Jennie

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
SoonerLee

Jennie

Post by SoonerLee »

Encourage fans to show up for the game, forgot to tell the team to show up!
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Gave up 35 points in the first quarter. Hard to imagine a team giving a poorer effort than that.
SoonerLee

Post by SoonerLee »

Should have empty the bench players practice all year deserved to get into March madness! Game was over after first quarter.
SoonerLee

Post by SoonerLee »

Should have empty the bench players practice all year deserved to get into March madness! Game was over after first quarter.
sybil

Post by sybil »

we need more talent,alot more jmo
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Just posting a positive note about the Sooner Women's Basketball Team. The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Basketball Team was 25-9. It's been years since they were that good. Here are some things to understand.

- The 25 wins were the most since the 2009-10 season.
- The 9 losses were the fewest since 2008-09 season.
- The season was probably the 6th best W-L record since 1999-2000 season.
- They beat Baylor and Texas 3 out of 5 games this year.
- They averaged 82.6 points a game on offense.
- They played 2/3rd of the season without one of their three best players, Ana Llanusa, who suffered an knee injury in game #10.
- They could return all but one player for next year's team.
- They will welcome four new freshman of which two, a C/PF and a shooting G, could play right away.

Last night was a disappointment to any real Sooner Women's Basketball Team fan. Notre Dame was much better than a #5 seed for sure. Notre Dame played very well last night as they shot the lights out of the LNC in the first half. Notre Dame is probably in the top 5, definitely top 10 programs in Women's College Basketball. Three players for the Irish were very good. #1, #5 and #11 were excellent last night and they had lots of help from several others. If the NCAA tournament is about the guard play, Note Dame with #1 and #5 have a real shot at a title with those two leading the way. They also have enough of what is needed inside to be successful.

For the Sooners, I will say that they had a very good season throughout. Coach Baranczyk did a great job of raising the level of play of the team over the last several seasons. Williams and Robertson had very good seasons. Vann added a very good season playing as a small center or outside forward as well. Tot and Washington handled the point guard positions well most of the season also. Kennedy, Scott, Lampkin, Perkins and Gregory had moments, in supportive roles. But the loss of Llanusa left the team trying to fill that final fifth spot most of the season with a consistent player.

The team needs to learn how to play man-to-man defense well with the personnel they have. I think Coach Baranczyk likes her hybrid-zone matchup defense but it does have weaknesses without a dominate C to play defense. I think a different defensive strategy should be considered for next year. Coach Baranczyk's offense is exciting. It will be interesting to see how it might change to include a strong C/PF type that can score inside consistently as the incoming freshman looks to be able to do.

I will be there in 2022-23 to watch them play. If you are not sold on the team as of now, you should consider where the program has been before being critical. You should give the team a second look and maybe you will see something that you like. Seeing the positive in something is beginning to be a lost art these days.

Boomer Sooner!
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

Yesterday was simply a bad day. ND jumped on the Sooners quickly and didn’t let up. They were hot and the Sooners were not. That happens in sports. Momentum builds confidence which adds to momentum. Meanwhile, it creates stress for the opponent and knocks them off their game.

I like the way this team played this year. If the seniors come back and the younger players focus on limiting turnovers, they will get back next year for another shot. Very happy for Madi Williams. She is so much fun to watch play ball. It’s like she was turned loose this year. Robertson will be the record holder on 3’s. Hopefully Ana will get a complete season without injury. Her presence would open things up for Madi and Taylor. Liz Scott has gained confidence in her knee. Another off season of going all out will wipe away more of the rust from her game. Hopefully we can get another big from the portal.

Anyway, congratulations to coach and the players. Chin up, the future is all that matters.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

This was a great season for the Sooners, as articulated nicely by 56. They were a very fun team to follow throughout most of the season. They were very “watchable”, which is a contrast to the last 3-4 years. I’m excited to see what the future brings, as I’m a big believer in what coach Jennie is bringing.

However, I also think this years team, as currently constituted, was very close to its ceiling. I don’t believe another year, with the same personnel, is going to yield significantly different results.

Only Nydia leaves via graduation and I hope we can hang onto the core group through portal season. Maybe Ana comes back and can be effective (plenty of examples of effective players with ACL recoveries of ~ a year). I hope our freshmen commits/signees (including 2 that are said to be 6’3”) can be impactful.

I still believe we need more portal help. I hope Jennie has done enough to find a couple of players that can be helpful. Find me a 5’7” guard and a legitimate sized post that can play and score please.
SoonerMike

Post by SoonerMike »

Yes Yes Yes A very productive season for the players and coaches and enjoyable for us fans. A good start to attract better players and get fans to return to watching in person. We need defensive height in the middle, and an off-season of working on passing and reducing turnovers.
This time last year , if you would have predicted this record, the effort, the passion of this team-coaches and players-we would have thought you were crazy. Great job by all involved, and promise for the future
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the reap of the game last night vs Notre Dame at LNC.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/3/21 ... round.aspx

There is no way to say that the loss last night was anything but disappointing. But the season with a 25-9 record was a great change in the direction of the Women's Basketball Team led by Coach Baranczyk. Thanks for the season.

Boomer Sooner!
sybil

Post by sybil »

overall,OU had a great season. The future is bright. I do think we need more size & talent to compete with the elites
EMan

Post by EMan »

As I watched the game, I couldn't help but think, so this is how teams feel that play the OU softball team. It was a snowball rolling downhill and no way to stop it. I also know this is the same ND team that was outscored by Louisville 31-3 in the first quarter and trailed 54-15 at halftime in one game this season. So I knew they were playing probably at the top end of their game and the Sooners were helpless to stop it. As they say, when you're hot, you're hot. and when you're not, you're not. And that sums up the two teams yesterday.

But as others have mentioned above, there's no way I would've predicted the Sooners would have this good of a season so it was a pleasant surprise to watch, regardless of yesterday's outcome. However, now it's time to build on this. As we've discussed all season (for years actually), the Sooners need help inside. To paraphrase Al McGuire, the Sooners need to find an aircraft carrier underneath. Someone that can provide a solid presence down low, particularly on the defensive end and rebounding.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!