Soccer plays Nebraska @1pm today

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
AustinTXSooner

Soccer plays Nebraska @1pm today

Post by AustinTXSooner »

The game is being streamed by BTN+. I guess BTN is too busy rerunning football games from last year. The cheapest alternative that I could find was to register for Nebraska for a month for $9.95. Not really interested in adding money to the Big 10 coffers. I guess I'll wait for the highlights.

Nebraska was selected as #12 preseason in the Big 10. They've had 1 game already. They lost to San Diego St 2-1 at Nebraska (I don't know why this website feels the need to edit my posts). They gave up a goal in the last 30 seconds of the game to lose.

They had two exhibition games. A 0-0 tie with Nebraska-Omaha and a 2-0 win over Tulsa.

Live stats at: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=412447
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the starting lineup:

#2 Hawkins is not starting....maybe she has a leg issue. Hawkins is okay, She came in for Wesco at the 23 min mark.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Sooners lead by a score of 1-0 after the first 45 minutes. Bri Amos #13 scored on a very good assist from Washington #12.

The Sooners were dangerously on the edge the last 8 or so minutes of the half as Nebraska put constant pressure on the Sooners defense. GK Short made a couple good saves to keep OU up by one.

The Sooners used 8 subs during the first half.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Nebraska outshot the Sooners 17-1 in the second half. That lead to Nebraska scoring 2 goals within about 9 minutes in the 2nd half to give the Huskers the 2-1 win.

Nebraska also had 7 corner kicks to 0 for OU in the game.

During the last 8-10 minutes of the 1st half the game momentum changed with Nebraska being the much more aggressive team. That continued throughout the 2nd half. I think the Sooners looked leg weary and really wore down in the 2nd half. Nebraska looked much fresher and much faster. as the game progressed. If not for a couple of fortunate or lucky plays, the Sooners would have allowed a couple more goals.

With the two outside defensive players always pushing the ball forward the two middle defensive players, Michel and Hartman, were pressured often by Nebraska. Nebraska did well in transition with loose balls in the middle of the pitch taking advantage of the lack of defenders in front of them and pressing forward to get shots.

The Sooner formation could be called a 4-4-2 alignment but it often ends up being a 2-4-4 as the Sooners advances the ball forward with the outside defenders and outside mid-fielders playing wide and pushing forward when they do not have an advantage or clear possession of the ball.

The Sooners play their next match at home on Thursday night at 7 PM versus Arkansas at John Crane Field.

Better Luck to the Sooners next Thursday!

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Sooner staff writers article about Sunday's loss to Nebraska is below:

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/8/21 ... ncoln.aspx

Coach Mark Carr got it right. The second half play was not what the Sooners need to be successful. I will say this though, they are playing many freshman an sophomore. Against Nebraska the young players played 691 minutes of the 990 minutes of the match. That is 69.8 % of the playing time. They played upperclassmen at GK, 2 Forwards and 2 Midfielders against Nebraska. Currently the Sooners are relying on young players to defend, advance the ball up the field on the outside and then to play the ball inside to the Forwards to score. While talented, the young players do need to develop at this level against higher level players. In the second half yesterday, the veteran Husker players up front totally took control of the game with their quick play and speed and quickness outside and up the middle.

As I said yesterday, I thought fatigue affected the Sooners. I do not know if that is conditioning or caused by traveling 8-9 hours and playing on the 3rd day after their opener on Thursday. But that type of schedule is not unusual over the long weekend in soccer.

I hope the players were able to get some rest yesterday traveling back to Norman and last night. They need to refresh their batteries before Thursday night.

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I've seen the highlights and would agree that the second half looked completely different than the first half. I had forgotten that this is where Short transferred from. She looked really good in the highlights, which means our defenders were failing us.

I don't know whether to call it Sooner Vision, Sooner Sports Network, or soonersports.tv. But the full replay and highlights have been posted online. I can't tell whether it requires a subscription. I'm not sure subscriptions still exist.

Full replay: https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=8711
Highlights: https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=8712
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Sorry, I come home from work ready to watch the soccer game and it's the replay of the Houston game. Oh well.