The Oklahoma Softball Transfer Dance Begins

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

:ou: To my knowlege players are not prohibted to have contact with a prospective recruit. It seems like players in the past haved indicated they met curtent players on thier visits. Its a good recriting tool to let the prospective recruit firm some beginning bonds of a friendship when they visit.
With, todays social medial theres a good chance the players have already interacted before the potential recruit/ transfer steps on campus
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

It would be a misjustice to the visiting recruit to deny them from speaking to the existing players. By talking to the existing players, the recruit can get candid answers about how the program rolls. Otherwise they only get the recruiter's point of view.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

On the travel ball and summer league circuits, it is likely that any “great” player that we would consider in the transfer portal has already played with or against 4-5 or maybe up to a dozen of our players. That’s in addition to the social media world.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:00 pm :ou: To my knowlege players are not prohibted to have contact with a prospective recruit. It seems like players in the past haved indicated they met curtent players on thier visits. Its a good recriting tool to let the prospective recruit firm some beginning bonds of a friendship when they visit.
With, todays social medial theres a good chance the players have already interacted before the potential recruit/ transfer steps on campus
This is great. It's nice that Storako timed her visit to OU while our team is still on a high from just winning the WCWS. I wonder if she may have flown in the day before and took in the game but didn't post anything about it on T or IG.
I think the atmosphere here at OU right now will be hard to beat. Of course, she would have to be "the right fit" but Patty has been awfully good at determining that. I hope she enjoys her time here with us.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I really hope Nicole May stays around and I honestly think it’s in her best interest. I think she has A- to A stuff, but I think the moment gets too large for her on occasion. She is a clear 2 or 3 starter on the OU roster, so I would understand if she goes somewhere to be the #1. However, I’m just not sure she has the “it” factor in big games.

But, she already has 2 rings and may want to challenge herself. And who knows what personal considerations (family, significant other, etc) might factor into the decision. If she goes, I will be a huge fan and I wish her to make a good decision for her.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

AFter talking to Hope, Jocy, Shannon Sailes, etc…and of course Patty and Jen Rocha, there is no way that Alex Storako does not sign with OU. I mean, yes, of course, there’s a chance she signs elsewhere, but who can turn down Patty? How can you turn down a championship run in 2023? Also, OU has a good petroleum engineering school.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

MNSooner wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:34 am AFter talking to Hope, Jocy, Shannon Sailes, etc…and of course Patty and Jen Rocha, there is no way that Alex Storako does not sign with OU. I mean, yes, of course, there’s a chance she signs elsewhere, but who can turn down Patty? How can you turn down a championship run in 2023? Also, OU has a good petroleum engineering school.
i was going to say the exactly the same thing.
::rice2:: :dude:
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I think that presumes that Patty has offered - not all that visit will be offered. Just like a job interview -Patty can know she’ll offer based on video and historical performance, but needs to get to know Alex’s personality and character too.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:36 pm AS of today, I do not see Barnard in the portal.
So, the portal is open now.......and as the last remaining schools have their exit interviews, there will probably be more names entered there....when is the last day someone can enter into the portal?
And when is the latest that a school can pick up someone in the portal?
Did anyone ever pick up Waitman after she entered? Never heard anymore about her----just curious, that's all.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:31 pm
So, the portal is open now.......and as the last remaining schools have their exit interviews, there will probably be more names entered there....when is the last day someone can enter into the portal?
Did anyone ever pick up Waitman after she entered? Never heard anymore about her----just curious, that's all.
[/quote]

I have not seen that Waitman has been picked up by anyone. I suspect that she is not playing perhaps. She certainly had talent it seemed.

Last day - I do no think there is a rule. If a player transfers, they just have to be able to be enrolled by the first day of the fall semester or even the first day of the spring schedule to be eligible to practice/play in those semesters. the same is true for picking a player from the portal.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I just had a thought......

Maybe the Sooners should make sure and introduce Storako to Grace Lyons and Tiare Jennings and let her watch a defensive highlight of the two of them playing SS and 2B. I imagine that would make a pitcher feel pretty good about transferring to pitch in front of those two players.

Maybe a highlight set of plays on defense by J Coleman would help also.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:31 pm
OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:36 pm AS of today, I do not see Barnard in the portal.
Student-athletes must enter the portal (or at least notify their school’s administration of their intention) by May 1 for all fall and winter sports, and July 1 for all spring sports, in order to be eligible to use the one-time transfer exception.

Student-athletes who miss this deadline will be ineligible to compete at their new school for one season, unless the new school submits a waiver that’s granted by the NCAA.

NCAA noted that certain exceptions to the deadline (AKA a waiver being granted) would apply in the case of a head coaching change or canceled athletic scholarships after May 1 but before July 1.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

So I guess that means

If they are already in portal that they can play in fall

If they get into portal by July 1 then they can play in spring ( IMHO this is is the real season)

Otherwise they miss a year
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks everyone for your replies.
A follow-up question--- when do classes start for this fall at OU? and when do we expect our new freshmen to be to be on campus? (I think generally a week before classes?)
aka Crimson47