CF Coleman
RF Brito
3B Johns
LF Donihoo
P Trautwein
aka Crimson47
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

Wonder if Hansen's knee isn't as good as they thought it was?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Wow!! Down 1-0 with 2 outs and last chance! Sooner Magic!!!

In Brent I Trust :D
EMan

Post by EMan »

Wow! Second time this year OU has been down to their last out and both times they get a walk-off jack to win it! Unbelievable! But let's not kid ourselves, that was a gift. A gift the Sooners took advantage of, so give them credit for that, but it was definitely a gift. That Baylor outfielder should've caught that foul ball off Kenzie Hansen's bat for the third out and game over. But she didn't, and Hansen took advantage of it by getting a base hit that ultimately led to the walk-off blast by Jennings.

BTW, kudos to Trautwein! She pitched a gem! She didn't deserve to lose that game so it's nice that she got the W.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Sooner Magic strikes again!
Thank you to Baylor's Left Fielder for dropping the foul ball.
and of course Thanks to everyone on our team for staying with it till the very end---and of course to Tiare for her bomb! We've had a few of these games, pretty well spread out, Utah, Tennessee, and now Baylor, to remind us we have to play a complete game all the way through.
Hats off to Baylor for playing hard and giving us all they had.
More teaching moments for the team---again.....
We need more practice on situational hitting--getting runners that are on base to score and not to swing at bad pitches trying to force something.......defense-defense-defense.....we have to eliminate the errors.
But give Baylor a big shout out for putting up a fight. It's probably just what we needed heading into the rest of conference play.
And a big thanks to Hope. 13ks and a 1 hitter. Nice!
aka Crimson47
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

Neither pitcher deserved that loss but I'm glad we got the gift. It was a definitive gift because for 6 innings the sooner did the same thing with no adjustments at all. From the start we constantly took a good 1st pitch to hit and was behind in the count and from there chased bad pitches and from the streaming view behind the pitcher the hitters looked off balance and produced pretty weak ground balls or fly balls. There seemed not any pop in the bat as usual and just looked like really bad pitches on most of the strikeouts. I've never seen Alo's 2 strikeouts look so bad since since she's been here. It's a rarity and I would say it will never happen again. Trautwein was on her game from the !st pitch so congratulations to her for an outstanding game.
Congratulations to the Baylor team for a hard fight and to the pitcher Orme for finding a weakness in OU's offense and taking advantage of it. The foul ball boo boo cost her the game and a tough thing to swallow for any pitcher.
I think it can be a sure thing that the coaches aren't pleased at all with that game I bet we don't see another one like that for a long time.
Congrads to Hansen taking advantage of the miscue and going for it early in the count, same for Donahoo and of course Jennings with all 3 coming though with the backs against the wall.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but the Baylor left fielder did not lose the game for them. A mistake in the field, a mistake at the plate, a bad call by an umpire, none of those things lose games. Stuff happens. It always has and it always will. You lose games by not scoring more runs than the other team. You win games by not letting the outcome of one play beat you. If Baylor wanted that game, they should have scored more runs. It's that simple. If they thought they could beat OU by only scoring one run, well they learned a hard lesson. When you let the other team stay close in the game, you get what's coming.

Too many people are tempted to look at plays late in a game and think, that play lost the game for them. It's a team sport. They had 7 innings to score runs. They weren't productive enough at the plate to win that game.

The left fielder didn't give up the two singles. The left fielder didn't give up the home run. I'm not blaming the pitcher either. You win as a team, you lose as a team.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:21 am Sorry to get on my soapbox, but the Baylor left fielder did not lose the game for them. A mistake in the field, a mistake at the plate, a bad call by an umpire, none of those things lose games. Stuff happens. It always has and it always will. You lose games by not scoring more runs than the other team. You win games by not letting the outcome of one play beat you. If Baylor wanted that game, they should have scored more runs. It's that simple. If they thought they could beat OU by only scoring one run, well they learned a hard lesson. When you let the other team stay close in the game, you get what's coming.

Too many people are tempted to look at plays late in a game and think, that play lost the game for them. It's a team sport. They had 7 innings to score runs. They weren't productive enough at the plate to win that game.

The left fielder didn't give up the two singles. The left fielder didn't give up the home run. I'm not blaming the pitcher either. You win as a team, you lose as a team.
Exactly right, Austin. deserves a repeat here.
EMan

Post by EMan »

I'll agree with that sentiment. One play isn't the reason a team wins or loses. There were numerous other opportunities for Baylor to do something else to give themselves some separation. However, while I agree that play didn't necessarily lose the game for Baylor, we also have to agree that making that play would've most definitely won the game for Baylor. So I suppose you can't blame everyone for discussing it.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

It's physically impossible for both teams to play a "perfect" game.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Discussion is great. Baylor made a mistake that we capitalized on. We also capitalized on the shortstop playing too far in on Donihoo. Was that her decision, or the coaching staff? Doesn't matter to us.

We failed to capitalize on the third baseman attempting to throw out the runner at second on a bunt. Baylor capitalized on a poorly fielded bunt. With as few runners that Baylor had on base, they had two thrown out. One on an attempted steal and the other on a double play.

So yes, the misplay in left field helped us, no question. We still had to make three more hits in order to capitalize on it. BTW, I've seen the play several times now. I don't think she touched the ball. But the only angle they showed isn't conclusive.
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

From what I saw in the 7th, the left fielder just over ran the ball and tried to reach back but her glove didn't touch it. One of the commentators stated that the wind was bringing the ball into play from left to center so the wind prob brought it back in more that she realized.

As far as the left field foul ball miss losing the game, to me that was the play that lost the game. There were prob several things during the game that could have changed the whole thing (Johns error) hitters making adjustment, 2nd base play and so forth. But those things didn't happen so I can't say any of those things that didn't happen lost or made a difference. In the 7th with Hansen getting a second chance because of that play made the difference. Her hit could be looked at as the spark to wake the team up and that's what I saw. The foul ball miss and Hansens spark to me is what won the game. Those two things did happen unlike the previous 6 innings when things that should have happened but didn't.

I just see things different which doesn't make it right or wrong just different perspective.