Norman Regionals 2023 -- What I See in Our Opponents==Mizzou // Cal

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Norman Regionals 2023 -- What I See in Our Opponents==Mizzou // Cal

Post by TropicalSooner »

The first rounds of games in our Regional group went as expected for me. In the second game, the Tigers prevailed over Cal 5-1. I actually thought Cal would put up more of a fight, but I did think MO would get the win.
So in todays Rounds of games, the Sooners face the Tigers at 2pm CDT, and Hofstra goes against Cal in an elimination game....around 4:30-5pm.

Missouri finished in last place in the SEC and had to battle with Miss St in a play-in game to even make the SEC tournament this year. They did win over Miss St and then proceeded to lose the first game in the Tournament. Missouri is 35-24 overall and 7-17 in the SEC. The Tigers are mostly a Junior/Sophomore team so they've played a lot of ball. They don't make a whole lot of mistakes, only 35 errors on the year for .977 fld %. But they just don't hit very well. As of May 10th, only two batters hit over .300: CF Alex Honnold at .414, and SS Jenna Laird at .340. Pitch to those two to just keep the ball in play and the rest of the team will struggle. They've walked 189 times, but they've struck out a whopping 301 times. Their pitching staff is anchored by Junior Laurin Krings 12-11 2.62 era (as of 5/10). They do have 7 pitchers on staff but only regularly use Krings, Freshman Cierra Harrison 8-2 2.33 era, and Senior Jordan Weber 8-9 3.94 era. Since Krings pitched yesterday, I'm expecting Harrison to get the call today, although we may see several in the circle before the day is out.

As for Cal...they actually finished 6th out of 9 in the PAC12 this season. They actually have that one signature win over UCLA 8-0 in 5 innings, early in the season, but then they lost the next game 10-1 in 6. For the season, they are 33-20-1 and in conf play they were 9-14-1. The Bears do have 4 hitters in their lineup hitting over .300 (as of 5/11) but their over all team BA is .295. They've walked 161 times and struck out 237 times. Their fielding is what gets them in trouble. They've had 66 errors of a .958 fld % on the year. Pitchers are usually Anna Reimers 9-2 & 2.82 era, Annabel Teperson 10-5 & 3.15 era, Haylei Archer 9-9 & 3.35 era, and Sona Halajian 4-3 & 5.58. Reimers was listed to start the game yesterday, but was replaced by Teperson. Teperson and Halajian split the pitching duties and Reimer came in for the last batter of the game. Today they will probably go with Reimers in their elimination with Hofstra. I included Cal today just in case they magically win a couple of games and wind up facing us tomorrow.

All in all, we should control the game with Missouri. I'm thinking Bahl gets the call today. Then we'll see how the other three fight it out to climb into the final game tomorrow.

Here's my lineup for today:

CF Coleman
2B Jennings
DP Lee
C Hansen
3B Brito
SS Lyons
1B Sanders
LF Boone
RF Torres

P Bahl

Boomer!!