Jayda - umpire confrontation?

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TN Sooner

Jayda - umpire confrontation?

Post by TN Sooner »

Anyone know what happened bottom of 6 against northwestern - Jayda got in the box and then raised arm for time. the umpire appeared to grant it, but then followed Jayda out of the box and they had a discussion and Jayda was assessed a ball. Of course Chad McKee didn’t notice it and neither go the color ladies said anything either. I think it may have been assessed for failure to get in the box timely?

Any ideas?

Of course, she proceeds to blast a triple and then scored what turned out to be the winning run.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:46 am Anyone know what happened bottom of 6 against northwestern - Jayda got in the box and then raised arm for time. the umpire appeared to grant it, but then followed Jayda out of the box and they had a discussion and Jayda was assessed a ball. Of course Chad McKee didn’t notice it and neither go the color ladies said anything either. I think it may have been assessed for failure to get in the box timely?

Any ideas?

Of course, she proceeds to blast a triple and then scored what turned out to be the winning run.
Good question.....can't watch the game and haven't seen anyone else post about it on other sites.
But......if she was given a ball.....wouldn't that be in her favor?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I am not sure what it was about. But it was probably about Coleman wanting a time out that was not granted on the first pitch to Coleman. I thought the umpire called the first pitch a strike, but I did see the umpire signal 1-0 during the discussion. I think the pitcher might have put the ball into her glove and then took the ball out of her glove with her foot on the pitcher's plate. That would result in the ball being called with a dead pitch.

That is why both coaches were out there also talking with the umpire.

I hope that home plate umpire will go work hard on the strike zone and keeping control of the game.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:50 am
Good question.....can't watch the game and haven't seen anyone else post about it on other sites.
But......if she was given a ball.....wouldn't that be in her favor?
Good point! I knew I was missing some nuance.

Thanks for the additional commentary/speculation.