So what's your OU/SoonerTimes story?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Beerme

Post by Beerme »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Waddyswagon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:28 pm I failed to mention that Waddy Young is my Godfather. I graduated from Cascia Hall in '59. I have a BS from Texas A& M.
My apologies for the length of this post.

I just read Waddy Young’s Wiki page and he was a trendsetter! He had the PA announcer voice Waddy’s marriage proposal to his girlfriend (she was sitting in the stands) during a football game Waddy was playing in - and this was in 1939 or 1940!
NEOTider68

Post by NEOTider68 »

New to the site. I was born up North but raised and and spent my formative years in NE Oklahoma(hence the username NEOTider) in what is commonly called "Green Country", graduated HS from the same town where your own Steve and Tinker Owens went--Miami High School. My roots however are in Alabama--which is where I have also resided for the past 35 years. Father graduated from UA in the mid '60's so I was indoctrinated from an early age into college football and with a love for the Tide. However growing up in Oklahoma I watched OU play quite a bit and always pulled for them in the old Big Eight conference. My first Bama game in person was in 1986 while my first game in person to attend in Norman was in 1985. My allegiance is to the Tide but I have great respect and admiration for the Sooners. Ours are both two of what I consider to be only five bluebloods in the sport. We are both elite programs. I am a college football junkie and it is the only sport that I follow closely. Look forward to having you in the SEC soon and I think your fan base will love it also. I look forward to talking ball here and I hope you will allow me to share in the discussions.
USNavySooner

Post by USNavySooner »

I was born and raised in Tulsa. When I was four, we lived in Germany as my father was in the Army. After his enlistment, we briefly lived with my paternal grandparents and that’s where I was introduced to OU football. My dad’s side of the family were OU fans and I remember listening to the games on a transistor radio with my grandfather.

I attended OU in the early 80s and then served 22 years in the Navy before my body told me it was time to retire. Thus, the name USNavySooner. I spent half of my career in the fighter community in California and Maryland and the other half with TACAMO at Tinker AFB in Midwest City.

A couple of years ago, I came across SoonerTimes while trying to find a quality MB that wasn’t premium driven. After “lurking” for a bit, I grew tired of not being able to see some images/links, so I became a registered user. I have not posted much in the past, but hope to become more of a contributor.
“We have met the enemy and they are ours…” - Oliver Hazard Perry
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

USNavySooner wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:41 am I was born and raised in Tulsa. When I was four, we lived in Germany as my father was in the Army. After his enlistment, we briefly lived with my paternal grandparents and that’s where I was introduced to OU football. My dad’s side of the family were OU fans and I remember listening to the games on a transistor radio with my grandfather.

I attended OU in the early 80s and then served 22 years in the Navy before my body told me it was time to retire. Thus, the name USNavySooner. I spent half of my career in the fighter community in California and Maryland and the other half with TACAMO at Tinker AFB in Midwest City.

A couple of years ago, I came across SoonerTimes while trying to find a quality MB that wasn’t premium driven. After “lurking” for a bit, I grew tired of not being able to see some images/links, so I became a registered user. I have not posted much in the past, but hope to become more of a contributor.
Ever stationed at Cecil, Oceana or Miramar? Also, what years at TACAMO? I retired out of there.
In Brent I Trust :D
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

USNavySooner wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:41 am I was born and raised in Tulsa. When I was four, we lived in Germany as my father was in the Army. After his enlistment, we briefly lived with my paternal grandparents and that’s where I was introduced to OU football. My dad’s side of the family were OU fans and I remember listening to the games on a transistor radio with my grandfather.

Dad in Army, you in Navy. That had to be fun around the second Saturday of December each year. :handsup:
You shall not pass
USNavySooner

Post by USNavySooner »

OU Guy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:50 pm

Ever stationed at Cecil, Oceana or Miramar? Also, what years at TACAMO? I retired out of there.
Never stationed at any of those bases. Lemoore, China Lake and Patuxent River were my fighter/attack stations. I was at TACAMO '96-'04 and then '07-'10. I retired from there as well in 2010.
USNavySooner

Post by USNavySooner »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 pm

Dad in Army, you in Navy. That had to be fun around the second Saturday of December each year. :handsup:
It gets even funnier. My uncle and a cousin on my mom's side of the family were in the Air Force. So every year someone is happy to win the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy. :cool:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

USNavySooner wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 pm
OU Guy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:50 pm

Never stationed at any of those bases. Lemoore, China Lake and Patuxent River were my fighter/attack stations. I was at TACAMO '96-'04 and then '07-'10. I retired from there as well in 2010.
We likely know each other then. I was in VQ-3 in 96/97/98 and ran the skiff.
In Brent I Trust :D