Regional Stumbles--What Seeded Teams don't make it out of Regionals???

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Regional Stumbles--What Seeded Teams don't make it out of Regionals???

Post by TropicalSooner »

Below is a reminder of the brackets.
What Seeded teams do you think are in for a surprise (or maybe not in some cases) and rude awakening to find out Sunday night they are no longer in the hunt to go to OKC??
My Guesses for upsets are:
Alabama
Texas
Oklahoma St
LSU
Utah

What do you think???

aka Crimson47
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I guess I'm not as confident as you are, though I'd love to see that many upsets!

I'd say the most likely ranked teams to not survive the Regionals would be:

Oklahoma State
Clemson
Alabama (depending on Fouts' condition - I don't think they survive Super Regionals)

I'll add, that out of all the teams in the Regionals, I'd like the Cinderella to be LIU (Long Island U) or Grand Canyon U (Phoenix) in the WCWS.

Whatever happens, it will be fun to watch.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
White River

Post by White River »

Oklahoma State
LSU
My bold prediction is South Carolina over Florida State
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Bama - with or without Fouts. They weren't that great all season with her.
Oklahoma State - maybe a little bit of rest helps Maxwell, but losing 10 of their last 12 or whatever it was is certainly some bad mojo.
:hornsburning: - just because Mike White is such a horse's @$$. Defensive miscues come back to bite them.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

An early exit by txwhorns would be great for our recruiting!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I’m just going to be honest. If a recruit’s top 2 choices are between Patty/OU and White/UT, I would rather see them go to Texas. If they something redeeming about him, I don’t want them in my team.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:56 am I’m just going to be honest. If a recruit’s top 2 choices are between Patty/OU and White/UT*, I would rather see them go to Texas*. If they something redeeming about him, I don’t want them in my team.
Well, some great player in tx could be a whorn legacy or just a huge supporter and fan of the state of tx, like Cat Osterman was.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I think OSU may make it out of the first round, but my guess is that they will face Oregon in the Super Regionals and I believe Oregon will be able to beat them (which I would like for Coach Lombardi).

I haven't watched a ton of softball, but I think the best team that OU played was Florida State and LSU might have been the second best (but I didn't watch the early games against Stanford, Duke and Northwestern but I think they are all pretty solid teams). So, I'm definitely counting FSU in the WCWS. Here are the other 8 teams I'm picking:

I actually think Clemson may be a pretty tough team for OU to beat 2x but I'm counting it a win where OU meets Stanford for the first game of the WCWS. I really wish Clemson was in a separate super regional because I actually think they may be a top 5-7 team and deserve a shot at the WCWS over Alabama and OSU. Hopefully we will smoke them and make it all moot.

1. OU
2. Utah (predicting an upset here since UCLA looks to have challenges and I was never sold that they were that good) PLUS I'm pulling for DJ Gasso and Paige Parker here :)
3. Florida State
4. Tennessee (although as much as I hate to say it Texas may be better than Tenn and make it out of this super regional - but I just can't put them here)
5. Northwestern
6. Oregon (predicting an upset here for OSU - although they could be putting things together, I still see Oregon maybe getting them in the super regionals hopefully) PLUS I'm pulling for Coach Lombardi here :)
7. Washington
8. Stanford
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Liberty beat UCLA so UCLA is eliminated
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Yep!
Don't think anyone saw that one coming. I sure didn't.

Now, that makes me wonder just a little bit.....do we see any Bruins hit the transfer portal?
Would there be any that you would be interested in?
aka Crimson47
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

How will the Bruin loss affect Maya Brady's chance for POY? Should make the selection committee at least think about that one.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

At this point, I would be shocked if POY is anyone other than Valerie Cagle. The softball world loves them a pitcher that hits and her numbers stack up very well on both sides of the equation. The only issue is the level of competition she faced putting up those numbers. But I think Clemson run thru regionals (so far, of course) has minimized this negative.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Well, Florida state is going to have to play that if necessary game, losing to South Carolina.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:30 am At this point, I would be shocked if POY is anyone other than Valerie Cagle. The softball world loves them a pitcher that hits and her numbers stack up very well on both sides of the equation. The only issue is the level of competition she faced putting up those numbers. But I think Clemson run thru regionals (so far, of course) has minimized this negative.
And right on cue, Cagle gets lit up early today. I still think she wins…
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I picked this post on another site. I have no idea if it's correct.

Day 3 of Softball Postseason, prelude to another OU titlePosted on 5/21/23 at 5:59 am
up vote7down vote5

12 teams still alive (Missouri and Kentucky eliminated), counting OU and Texas. Seems likely that 6 win regionals. Big news is UCLA, the #2 national seed goes down in two games, at home, to Grand Canyon and Liberty. That has to be the worst two game, home stretch in softball history, right?

Regional finals today

OU v Cal - Missouri eliminated, Cal must win twice. Mercy rule, early day and easy day for OU.

Clemson v Auburn - Auburn must win twice, don't see it happening.

Stanford v Florida - Florida has to win twice, and will probably muster no offense again, against a good team. That is the pattern. Stanford moves on. Stanford drilled UF earlier in the regional.

Bama v Middle Tenn - MTSU must win twice, and I see Bama taking this. Big question is whether Fouts will be available for the super regional. News story said she is day-to-day. My guess is that she will pitch in the super regional and with that, Bama has a shot to get to the CWS.

Texas v Texas A&M - A&M must win twice, but Texas is the better team.

Tenn v winner of Indiana/Louisville - I think rain held up this regional. Doesn't matter, Vols are rolling.

FSU v SoCar - SoCar must win twice. This one is over. FSU will win. 11am start, FSU is smart. Start early, end early, get some rest and watch the remaining games on TV.

Georgia v Va Tech - Va Tech must win twice. Won't happen.

Arky v Oregon - Arky lost at home, now has to win twice on Sunday. It's possible, not likely though. Oregon is playing well.

LSU v Louisiana - LSU will win.

Utah v Ole Miss - Ole Miss must win twice, and I'm not seeing that.

Likely regional champs at this point:

#1 OU
#16 Clemson
#9 Stanford
#8 Duke
#5 Bama
#12 Northwestern
#13 Texas
#4 Tennessee
#3 FSU
#14 Georgia
UNR Oregon
#6 Ok St
#7 Washington
#10 LSU
#15 Utah
UNR San Diego St.

I don't know if the supers will match winner of #1 overall seed regional versus winner of the #16 overall seed regional, and so on, or if they re-seed with #16 traveling to #1 and so forth.

Not sure it will matter. OU is winning this thing, again. As everyone knows. Here come the OU fans, "Anything can happen, man. It's not over till it's over."

Nah, it's over, but we'll get a few more good games in the post season.