OU Women Gymnasts win in Arizona with a 197.625

This is the forum to follow our National Champions Gymnastics team
OUBeliever56A

OU Women Gymnasts win in Arizona with a 197.625

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Gymnastics team was successful in Tempe yesterday as they defeated Arizona State and Air Force in a tri-meet.

Their score was down a bit due to a bars error. But they rebounded for the win. Here is the post match article by staff writers.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/3/11 ... -meet.aspx

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Supposedly the meet was live-streamed by Arizona State. I can't find a replay of it. All I have seen is the following highlights from SoonerSports.tv, which doesn't show a whole lot (and none of the beam routines):

https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=8046

General notes from the meet.
  • There were only 7 scores of 9.9+ for the Sooners. That's pretty low for the year
  • We had reached a team score of 198+ in 5 of the last 7 meets. Not this time. We scored 197.625, which is too low to improve our NQS score, which stays at 198.080. Florida is #2 with a 197.970 (not counting this weekend)
  • We didn't have anybody in the all around. Audrey Davis didn't compete on floor. And Jordan Bowers didn't compete on beam.They combined for 4 of the 7 scores of 9.9+ that we had.
  • Our event order was beam, floor, vault, and bars
  • I can't find individual NQS rankings per event, so I use the NCAA power rankings below. They did mention that Jordan Bowers has the #1 NQS score on vault. I have to believe that Ragan Smith has the highest NQS score on beam. You can't get much higher.
Our vault score of 49.350 replaced a 49.325, to slightly increase our NQS score, now at 49.425. Jordan Bowers led the way with a 9.90. Olivia Trautman competed on the vault for the first time this year and scored a 9.875. Jordan Bowers is #6 in the nation. On vault, we have 7 gymnasts that have an NQS score
  1. 9.965 Jordan Bowers
    9.930 Kat LaVasseur
    9.885 Allie Stern
    9.870 Danielle Sievers (just qualified with this meet)
    9.830 Danae Fletcher
    9.815 Sheridan Ramsey
    9.815 Audrey Davis
Our bars score of 49.500 did replace a 49.450, to slightly increase our NQS score, now at 49.545. Audrey Davis had a 9.975. Karrie Thomas had a 9.925. It looks like Kat LaVasseur fell on the bars. I only mention that because last time she fell, she missed the next meet. Audrey Davis is #3 in the nation. On bars, we have 6 gymnasts that have an NQS score:
  1. 9.955 Audrey Davis
    9.925 Jordan Bowers
    9.915 Karrie Thomas
    9.890 Ragan Smith
    9.885 Danielle Sievers
    9.875 Kat LaVasseur
Our beam score of 49.350 did not replace any NQS score, which remains at 49.580. Kat LeVasseur scored 9.925. Audrey Davis scored 9.900. No falls on the beam. Ragan Smith is #1 in the nation. We have 5 gymnasts that have an NQS score. One more meet and Olivia Trautman will qualify.
  1. 9.980 Ragan Smith (only 10s can improve her score now)
    9.935 Carly Woodard
    9.920 Kat LaVasseur
    9.910 Audrey Davis
    9.880 Jenna Dunn
Our floor score of 49.425 did not replace any NQS score, which remains at 49.550. Jordan Bowers scored a 9.925. Danae Fletcher scored a 9.900. We don't have a gymnast in the top 6 of the NCAA power rankings on floor. We have 6 gymnasts that have an NQS score.
  1. 9.940 Ragan Smith
    9.930 Jordan Bowers
    9.905 Carly Woodard
    9.905 Danae Fletcher
    9.895 Bell Johnson
    9.875 Audrey Davis
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

'AustinTXSooner'

Thank you greatly for your review and analysis on the Women Gymnasts and Team.

I learn quite a bit from your posts about gymnastics.

Because of the depth of talent, do you think that OU will have an athlete in the All-Around as we proceed the rest of the year. It seems very hard for a single gymnasts to earn a spot in all four events with OU's depth. If not, is there any negative in not having an All-Around participant?

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I don't think there's a negative to not having someone in the all around. However, I think KJ will want one, at least so that gymnast can get the experience. There's a compromise though, is the same gymnast in the top 6 of every event? Or are the top 5 solid enough that it doesn't matter who the 6th gymnast is? What we have left is the Big XII Championships and the NCAA Championships. With that in mind, I think we put our best 6 gymnasts on each event. If we have somebody in all 4, so be it. If it's anyone, it would likely be Audrey Davis.

Nothing I say below is meant as a negative to any gymnast. Just a statistical evaluation of the meets so far this year. Clearly I am not at practice and I'm not privy to the physical or mental health of any athlete.

First, looking nationally, the all around is tough competition this year. This is the first year that a flood of Olympic athletes have entered NCAA competition. And not just the US team. The power rankings came out today and for all around, they are:
  1. Jade Carey, Oregon State
    Lexy Ramler, Minnesota
    Ona Loper, Minnesota
    Leanne Wong, Florida
    Sunisa Lee, Auburn
    Raena Worley, Kentucky
You might recognize Jade Carey and Suni Lee from the US Olympic team. Apparently Carey has been killing it this year. She's been putting up 39.800 scores in the all around. That's averaging a 9.95 on each event. For comparison, Audrey Davis has a high score of 39.625 in the all around. Jade Carey's lowest score in 9 meets is 39.650. In 45 individual events, Carey has put up 43 9.9+ scores. The other two are a 9.875 and a 9.850. She will be in the running on each individual event, except maybe beam. She has a 10 on bars and 2 10s on floor this year

We've had 11 meets so far this year. Jordan Bowers participated in the all around in the first 6 meets, but hasn't competed on the beam since then. And one meet that she didn't compete on the floor. There's a reason she was dropped on beam. In her 6 meets, her best score was 9.875, her second best score was 9.800. When she stopped competing on beam, her other 3 scores went up, particularly her vault scores. Her vault scores were hot and cold in the first 6 meets. They've been stellar since. In fact, in the last 5 meets, she's competed on 15 events and had 14 9.9+ scores. The 15th was a 9.875. She's been really good on bars and floor all year. As she gets older, she may end up being our all around gymnast that competes for the national title.

Audrey Davis has competed in the all around in 8 of our 11 meets. Vault is her weakest event. In 9 meets, she has one score of 9.9+. Her beam routine is solidly good and she's improving. 5 of her top 6 scores have been in the last 6 meets. She will compete for the national title on bars. I don't think that there's a question about her being in the top 6 on bars, beam, and floor. She's on the edge for vault.

Looking at some of the other gymnasts. Ragan Smith hasn't competed in vault this year. Kat LaVasseur has never competed on floor in her OU career. Olivia Trautman has competed in the all around before this year, but hasn't competed on bars or floor yet this year.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Forgot to mention that Leanne Wong was an alternate on the US Olympic team in Tokyo.