Softball Class of 2021

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OU_Tom

Softball Class of 2021

Post by OU_Tom »

Softball America announced their 2021 Class player rankings yesterday afternoon. The recruits that have committed to the Oklahoma Sooners in this class are;

Jordyn Bahl, P / 2B from Nebraska

Sophia Nugent, C / Corner IF from California

Quincee Lilio, 2B / OF from California

Turiya Coleman, C / UT from Texas

Alexx Waitman, SS / 3B from Oklahoma

Emmy Guthrie, P / OF from Oklahoma

In somewhat of a repeat from last years SA rankings, the Sooner recruits dominate the Top 20 player rankings. The Sooners now have 5 players in the Top 19 and 6 players in the Top 100 players. I will report later on the Big 12 recruits and the top national teams. But OU looks to be very close to if not the top team in the country in these rankings also. These rankings are a continuation of the evidence that the Sooner program is recruiting very well despite the great talent they have already in the program.

- - - - -

> Jordyn Bahl, 5'7" B/R T/R - She repeats as the #1 player in the country according to SA. After a dramatic rise in the rankings last year to the #1 player he has followed up that season with one that is even better. Not only is she a great pitcher, she can hit with the best of them. She does not have a large frame but at 5'7" she must be very strong and have excellent technique. Her dramatic rise in the rankings occurred after she dropped a second sport and concentrated on softball only. Bahl should make an immediate impact for the Sooners in the fall of 2021.

(from SA)

Papillion-La Vista (Papillion, Neb.)
CLUB TEAM: Nebraska Thunder
COLLEGE: Oklahoma

Bahl had video game type numbers in her junior season for Papillion-La Vista, leading them to a 36-0 record and state title. In the circle over 28 appearances, she had a 0.15 ERA and 27 wins. She also crushed 22 home runs with a .581 average. Her club numbers from the summer were nearly identical with a 41-1 record and 0.43 ERA.

- - - - -

> Sophia Nugent, 5'10" B/R T/R - Ms Nugent was unranked last year in the SA rankings. She makes an amazing rise to the #3 player in the country. This type of rise is uncommon in the rankings. It is similar to the rise by Bahl last year when Bahl went to being ranked at times to the #1 player in the country. I saw Nugent out at the Mary Nutter tournament in Feb. This young woman has a catcher's frame and looks tremendously strong. Nugent will contribute as a freshman for the Sooners but with Elam in her 5th year at C, Hansen in her third year at 1B or C, and Johns at 3B in her 5th year the competition seems to be very crowded. The talent just keeps getting crowded.

(from SA)

Los Alamitos (Los Alamitos, Calif.) C/3B
CLUB TEAM: Firecrackers

Nugent was a late riser in the 2021 class. The Sooner commit has done her more impressive work with the Firecrackers and has displayed her power at both the high school and club levels.

- - - - -

> Quincee Lilio, 5'2" B/L T/R - The former #1 player in the country a couple seasons ago, and the #7 player last year, dropped to the #13 player in the country. I am sure her skills are the same as when she was the #1 player but at 5/2" it is difficult to do the same things that other players at 5'9" can do. Lilio is a great defensive player playing 2B or the OF. Ms. Lilio will contribute for the Sooners as a freshman as a utility player but may not start much. She is a classic 1 / 2 hitter. She gets on base and hits the ball sharply. She does have a shot at stating some in the OF perhaps.

(from SA)

Great Oak (Temecula, Calif.)2B/OF
CLUB TEAM: Athletics Mercado

Leading off and playing right field for the talented championship Athletics Mercado squad, Lilio holds a steady bat. In her sophomore year at Great Oak, she batted .435 with 37 runs scored.

- - - - -

> Turiya Coleman, 5'8" B/L T/R - 'Ms T' Coleman has been in the top 20 as a player for a number of years. Last year she was ranked #14. She currently is rated as the #17 player in the country. She is a rare combination of speed power and versatility. She is listed as a catcher but has played SS on a Houston-based RBI team. I think she will play anywhere but catcher for the Sooners although she could challenge for playing time there. I think she gets a good look as an outfielder and will contribute as a freshman for the Sooners. 'Ms T' may be the big surprise of this recruiting class as she has the versatility to play the needed position for the Sooners as players move through the program.

(from SA)

C.E. King (Houston, Texas) C (I think she is playing out of Acostisita, TX (Humble ISD) now.
CLUB TEAM: Impact Gold

Coleman made her pledge to Oklahoma back in 2017. Her Houston RBI softball team won the title in 2019 and Coleman had a three-run inside-the-park home run in the win.

- - - - -

> Alexx Waitman, 5'9" B/L T/R - The central Oklahoma product has been consistently in the rankings for years as a SS. After being ranked #17 last year she is ranked as the #19 player this year. She is playing at the national level with winning clubs and is contributing well. She has been on All-Star teams in Oklahoma since 2018. She has played with many of the current and future Sooners. I do not think Waitman will play SS for the Sooners. I think she may end up at 1B / 3B or OF after a couple of years at Oklahoma. Again, like all the position players that join the Sooners in the fall of 2021, she will play and contribute. She could be a very important LH power hitting player for the Sooners.

(from SA)

Crossings Christian (Oklahoma City, Okla.)SS
CLUB TEAM: Athletics Mercado

Waitman, also a track runner at Crossings Christian, has a ton of athleticism to play either middle infield position or third base. With her lefty bat, she belted out five home runs and had a .630 batting average. She also added 26 steals.

- - - - -

> Emmy Guthrie, 5'6" B/R T/R - Ms. Guthrie has been in the top 100 players for several years also. This year she was ranked as the #90 player in the country after missing out last year. I was able to find a picture of Ms. Guthrie today which helps me. I have been told or read a couple of different things about her in the last year. I think she may be more of an athlete than what some people have shared. She is on a top Texas Glory team I think now or maybe the Oklahoma Athletics team. Sh will fill out a full pitching staff at Oklahoma. Her style is a pitcher with a great deal of rotation and movement who can cause misses and miss-hits by hitters. Depending on the pitching staff in the 2021-2022 year for the Sooners, it is possible that Guthrie could contribute as a freshman or red-shirt as a freshman.

(from SA)

Lone Grove (Lone Grove, Okla.) P/OF
CLUB TEAM: Texas Glory
::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Originally from OUBeliever

For the 2021 Class, Here is what I have.

Extra Innings Softball (EIS) updated in Nov 2020 after the fall seasons. I do not think they will update again according to their schedule that is out there. Note: EIS ranks 2 or 3 players who 'tie' for most rankings 1 thru 100. So there are about 300 players rated within their 'Top 100' players.

Softball America (SA) updated in the summer of 2020 and will update the 2021 Class one final time this summer. Note: SA ranks the Top 100 players with one player holding each ranked position.

FloSoftball - I have some rankings but not all.

Here were the rankings for the 7 Sooner Commits.

Jordyn Bahl - 5'7" - RHP/2B/DH
SA - #1 player. EIS - #1 player. FloSoftball - unknown.

Sophia Nugent - 5' 10" - C/3B
SA - #3 player, EIS - T-#2

Quincee Lillo - 5' 2" - OF/2B
SA - #13 player. EIS - T-#5, FloSoftball - #4 player.

Turiya Coleman - 5' 8" - C/UT/2B
SA - #17 player, EIS - T-#5, FloSoftball - T-#12

Alexx Waitman - 5' 9" - SS
SA - #19 player, EIS - T-#11, FloSoftball - T-#12

Emmy Guthrie - 5'6" - RHP
SA - #90 player, EIS - T-#22, FloSoftball - T-#51

Hannah Coor - 5' 9" - OF
SA - unranked (but should be this summer) - EIS - T-#14, FFloSoftball - unknown.

This is a Top 3 ranked class by just about everyone who ranks players.

There is immediate help for the 2021-2022 year from Bahl and Nugent. IT is probable that Lilio, T Coleman, Waitman and Coor will vie for playing time. Guthrie will be in the mix in the circle with McAdoo/Vestal/Thiede.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

the signings of seven incoming freshmen set to join the Sooners in 2021.

https://soonersports.com/news/2020/11/1 ... -2021.aspx
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Repost from Old board by OUBELIEVER
High School News: NFCA Announces 2021 High School All-American Teams

(from Extra Innings Softball)

On Friday, the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) revealed its 1st, 2nd and 3rd Team High School All-American Teams comprising 48 student-athletes from 38 programs.

Fifteen different institutions were represented on the first team with Sheldon High School (Sacramento, Calif.) notching two accolades.

Overall, Donovan Catholic High School (Toms River, N.J.) and Keystone High School (La Grange, Ohio) led the way with four honorees each. Sheldon followed with three All-Americans with West Monroe (La.) High School and Bryan (Texas) High School earning two nods apiece.

The NFCA High School All-America teams are voted on by a committee of member head coaches from the pool of players who were nominated and earned first-team All-Region recognition in the five high school regions. The three 16-member squads had representation from 19 different states.

Headlining the first team were four 2021 state Gatorade Players of the Year, highlighted by Gatorade National Player of the Year, Jordan Bahl, a pitcher from Papillion (Neb.)-LaVista High School. Joining Bahl on the first team are hurlers Roncalli High School (Indianapolis) sophomore Keagan Rothrock, Spain Park High School (Hoover, Ala.) senior Annabelle Widra and Lone Grove (Okla.) High School senior Emmy Guthrie… all pitchers.

(My comment:) Bahl and Guthrie are 2021 commits to the Oklahoma Sooners and will join the Sooners in Norman in august 2021. Rothrock is a 2023 commit to Florida and will join the Gators in the fall of 2023. Widra is a 2021 Michigan commit that will join the Wolverines in August 2021.

Here’s a look at each position and the honorees:

1st Team Pitchers:
Bahl led the Monarchs (36-0) to a second consecutive perfect season and the Class A state championship. Nebraska’s returning state Gatorade Softball Player of the Year posted a 27-0 record with a 0.10 ERA. The righty surrendered just 27 hits and 15 walks in 137 innings pitched, and struck out 316 batters. Offensively, Bahl batted .510 with 20 home runs and 55 RBI.

Rothrock topped the Roncalli record books in 2021 with 24 wins, 364 strikeouts and 13 shutouts. She recorded a miniscule 0.13 ERA, allowing just 10 runs, three earned, over 160.1 innings of works. She issued just six walks and opponents hit just 0.57 (40 hits) against her. Rothrock helped herself out offensively, batting .441 with 11 doubles, 20 RBI and .457 on-base percentage.

Widra is one of two three-time All-Americans on the 2021 squad, earning first-team honors in 2019 and second-team recognition in 2018. Leading Spain Park to state finals appearance, and a No. 4 national ranking (USA Today/NFCA High School Super 25 Poll), Widra posted a 20-5 mark with a 1.19 ERA and 236 strikeouts to just 12 walks over 123 innings of work. She tossed 14 shutouts and held her opposition to a .145 batting average. At the plate, she hit .480 with 49 hits, 15 home runs, 47 RB and 51 runs scored. She posted a 1.690 OPS and swiped 32 bases.

Guthrie, an at-large Pitcher selection, finished up an accomplished prep career posting a 28-2 record with a 0.69 ERA and 310 strikeouts in 163 innings. She twirled 20 shutouts, walked just 24 batters and held the opposition to a .127 batting average. For her career, Guthrie finished with 92 wins, 1,017 strikeouts and a .90 ERA.

Rounding out the first team pitching selections is Keystone’s Lily Cassell. The junior hurler led the Wildcats to a state championship, 33-1 record, and a No. 9 ranking in the final the Super 25 Poll. Cassell posted a 30-1 mark with a 1.35 ERA and 255 strikeouts to 39 walks in 176.2 innings. She registered eight shutouts and held teams to a .165 batting average.

(My Comment:) Lily Cassell is an uncommitted 2022 player at this point. I do not show her in the Top 100 'players' for Extra Inning Softball IS or the Top 100 plyers for Softball America players for 2022.

- - -
(My Correction:) I confused two lists that were provided via the EIS website. On Monday thru Friday last week, EIS published their First Team High School All - Americans. They had players grouped into five groups. Pitchers, Catchers, Infielders, Outfielders and Multi-Purpose (think P and something else). At the same time on Saturday, EIS published the NFCA High School All-Americans which consisted of three teams, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. This topic, that I generated yesterday, was an article about the NFCA teams. I accidently crossed the two sets of selections and figured this out today as EIS published their 2nd team selections. Opps, my mistake. Yesterday I included some EIS info in this, the NFCA selections. I am correcting that now. I have removed that info and will provide it in another topic after EIS publishes their Player of the Year tonight.
- - -

- - - - -

(My comment:) There were no other Sooner committed players (11 additional players thru the 2023 class) that made the 1st, 2nd and 3rd All-American Teams announced by EIS. Keep in mind that these awards is for high school softball only for the Fall 2020 fast-pitch and the Spring 2021 fast-pitch seasons in the various states. That does not cause concern for me at all as I am unsure how many players actually played full seasons or even played in high school during that time frame. From 2021, Nugent, Lilio, Coor and from 2023, Bland are California players. From 2021, T Coleman and from 2022, Hodge and Geurin are from Texas. From 2021, Waitman and from 2023, McAnally are from Oklahoma. From 2022, Erickson is from Arizona and I believe she was injured during her softball season. From 2023, Manning is from Louisiana.

Boomer Sooner!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

This class didn't really pan out; a bunch of short timers. Quincee Lilio is the only one left
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

OU_Tom wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:40 pm This class didn't really pan out; a bunch of short timers. Quincee Lilio is the only one left
Hannah coor also
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I glanced at Guthrie's HS stats and was really impressed - again. So sad she had to retire early due to a medical issue.

I definitely am surprised this class ended up with so much attrition. Did not see that coming at all.