Bedlam Soccer Tonight - OSU visits the Sooners - 7 PM

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
OUBeliever56A

Bedlam Soccer Tonight - OSU visits the Sooners - 7 PM

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Soccer Team has a big match tonight at John Crain Field at 7 PM. The 2-1 (Big 12 record) host the Cowgirls from Oklahoma State 2-0-1 (Big 12 record) in a match between between the 4th team (OU) and one of the 3 1st place teams (OSU). Oklahoma State is 9-1-2 overall while Oklahoma is 7-3-2 overall.

Here is the pre-match article by the staff writers.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/10/5 ... sday-night

Tonight's match is the only time that OU or OSU plays this week. That should allow the both sets of starters to play a little longer which should make the match that much better. The Sooners have played the last two matches without Emma Hawkins, the Senior transfer from Central Arkansas that is the leading goal scorer for OU. She has been hampered by an ankle problem.

The Sooners have played well as of late. In their last match, the Sooners dropped a match 2-1. It was the only loss for the Sooners in their last 9 matches. Hopefully the Sooners return to the winning side tonight in a Bedlam matchup.

The match starts at 7 PM at John Crain Field. If you cannot be there, it is also on ESPN+ tonight.

Good luck to the ladies!

Boomer Sooner!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Wow!!

In Brent I Trust :D
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

First Thought:

3 , 1 9 7 fans
attended the game. Most ever at John Crain Field. The stands were full with numerous fans (100's) on the two berms on the east and west side of the field. I would say that there was a large contingency of fans from OSU at the game, maybe as many as 500. But there were a great number of Sooner fans. I know when I hear that the new softball field, Love's Field, will seat 3,500 fans when it is opened in 2024. That has always sounded like a big crowd. After seeing 3200 last night at John Crain Field, I can now say that I absolutely cannot wait to see 3500 Sooner Softball fans in Love's Field. It will be a great, loud home field advantage for Sooner softball. I am sure the crowd help the teams last night to play their best.

Here is the staff writers article about last night's match between the Sooners and the Cowgirls that ended in a 1-1 tie.

soonersports.com/news/2022/10/6/soccer-sooners-battle-back-for-bedlam-draw

I thought that the two teams both played well last night. Oklahoma State has some real speed and quickness on their team. That allowed them to get outside several times and have good scoring opportunities in front of the net. The goal that OSU scored was largely a play where the ball was mostly in the air off a set piece from the center of the field (if I remember right). the ball was headed a couple times prior to the initial shot that was stopped, Then after a scrum for the ball in front of the net, the ball ended up in the air again and the OSU player, Gracie Bindbeutel, headed the ball into the open goal. It is easy to see why the Cowgirls are playing well and have an overall record of 2-0-2 and 9-1-3 overall. After last night they are in 2nd place in the Big 12 with 8 points. They are tied in second with TCU and Texas Tech (Tech has played one more match).

With the two teams only playing one match this 'weekend" I think both team extended the minutes for their players on Thursday night. Several players on both teams got brief rests before coming back into the game.

For the Sooners I thought that they played their usual style of pushing players forward while keeping a solid line back for defense. It was surprising to see OSU move outside on the forward end and push the ball around the corner to center the ball in front of the goal. But the Sooners did control midfield behind the play of England, Weber and Brown. Kroflin, Washington and Clifton pushed the ball well on the outside also. Amos and Hawkins (playing for the first time in 3 matches) were active and always on the alert to get a shot off for Oklahoma. The game tying goal was an example of the Sooners pushing 7-8 players forward with controlled play ad control of the ball for a shot. The initial shot by the Sooners was from Hadley from the right half of the penalty box that had some heat on it. It was blocked by a player in front of the GK (if I remember right) that caromed directly to Michell Pak in the center of the penalty box about 18 feet away. My seat allowed me to see the opening for her shot. Pak one-touched the ball for control and then kicked the ball without a shot with good force on her kick. It split 2 or 3 defenders for OSU into the open net on the left side striking the side net inside the left goal post.

The Sooners received strong play, as they always seem to get, from Hawkins and Michel on the back row with help on the outside from Kroflin and Clifton or Gregory. At times, Hawkins and Michel pushed the ball forward in the center against the defensive minded OSU squad after they went ahead early in the 2nd half. When OSU did attack, the two defenders kept things under control in front of Ramey. But Ramey had several nice saves including a couple with one hand just tipping the ball outside or over the goal. Despite giving up the one goal, Ramey played well last night also.

The very young Sooners are playing very well over their last 10 games (7-1-2). The Sooners are only playing 3 players that are not Sophomores or Freshman. But England (JR) and Hawkins (SR) and Amos (R-SR) do provide a level of consistency and leadership for Oklahoma. The Sooners are now 2-1-1 on the Big 12 for 5th spot with 7 points. Oklahoma is 7-3-3 overall.

Their next action is against the two Kansas teams, with both matches on the road. On Thursday OU is in Lawrence to play Kansas at 7 PM (0-3-1 & 7-6-1) and then on Sunday, they travel to Manhattan to play Kansas State ay 1 PM (0-3-1 & 4-7-2). Both Kansas and Kansas State play on Sunday this weekend in matches where they are the underdogs. Kansas plays Texas while K-State plays Baylor.

The next Oklahoma home match is against TCU on October 20th.

Here's hoping the team gets some added rest this weekend before a week on the road. Picking up 6 points next week with 2 wins on the road would be huge for the Sooners.

Boomer Sooner!