1st Place OU Women's Basketball at Kansas on Sunday at 2 PM

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

1st Place OU Women's Basketball at Kansas on Sunday at 2 PM

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Women's Basketball Team, in a tie with Texas for 1st place at 11-3 in the Big 12 conference with Texas, travels to Lawrence, KS for Sunday's game with Kansas. The Sooners defeated the Jayhawks 80-74 in LNC earlier in the season. The game tips at 2 p.m. on ESPN+, with Josh Klingler and Jill Dorsey-Hall calling the action for ESPN, while Brian Brinkley handles play-by-play for the Sooner Radio Network. There are selection points to listen, to watch and to get the live stats in the article below.

Here is the staff writers article about the OU-Kansas game.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/17 ... -at-kansas

The Sooners should not take the game lightly on Sunday. The Jayhawks played them close in Norman. Kansas has a nucleus of a good team with Jackson inside, Franklin, Kersgieter and Mayberry who all average between 12 and 16 PPG. Oklahoma needs to win to remain in the 1st Place tie with Texas before the BIG matchup with Texas next Saturday at home in Norman. Meanwhile, today Texas is hosting West Virginia in Austin.

All six of the Sooner 'starters' Liz Scott, Williams, Llanusa, Robertson, Tot and Vann need to play well on Sunday. Key bench players Joens, Tucker and Culliton also need to play well against Kansas. Oklahoma needs to take care of the basketball and play the game at their pace with efficiently. Kansas does hustle the boards well also. So the Sooners need to rebound well to allow them to play at their preferred pace. And as always, the Sooners need to shoot well to create the advantage the Sooners have. The THREE's are always important to the Sooners to build a lead in the game.

Good luck to the Sooners on Sunday!

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In Women's Big 12 play on Saturday a couple of teams picked up key wins.

Oklahoma State won in Lubbock over Texas Tech 92-80. The win lift OSU to a 9-5 record and drops Tech to a 4-10 record.

Iowa State won in Waco over Baylor in a 2-overtime thriller. Donarski and Joens led the Cyclones in overtime for the road win for I-State. the win for I-State keeps them tied with OSU for Third Place. The home loss drops Baylor to 7-7, a full two games behind OSU and I-State.

TCU won their first game in conference over Kansas State 75-62. TCU now has a 1-13 record while K-State dropped into a tie with Tech at 4-10.

While Oklahoma is in Lawrence playing Kansas today, Texas will be in Austin hosting West Virginia in games that will keep OU and Texas tied for 1st Place if they both win.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Man, this is a big game for our ladies. Need a win to set up a huge game against Texas next Saturday (no midweek game this week). With OSU rounding into form, we still have a trip to Stillwater in the final regular season game. They would like nothing better than to ruin title hopes for the Sooners.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

From SoonerSports.com: (I watched the OU softballers play at noon, but forgot the 2 pm ladies basketball game... Darn!) ... BTW, someone please tell me how I can make the text in this comment red instead of what I did by highlighting it? I couldn't find the font color choices...

Sooners Win Sixth Straight, Defeat KU in Lawrence

02/19/2023 04:39:00 PM | Women's Basketball
Share:

By: OU Athletics Communications

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Madi Williams scored 23 points, Liz Scott posted a double-double, and No. 15 Oklahoma escaped Allen Fieldhouse with a come-from-behind, 86-80, win over Kansas on Sunday.

The win kept Oklahoma (22-4, 12-3 Big 12) in a tie for first place in the Big 12 standings through 15 games of conference play. The Sooners held Kansas (16-9, 6-8 Big 12) scoreless over the final 3:12 of regulation to grab the victory, extending their winning streak to six.

"Another really good game for the Big 12 and women's basketball," head coach Jennie Baranczyk said. "I thought that Kansas played incredible, and they're so well-coached. They had a bunch of players step up and shine, but so did we. I thought that Madi (Scott) was great for us today and set the tone on both ends of the floor, and that Liz (Scott) was just huge for us."

The first quarter was a shootout between the two teams, as the Jayhawks opened up a five-point lead before a Taylor Robertson 3-pointer and Skylar Vann layup pushed it to 27-27 after one. Kansas used an 8-0 run to gain its largest lead of the game at 35-27, but the Sooners responded as Williams had 10 second-quarter points to push OU in front, 50-46, at the break and give the Sooners a lead they wouldn't surrender. The Sooners built their lead to eight points in the third, but KU kept chipping away as the Jayhawks closed the third on an 8-2 run to cut OU's lead to one entering the final quarter. The teams traded blows throughout the final 10 minutes, with KU cutting the deficit to one multiple times, but the Oklahoma defense held KU scoreless over the final 3:12 as Kansas missed its last nine shots. The Sooners finished a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line in the final minute to finish off the 86-80 win.

Madi Williams finished with 23 points, five rebounds, five steals and three assists in a dominant effort. Ana Llanusa added 18 points with four boards and four assists on an efficient 6-of-10 shooting. Liz Scott's 15-point, 10-rebound double-double was crucial in OU's success, as the post controlled the paint for large stretches of the contest. Aubrey Joens finished with 12 points, while fellow sharpshooter Taylor Robertson added 11 points of her own in her curtain call in her home state of Kansas.

Both teams shot a matching 31-of-64 (.484) from the field, but the Sooners hit two more 3-pointers, which proved to be the difference. Oklahoma also matched Kansas on the boards, with each team pulling down 38 rebounds, and KU narrowly edging the Sooners with eight second-chance points to OU's seven. Oklahoma, the nation's leader in assists per game, dished out 19 dimes, compared to KU's 20, but the Sooners only turned it over seven times, while forcing KU into 12 turnovers.

A battle for first place in the Big 12 awaits the Sooners when they host Texas (21-7, 12-3) at Lloyd Noble Center on Saturday at 1 p.m. The two teams are tied at 12-3 in conference play, with the Longhorns winning the matchup in Austin, 78-58, earlier in the season. Oklahoma seeks its first Big 12 championship since 2009.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Women' Basketball Team successfully exited from Lawrence, KS on Sunday with a hard fought win over Kansas 86-80. The game was very close throughout as neither team lead or trailed by more than 8 points. But, OU did lead for 29 and a half minutes of the 40 minute game. It was a tie ballgame at the end of the 1Q, OU led by 4 at half, OU led by 1 at the end of the 3Q and they finally won by 6. The win was the Sooners sixth consecutive win.

An hour or so later, Texas defeated West Virginia in Austin 74-48. Both Oklahoma and Texas are now 12-3 in conference and are tied for 1st place in the Big 12. Neither team plays a mid-week game this week as they both will practice all week before their game on Saturday at 1 PM in Norman at the LNC that will be televised on ESPN+.

Here is the staff writers article about the road win. (this article is provided above by 'BudaSooner')

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/19 ... n-lawrence

I only watched part of the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter yesterday. (softball game conflict) The part of the game I watched was a good game with good back and fourth action by both teams. It never seemed like Ou was going to lose, but Kansas was always right there trying to upset the Sooners. Both teams had 64 shots from the field in the game which is unusual in that Kansas was able to match OU shot-for-shot. OU had a season-low, I believe, 7 turnovers. Great Job! Almost every statistic was even-ish between the two teams.

Five Sooners scored in double-figures with Williams leading the way with 23. LLanusa added 18 with Liz Scott scoring 15, Joens scoring 12 and Robertson scoring 11. (Yes, Robertson made three 3's with LLanusa adding 4 and Joens 2 and Williams 1. Liz Scott also had 10 rebounds for a strong double-double.

I noticed looking at the box score that Vann only played 14 minutes in the game and ZERO minutes in the 4Q. Did she get injured or was Liz Scott playing so well that Vann just stayed on the bench? I do not see any foul issues with Vann either. Liz Scott played a season high, I believe, 30 minutes.

Oklahoma needs to have a good week in practice this week and get ready for the Texas Longhorns to arrive before the Saturday game. Texas will challenge the Sooners inside and on the perimeter.

Good luck to the Sooner women this week.

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

For my 2 cents - Liz Scott was very effective against the KU bigs, Vann was much less so. Also, Beatrice Cullerton had a difficult game - she was ineffective against the KU bigs. She’s been playing really well, so I hated to see it. I’m still very optimistic about her future. I was worried about Scott making it to the end because of fouls, but she hung on and played well.

I’m pretty sure the game is available on-demand at ESPN+.