Sooner Women's Soccer Ready for Road Trip East this Weekend

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Women's Soccer Ready for Road Trip East this Weekend

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Soccer team travels to Tennessee and Kentucky this weekend with matches tonight and on Sunday. Tonight's game is against East Tennessee State @ 5 PM CST. Sunday's game is against Murray State @ Noon CST. Both matches are going to be streamed on ESPN+.

Here is the preview article from the staff writers.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/9/14 ... state.aspx

The Sooners have a record of 3-2-2 and hope to build upon that record as they have played well of late as they have won 3 of their last 4 matches with the other being a tie.

East Tennessee State is 2-2-2, Their two losses were to Liberty and Vanderbilt by a combined score of 0-10.

Murray State is 1-5-1.

Good luck to the Sooner Soccer Squad this weekend.

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I've finally caught up on watching the soccer games and it looks like we're settling into a starting lineup. Although I'll admit, I thought Short was doing an excellent job in goal. I keep comparing this team to last year's and we're a lot better this year. Of the non-starters, I feel like Eikelbarner is going to continue getting more playing time. Good things always seem to happen when she's on the field.

Of the freshman, Hartman is a stud on defense. Great speed. Not afraid to be physical. Seems to make good decisions. Washington and Pak have come on lately in the midfield and have broken into the starting lineup. Great ball skills. Ellie Goeffroy has been getting a lot of playing time on defense. She played all 90 minutes against Oral Roberts. Cassie Clifton has been playing more recently and had 68 minutes against Oral Roberts without starting. The freshmen have been very impressive and are playing a lot this year. If we get another class like this, we'll be contending for the conference championship on a consistent basis.

We have a number of sophomores/redshirt freshmen getting a lot of playing time as well. Weber, Michel, Kroflin, Pappas and Kelis Brown are doing well. The only upperclassmen consistently playing are Hawkins, Amos, and England. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with Short in goal. Is she hurt? Not feeling well? Is something off the field limiting her playing time? Or did she get passed on the depth chart by Ramey?

I'm excited about our future.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

After a scoreless first half in which the Sooners had 13 shots and 6 corner kicks, The Sooner finally broke through to score at the 47-minute mark on a Weber corner kick that ricocheted off of a East Tennessee State player into the net to score the first goal of the match. Hawkins followed with a nice left-footed goal 3 and 1/2 minutes after a nice feed from Washington to make is 2-0. Michel scored in her 2nd consecutive game 10 minutes later for a 3-0 lead. Bri Amos made it 4-0, five minutes later after a nice feed from Wagner.

East Tennessee finished the scoring at the 85-minute mark with a goal that probably should not have been scored as the Sooner defense was slow to retreat to help on defense. The final score was a 4-1 win for the Sooners.

Here is the post-game article about the win by staff writers.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/9/15 ... -half.aspx

The Sooners have not been defeated in their last five matches with 4 wins and one tie. They are now 4-2-2 on the young season. The starting lineup seems to have stabilized as this:

Defenders: Kroflin (RO), Michel, (RM), Hawkins (LM), Clifton (LO)
Mid-Fielders: Washington (RO), Pak (LO), Clifton and England (Float in Mid-field)
Forwards: Bri Amos and Hawkins
GK: Ramos
Eight subs regularly play in both halves with several of them providing strong minutes of play.

B Rapp and Geoffrey are playing good minutes as defenders.
Murrell, Wagner, Pappas and Brown are also playing well as substitutes in the mid-field area.
Eikelbarner and Wesco are also playing well as forwards.
The Sooners continued to press the ball forward utilizing Kroflin or Michel to move the ball forward from the defensive lines outside to either Washington or Pak. Washington and Pak are able to use speed to move forward on the outside and them move the ball into the box for scoring opportunities. England and Weber are handling the ball well in the center of the midfield facilitating balls forward to provide opportunities to Amos and Hawkins also. Things are working well for the Sooners right now. Every once in awhile they do get "out-over-their-skis" and make me nervous when they get caught short back on defense, but lately that has been minimized for the most part.

The Sooners have lots of speed that is making a difference at their key positions both as starters an as subs.

Freshman GK Ramos has done a good job as goalie since the SMU game. I know I commented that Short did not kick the ball deep out of the goal area much in the SMU match and thought maybe she had a leg issue. They could be trying to let Short heal fully before the Big 12 schedule starts. We will have to watch the Short/Ramos playing time going forward.

Their final game of pre-season is on Sunday against Murray State at Noon CST.

Good luck to the Sooners on Sunday.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Soccer Team finished their pre-Big 12 schedule with a win over Murray State 2-0. Michelle Pak scored a goal and had an assist while Alyssa Washington assisted on Pak's goal and Emma Hawkins scored on Washington's assist for the Sooner scores.

Here is the staff writers article about the 4th win-in-a-row for the young Sooners.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/9/18 ... state.aspx

The Sooners are now 5-2-2 as they head for Big 12 play against Baylor on September 23rd at 7 PM.

Boomer Sooner!