Sooner Softball Regional - OU's Pitching is Dominant - By A LOT!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Softball Regional - OU's Pitching is Dominant - By A LOT!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

With only a few exceptions, a baseball of softball game starts usually with pitching. This year the Sooners Softball pitchers have pounded that point home with unusual regularity as they have tossed 30 shutouts and 11 games with allowing only 1 run. OU only had to score 2 runs to win 41 of their 52 games this year. That is a throwback stat to the days where pitching dominated the game, over 20 years ago.

Here are some pitching numbers for the four teams in the Norman Regional.

I will start with the best in the country, Oklahoma.

ERA - 0.86
H/IP - 0.545
W+HB/IP - 0.307
K/IP - 1.222
All Bases Allowed per IP - 1.09 bases (All bases is Total Bases +W +HB.)

The Oklahoma pitching staff has actually struck out more batters per inning in 2023 than the number of bases they have allowed. Think about that. The Sooners barely average 1 base allowed per inning while they strike out almost 1.25 batters per inning.

Hofstra - They play OU in the first game of the regional.

3.51 Team ERA
Best 3 Pitchers - 3.325 ERA (Apsel, Mullin, Venturi)
Best 3 - 1.15 H/IP
Best 3 - 0.44 W+HB/IP
Best 3 - 0.64 K/IP
Best 3 - 2.13 All Bases/IP
Oklahoma last faced Hofstra in 2019. Hofstra has 3 players still on their rooster from that game with all being players not pitchers. I will note that in 2019, Grace Lyons hit her 3rd HR of her freshman season and it was a Grand Slam that was a big fly ball down the LF line that hit in a big tree down the line. Grace Green also hit her 2nd HR of her freshman year in the game. OU won 17-3.

Missouri and California meet in the other first round game on Friday following the OU-Hofstra game.

Missouri

3.15 Team ERA
Best 3 Pitchers - 2.97 ERA (Krings, Weber, Harrison)
Best 3 - 0.94 H/IP
Best 3 - 0.31 W+HB/IP
Best 3 - 0.84 K/IP
Best 3 - 1.83 All Bases/IP

OU played Missouri in 2021. The Sooners won the 2 games they played (5-2 & 11-0) in the Omni HOF Tourney in OKC. OU faced Krings in both game and scored 8 runs in 6.2 IP against her. OU aso faced Weber and scored 3 runs in 0.1 innings.

California

3.50 Team ERA
Best 3 - 3.13 ERA (Archer, Reimers, Teperson)
Best 3 - 0.96 H/IP
Best 3 - 0.56 W+HB/IP
Best 3 - 0.56 K/IP
Best 3 - 1.88 All Bases/IP

OU faced California in Hawaii in 2022 during the Alo Hawaii Tour games. OU defeated California 8-0. Oklahoma scored 6 runs in 2.0 innings against Archer and 2 runs in 2.0 innings against Teperson.

Boomer Sooner!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Boomer, '56!

The Stats Are The Stats! No lies or spin on the Facts!

OU is holding the #1 Flag at the top of the hill....To All Challengers: Let's Play the Game!

All the discussions and opinions about the seedings and brackets etc. are interesting and irrelevant to the task at hand. Now is the time to prove it or lose it!

Let's Go Sooners!!! Boomer Sooner!!!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

'56

I re read my post and did not mean to imply your wonderful stats are "irrelevant". They certainly are relevant. Please forgive my poor choice of words. I highly value and appreciate your hard work and dedication to OU Softball.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I did not even notice anything. I agree that the games still has to be played and the stats are not in the lineup.

But, thanks....