Oklahoma Women's BB - #5 Seed - Plays Portland in LA on Saturday

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Oklahoma Women's BB - #5 Seed - Plays Portland in LA on Saturday

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Basketball Team was awarded a #5 Seed in the NCAA Tourney and plays Portland in the opening round in Los Angeles in Pauley Pavillion on Saturday. The time of the game on Saturday will be determined later. The Sooners are 25-6 on the season while Portland is 23-8.

Here is the staff writers article about the Sooners NCAA berth and first round game.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/3/12 ... -no-5-seed

I hope the Sooners can get a bit more healthy (Williams and Llanusa) this week and prepare well for Portland on Saturday.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners will open the NCAA Tourney as a #5 seed with their 25-6 record. The Sooners will play #12 seed Portland in their opening game at 8 PM CST. A win for the Sooners will match them up with either #13 seed Sacramento State or #4 seed UCLA on Monday. The potential two games will be Los Angeles at the Pauley Pavilion.

Portland is 23-8 on the season. They have not ventured too far from the west coast in 2023. They look to have a solid team with some size. They play 7 players over 20 minutes a game with 5 of the players being 6'0" or taller. Perhaps their best player, Fowler averages 17.8 PPG and 5.5 rebounds as a 6'2" forward. The play at a fair pace of play as they score 69.5 PPG and allow 62.0. The shoot better than average as they shot 46% from the field, 33% from 3-point and 72% from the free throw line.

The success for the Sooners on Saturday may boil down to how much and how well two injured players play. Williams and Llanusa can help the Sooners a great deal if they both are near full-speed and can play well in their normal amount of minutes. Of course, Tot, Liz Scott and Robertson and 6th player, Vann, will be key as well to Oklahoma's success. Subs Vann, Tucker, Culliton will hep the Sooners also. The Sooner games are always affected by their ability to stay out of foul trouble and their ability to run with their offense and their ability to handle the ball efficiently and minimize turnovers. If they can do that, they usually rebound well and shoot well and have a good chance to win.

Good luck to the Sooner Women this weekend.

Boomer Sooner!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

In Brent I Trust :D
EMan

Post by EMan »

I've come to grips with the Sooners having a large number of turnovers every game, but that first half was frustrating to watch. Too many unforced turnovers. But that second half was all Sooners! They pretty much dominated the last 20 minutes of that game. That was enjoyable to watch! :D
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

EMan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:23 pm I've come to grips with the Sooners having a large number of turnovers every game, but that first half was frustrating to watch. Too many unforced turnovers. But that second half was all Sooners! They pretty much dominated the last 20 minutes of that game. That was enjoyable to watch! :D
The officials finally woke up and came to the party in the second half. I haven't seen aggressive defense like that since Vic Schaeffer was an assistant at Texas A&M.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Basketball Team played one of their better games of the year on Saturday evening in LA at Pauley Pavillion and defeated Portland 85 to 63. The most noticeable stat for the Sooners on the night was their dominance in the rebound stat. The Sooners outrebounded Portland 47 rebounds to 31 with 20 offensive rebounds that lead to 24 second chance points. You can win many basketball games with that dominance on the boards. The Sooners also outshot Portland from both areas of the floor that included a 36.4 % from the 3-point area. The Sooners also made 19 of 24 free throws on the night.

Here is the staff wrtiers article about the Sooners first round win over Portland.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/3/18 ... cond-round

Five Sooners scored in double figures for the Sooners. The 3-point sharpshooters of Robertson and Joens scored 14 points each as they shot 5 of 8 from long distance. Williams added 13 points with Llanusa and Vann adding 11 points each. Liz Scott and Tot also added 9 and 8 points respectively with Tucker adding the final 5 points for the Sooners.

Vann led the effort on the boards as she pulled down 8, Liz Scott grabbed 5 and Robertson added 4 for the Sooners. The assists were led by two surprising players as Tucker had 5 and Loz Scott had 4. Joens added 4 steals to her play in the game.

The Oklahoma Sooners will take their 26-6 record into Monday nights game against UCLA (27-9) in their home court at Pauley Pavillion. Tipoff time is at 9 PM on Monday night CST.

Good luck to the Sooner Women Monday night in the #5 vs #4 matchup game in the second round of the NCAAs. Get some rest and work on the game plan on Sunday and Monday early.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

MsProudSooner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:03 pm
EMan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:23 pm I've come to grips with the Sooners having a large number of turnovers every game, but that first half was frustrating to watch. Too many unforced turnovers. But that second half was all Sooners! They pretty much dominated the last 20 minutes of that game. That was enjoyable to watch! :D
The officials finally woke up and came to the party in the second half. I haven't seen aggressive defense like that since Vic Schaeffer was an assistant at Texas* A&M.
I only got to watch the second half of the game last night due to OU Softball. But what I watched was good aggressive play by the Sooners. I was surprised at the level of play that the officials allowed in the game. At times, I think that the Sooners play well in a 'rough' game without being overly aggressive. The officials allowed that last night.

Boomer Sooner!
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:59 am
MsProudSooner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:03 pm
The officials finally woke up and came to the party in the second half. I haven't seen aggressive defense like that since Vic Schaeffer was an assistant at Texas** A&M.
I only got to watch the second half of the game last night due to OU Softball. But what I watched was good aggressive play by the Sooners. I was surprised at the level of play that the officials allowed in the game. At times, I think that the Sooners play well in a 'rough' game without being overly aggressive. The officials allowed that last night.

Boomer Sooner!
You would have been more surprised at the officials in the 1st half.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

For sure the officiating was terrible in first half. A lot of the turnovers were hand slaps that couldn’t have been clean.

Late in the game, Jennie was berating one of the officials for a good 30 seconds. And, walking off, she was walking alongside 2 officials and “communicating “ with them the entire way.