Fall Softball vs NCTC -- Final Exams!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Fall Softball vs NCTC -- Final Exams!

Post by TropicalSooner »

Kind of a mis-leading title actually. Really just the last chance we as fans have to observe and cheer for our team this fall season.
I still wish this game was played when originally scheduled and this was the North Tejas game (that was cancelled). But such is life.

We do have a long history with NCTC. Not a pretty one for them--but they keep coming back. 2018 we won 19-0; 2019 we won 17-1; last year we won 24-0.

But this really isn't about the score. Don't even think about that.
This is our final chance to see our team perform before next Spring Season begins in February. What would you want to look for? What would you like to see in their final game? What are your impressions and thoughts as to what we've seen this fall?

For me, I'm interested to see how we line up and where. How is the battle for 3B and LF and DP going? We know from stats posted so generously by '56 who our .400+ hitters are from last year's starters: Coleman, Jennings, Hansen, Lyons, and Boone. Add to that the explosive fall that Sanders has had and we see our primary core form up. I'm interested to see where we go from there. What about the other new transfers? What about last year's bench? what about our new Freshmen?

This may be a telling moment for the Bench Players from last year. I'd like to see lots of innings for Green, Nugent, Lilio, and Coor. Also the new transfers: Lee, and Torres. And also for the new freshmen, Erickson and Hodge.
But what I'm expecting is our regular starters for the first 3 or 4 innings and then begin to sprinkle in the remaining team players as the game continues. This may be the last opportunity for extended play in a game for some of the players.

Pitching? We know what Bahl has and her effectiveness. We don't need to watch her against NCTC to find that out. But I expect we will just so she works out and stays loose. I would like to see Storako throwing against somebody besides our own team. She was lights out against SSJC. And May is so reliable. I'd like to see if she's come up with any new pitches that is troublesome for NCTC. And I especially would like to see multiple innings from both our freshmen. Let's see what they've got against a team not our own. I am hoping for great things from Deal and Geurin. I'd like to see them really show out tomorrow night.

Boomer!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Very good post "TropicalSooner'.

I think we do know that some things are decided. My thoughts on that.

- Hansen is back, period. She is likely the best combination of defense and offense that plays catcher in the game today. She is the starting C and will hit somewhere between the 4th and 6th spots in the lineup.

- Sanders is a wonderfully talented hitter that the Sooners have added to the team. She will be a starter. She will likely hit in the 2nd or 3rd spot. She will start as the 1B or maybe the DP.

- Jennings has still got that HR stroke. She is headed for her 3rd straight All-American type of season. She will start at 2B and hit either 2nd or 3rd.

- Lyons is so Graceful fielding a ground ball. She is the best shortstop in the game today and she will start at SS and hit somewhere between the 4th and 6th spots in the lineup.

- Coleman is the best CF in the lineup and she may be the best leadoff hitter in the game. I think she will add 15 HRs this season to the offense. Coleman bats leadoff and excites the team often,

- Lee is likely a starter most of the time. She will likely be the DP or maybe a game here and there at C. When she starts, she will be somewhere between 4th and 6th in the lineup.

- Boone has certainly done everything she has been asked to do to be a starter. She will be a starter and be a great 9-hole hitter in the batting order.

- 3B and LF are up for grabs. I think that Torres and Brito are still the leading candidates to earn those jobs. It probably ends up with Torres at 3B and Brito in LF. But if one falters, at least a couple of other players could be in the mix. If the twosome of Brito and Torres can hit well enough to be on a pace to hit .350-.375 and each hit 15 HRs, they will start all year probably. They would hit in the 7th and 8th spots.

- Erickson has shown her potential this on defense and in the batter's box. I think she will be more of the backup Catcher than Lee will be. Erickson has also shown that she is an accomplished defensive first baseman. But she has also shown she can play the outfield, at least RF anyway. I can see Erickson playing RF and Boone moving to LF if needed to get Erickson's bat in the lineup.
Erickson will hit between the sixth and 8th spot when she starts, if she starts. One of Lee, Torres, Brito or Boone has to sit for Erickson to play.

- Lilio has shown a strong bat this fall but she has not had too many balls hit to her to show her defense. She has a history of playing 2B, 3B and the corner OFs. I think she is the 3rd option at 3B but she could get some starts there. She could also get some starts in LF if one of Torres/Brito falters. Lilio would hit in the 7th or 8th spot in the lineup.

- Bahl has shown the desire to hit and she has shown that she can hit well. Can she hit well enough in the opinions of the coaches to hit when she pitches. Maybe so. That means that she will move someone to the bench when that occurs. If Lee can play LF well enough, I would say that one of Torres/Brito sits when Bahl hits. Maybe it could be Boone also with Lee moving to RF. Bahl would hit 8th probably when she is in the lineup.

As for Green, Nugent, Coor and Hodge. Coor and Hodge will be pinch-runners for an already fast Sooner team. The can both also play defense late with a lead to give starters a rest now and then. Green will be a spot pinch-hitter. Nugent will get playing time after the Sooners get ahead. Nugent has shown she can play C, 1B, LF or RF.

In the circle, We have to remember who the Sooner pitchers have been pitching to all fall.

- Bahl has probably calmed all fears that she is healthy. She has pitched very well all fall except for one inning that included a Jennings Grand Slam after a few walks.

- Storako has looked very good at times and then looked like she van give up lots of EBH. Again, the hitters are pretty good. Storako is also trying to add a pitch I think. Plus, as we saw just this week, she has had some issue with her landing foot/ankle. I think she will be a very good #2 come February thru June in 2023.

- May, like Storako, has been pitching to the Sooners. She will be fine against teams that do not know her. I think May is the 3rd choice to start in 2023.

- Deal has pitched well in her innings this fall. She is not a power pitcher. She is a finesse pitcher that can throw above 65 mph though. She hits spots well against hitters. She seems to have learned from her mistakes and she does not give in to a hitter. She may walk a hitter or two, but she gets out of it due to her control. She may not get too many spots, but she will have an important role coming out of the pen in 2023. May and Deal are a good combination of RH-LH pitchers to back up Bahl and Storako.

- Geurin has done her job in the fall. She pitches her own game and makes a hitter adjust to what she is doing. When she hits her spots with her speed choice, Geurin is very effective. She will get her innings and will contribute in 2023.

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Better take a heavy hoodie with you....there's gonna be a cold wind rippin' out of the north before the game's over.
If anyone can tell, curious about what the pitchers are throwing and what they're using for their "out pitch".
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Why is it that Grace Green appears to never have gotten over stepping away from pitches with her left foot, leaving her vulnerable to pitches on the outside part of the plate?
White River

Post by White River »

Looks like Bahl is getting the start in the circle
White River

Post by White River »

Haven't seen a lineup yet
No announcers so far, just game camera behind the plate and stadium PA if you listen close
Leadoff batter for NCTC hits a bloop single to RF
Bahl strikes out the second batter - 1 away
Third batter hit a fly ball to deep LF that got over the head of the fielder. Runners on 2nd and 3rd
Cleanup hitter hits a weak grounder to 1st, Sooners make the play at first, Runner scores. 2 away, runner on third
#5 hitter strikes out

NCTC leads 1-0 headed to the bottom of the first.
White River

Post by White River »

Audio problems with the feed, there are announcers
Coleman flies out to foul territory in deep LF for the 1st out
Jennings draws a 4 pitch walk
Hansen batting 3rd, draws a walk as well
Lee batting cleanup, pops up behind the plate but NCTC let it hit the ground due to poor communication, Lee then hits one off the wall in LC to score two runs
Runner on second, Sooners lead 2-1, 1 out
Brito batting 5th,
White River

Post by White River »

Brito drives a bomb to CF scoring 2, now 4-1 Sooners with 1 out!

White River

Post by White River »

Torres flies out to RC for the second out
Jordy Bahl hits a weak line drive to the 1/2 hole caught by the first baseman to end the inning

4-1 Sooners after 1
White River

Post by White River »

Defensive lineup
Bahl pitching
Hansen Catching
Nugent 1st
Lilio 2nd
Jennings SS
Brito 3rd
Torres LF
Coleman CF
Boone RF
White River

Post by White River »

NCTC leadoff batter grounds to Brito at 3rd for the first out
Bahl gets the strikeout for the second out
Bahl gets the strikeout for the 3rd out

Headed to the bottom of the second, 4-1 Sooners
White River

Post by White River »

Nugent leads off with a weak hit just over the second baseman's head for a single
Boone lays down a bunt that NCTC plays poorly, she is safe at 1st and Nugent advances to 3rd
Boone steals second base, runners at 2nd and 3rd
Lilio drives a ball to RF that gets by the fielder to the wall, 2 runs score and Lilio is on 3rd. (Single and a 2 base error)
Coleman bunts into a squeeze that NCTC plays poorly, Lilio would have been out at home with a throw but they went to first and everyone was safe! Run scores
Jennings hits into a FC, Coleman out at 2nd
Hansen walks on 4 pitches, 7-1 Sooners with 1 out, runners on 1st and second
Lee flies out to LCF trying to pull an outside pitch
Brito back at the plate after her HR earlier, grounder to 3rd, base touched for the third out

Sooners up 7-1 through 2
White River

Post by White River »

Bahl returns for the 3rd
Scoreboard now says 6-1 Sooners where earlier it showed 7 runs
Bahl strikes out the leadoff

Storako headed to the circle to relieve Jordy
White River

Post by White River »

Storako hits her first batter, that'll leave a mark, runner on first 1 out
Stor-ike-out on a change-up for the second
Runner advances to second on a wild pitch
Stor-ike-out for the third out

Sooners lead 6-1 headed to the bottom of the third
Last edited by White River on Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White River

Post by White River »

Score goes back to 7-1, not sure why it changed or changed back

Torres at the plate

Game suspended due to bad weather. At least a 30 minute delay