Sooner Volleyball - More Movement on the Team for 2023!

Forum to discuss OU volleyball
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Volleyball - More Movement on the Team for 2023!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I was looking at the Volleyball Roster for the Oklahoma Sooners to check out the name of the new transfer from Texas State. What I saw, concerned me.

Morgan Perkins (MB) was not on the roster. Neither was Beth Bayless (OH) a PWO or Tyler Alcorn (OH/MB).

- Alcorn was injured most of the 2022 season so that is understandable on some level.

- But to see Perkins, who was a great addition to the Sooners as a freshman, is going to really hurt the Sooners. I did a little digging and she has transferred to Texas A&M. It looks like her previous 'select team' coaches are associated with the A&M program.

- Bayless was a PWO and showed that she could play an all-around game but was perhaps a couple of inches shorter than you would prefer.
With the loss of Megan Wilson to Kentucky, Peyton Dunn to Auburn, the Sooners are left right now with 8 players on their roster with the new Head Coach, aaron Mansfield. He just hired two assistants. Brian Thornton and Meredith Teague to his staff on Thursday. Thornton will serve as an assistant coach and Teague as technical coordinator.

The Sooners lost Savannah Davison, Adria Oliver to graduation and Grace Talpash (Grad Student that is xferring).

Current Roster:

Kelsey Carrington (MB) 6'3"
Payton Chamberlain (Setter) 6'0"
Kristen Birmingham (OPP/OH) 6'3"
Callie Kemohah (DS/Libero) 5'6"
Alexis Shelton (OH) 6'2"
Sydney Thompson (DS/Libero) 5'9" (Looks taller to me)
Taylor Preston (OH) 6'2"
Chloe Kaminski (DS) 5'8"

The Sooners did pick up a transfer from Texas State named Daleigh Elliott (OH) RS-Junior 5'10"

The Sooners have three players coming to the Sooners from the Class of 2023.

MELE CORRAL-BLAGOJEVICH / OUTSIDE HITTER / 6'1" / REDONDO BEACH, CALIF. / REDONDO UNION HIGH SCHOOL / MIZUNO LONG BEACH
EMMA HENRY / SETTER / 5'8" / NORMAN, OKLA. / NORMAN HIGH SCHOOL / SKYLINE JUNIORS
HANNAH PFIFFNER / MIDDLE BLOCKER / 6'1" / FRISCO, TEXAS / WAKELAND HIGH SCHOOL / TEXAS ADVANTAGE VOLLEYBALL CLUB (TAV)

IMO, losing Wilson and Perkins is a bit of a blow to the Team. Corral-Blagojevich and Pfiffner maybe ready to come in and play immediately as freshmen though. Carrington and Birmingham should be ready to play also for the Sooners in rotation along with Thompson. Elliott looks to be solid depth added for the Sooners.

It will be interesting to see what Coach Mansfield can do with the club in 2023. I hope they do something this spring so we can see them play.

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Losing Wilson is a huge blow. She's exactly the kind of player we need and we have no one else like her. Perkins is a really good player, but she's undersized as a middle blocker. She's the best we have, so it's going to hurt.

If you look around at the best volleyball teams in the country, you'll see that they put up front rows of 6'4" and 6'5" players. We need to get to that point to be competitive.