OU roster for 2022-2023

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OU_Tom

OU roster for 2022-2023

Post by OU_Tom »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:37 pm

I think they are ready for the 2022 - 2023 season with their current roster.

Super Seniors : Grace Lyons, Grace Green (Mead), Alex Storako, Haley Lee

Seniors (Eligible for one more year in 2023-2024) : Kinzie Hansen, Rylie Boone, Macy McAdoo, ,Alynah Torres

Juniors : Jayda Coleman, Tiare Jennings, Nicole May, Alyssa Brito

Sophomores : Jordyn Bahl, Sophia Nugent, Turiya Coleman, Hannah Coor, Cyndey Sanders

Red-Shirt Freshman : Quincee Lilio, Emma Guthrie

Freshman : Kiersten Deal, Jocelyn Erickson, Avery Hodge, SJ Geurin
::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

So I think that there are 20 players on the roster which includes 5 pitchers
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OU_Tom wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:07 pm So I think that there are 20 players on the roster which includes 5 pitchers
I think this now looks to be a hard roster for the 22-23 season.
Thanks Tom.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Something that we will never know is what the scholarship usage for the 2022-23 season is. I wonder out-loud if the two medical retirements were known to Coach Gasso's staff when the exit interviews took place after the WCWS in June this year or are the retirements of McAdoo and Guthrie something that is somewhat of a surprise. that question is interesting to me because if they were planned I would guess that all the scholarship $$ is used (at least 90% of it). Somewhere in there the transfer of Turiya Coleman could have also made some scholarship $$ available.

If they were somewhat surprising, could that mean that there is some scholarship $$ out there to be used potentially in January for the 2023 season?

I imagine the roster is probably now set with 20 players (15 players and 5 pitchers) that are all very good players without exception, IMO. They all can really play.

Boomer Sooner!
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:20 am Something that we will never know is what the scholarship usage for the 2022-23 season is. I wonder out-loud if the two medical retirements were known to Coach Gasso's staff when the exit interviews took place after the WCWS in June this year or are the retirements of McAdoo and Guthrie something that is somewhat of a surprise. that question is interesting to me because if they were planned I would guess that all the scholarship $$ is used (at least 90% of it). Somewhere in there the transfer of Turiya Coleman could have also made some scholarship $$ available.

If they were somewhat surprising, could that mean that there is some scholarship $$ out there to be used potentially in January for the 2023 season?

I imagine the roster is probably now set with 20 players (15 players and 5 pitchers) that are all very good players without exception, IMO. They all can really play.

Boomer Sooner!
One possibility is that with NIL in play (no pun intended), these players can be removed from an "Official" sports scholarship and be granted one via NIL or any other private donor. Also I read (but have not verified) that if a player becomes an active member of a staff or administration their scholarship is paid for as a non-athletic scholarship. Either way, I hope they rehab well, and are successful in the next chapter(s) of their life.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:20 am Something that we will never know is what the scholarship usage for the 2022-23 season is. I wonder out-loud if the two medical retirements were known to Coach Gasso's staff when the exit interviews took place after the WCWS in June this year or are the retirements of McAdoo and Guthrie something that is somewhat of a surprise. that question is interesting to me because if they were planned I would guess that all the scholarship $$ is used (at least 90% of it). Somewhere in there the transfer of Turiya Coleman could have also made some scholarship $$ available.

Boomer Sooner!
'56, I have been wondering about those same scholy issues. It seems like I recall asking a similar question a couple of months ago, in a hypothetical situation if a player took a medical retirement would they still have their scholarship available to use, and seems like I got an answer, but I can't recall if it was here or on another site. However, I can't seem to track it down.
Anyway, it perhaps gives us more insight as to what the players were dealing with during their time trying to pitch through their medical issues last year. Pain and illness would keep anyone from performing like they have been able to in the past, and the heartache of having to make the decision to end your career so early must have been very painful.

I am very comfortable with the roster that we have, and being a smaller roster than in recent past, it seems to me like this will be a chance for all of our young players to be able to see decent playing time. I can't wait for Fall Ball to see how everyone plays as we roll towards our next season.
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

LOOK OUT Sequoia State!!! We're a-comin' to GETCHA ! :rice:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I am not sure that there is a good way to divide 12 scholarships 20+ ways

I think alot of the cost for softball players is covered by other scholarships. It would not surprise me if most of them get 50% share of scholarship then use other funds/scholarships to cover remaining costs . But I don't really know how it works
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OU_Tom wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:23 am I am not sure that there is a good way to divide 12 scholarships 20+ ways

I think alot of the cost for softball players is covered by other scholarships. It would not surprise me if most of them get 50% share of scholarship then use other funds/scholarships to cover remaining costs . But I don't really know how it works
Yes, as I understand it Tom, players are given approximately 1/2 scholarships like they do in wrestling, and other sports. These are only the scholarships from the Athletic Department that are monitored by the NCAA. Outside (the Athletic Dept.) grants and scholarships are allowed and do not count against the NCAA allowed totals.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

OU_Tom wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Seniors (Eligible for one more year in 2023-2024) : Kinzie Hansen, Rylie Boone, Macy McAdoo,Alynah Torres

Juniors : Jayda Coleman, Tiare Jennings, Nicole May, Alyssa Brito,

Sophomores : Jordyn Bahl, Sophia Nugent, Turiya Coleman, Hannah Coor, Cyndey Sanders

Torres is a Jr she played 2 yrs at asu she is the same class as jayda and tiare I believe
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Sooneryankee13 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:31 pm

Seniors (Eligible for one more year in 2023-2024) : Kinzie Hansen, Rylie Boone, Macy McAdoo, Alynah Torres

Juniors : Jayda Coleman, Tiare Jennings, Nicole May, Alyssa Brito

Torres is a Jr she played 2 yrs at asu she is the same class as jayda and tiare I believe
No, Torres was a freshman in 2000. Just like Hansen and Boone. She is a 4th year SR, with 2 more years to play.

https://thesundevils.com/sports/softbal ... rres/12978
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Boomer Sooner!
I guess Southpaw answered the scholarship question.....assuming he knows what he is talking about.
aka Crimson47
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:32 am
Sooneryankee13 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:31 pm
No, Torres was a freshman in 2000. Just like Hansen and Boone. She is a 4th year SR, with 2 more years to play.

https://thesundevils.com/sports/softbal ... rres/12978
Yeah I totally read the bio from asu wrong sometimes reading is hard for me 😁😁