Waddy Young was my dad's best friend. They were from Ponca City and were both Sigma Chis. I married into Sooner royalty when I married Ann Santee in '62. I've lived in Texas for almost 54 years and have followed the Sooners all over the country. 1 had season tickets for years when we lived in W.F., TX. but gave them up when we moved to Houston. A few years ago I got 4 new ones that I share with my children. I was honored to eulogize my brother-in-law, Jack Santee, along with Coach Switzer, a couple of years ago.I still frequent other boards and I'm a relative newcomer to this one. I frequent Dirtburglers for comic relief and still post on JA's board.
Waddyswagon

Post by Waddyswagon »

I failed to mention that Waddy Young is my Godfather. I graduated from Cascia Hall in '59. I have a BS from Texas A& M.
My apologies for the length of this post.
Beerme

Post by Beerme »

Waddyswagon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:28 pm I failed to mention that Waddy Young is my Godfather. I graduated from Cascia Hall in '59. I have a BS from Texas A& M.
My apologies for the length of this post.

I just read Waddy Young’s Wiki page and he was a trendsetter! He had the PA announcer voice Waddy’s marriage proposal to his girlfriend (she was sitting in the stands) during a football game Waddy was playing in - and this was in 1939 or 1940!