OU Women's Tennis: Sleeth and Corley Sisters at the NCAA Tourney

OUBeliever56A

OU Women's Tennis: Sleeth and Corley Sisters at the NCAA Tourney

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Three members of the Women's Tennis Team are playing this week at the NCAA Singles and Doubles Tournament. Layne Sleeth and Ivana and Carmen Corley will start play on May 22nd in Singles and May 23rd in Doubles.

The Corley Sisters (Ivana and Carmen) seeded as the #4 Doubles Team, play their first round match in the round of 32 today against Sofia Johnson/Tatsiana Sasnouskaya, Old Dominion. The bracket I found does not have a time for the match.

Layne Sleeth played #61 Julie Adams of Virginia in singles in the 1st round of play on Monday at 9 AM. Sleeth was victorious in her match 6-2, 6-3 and advanced to the round of 32. Sleeth will play again today against Tatsiana Sasnouskaya, Old Dominion as she defeated Alana Smith, NC State 6-4, 6-4. The bracket I found does not have a time for the match. Congratulations to Ms. Sleeth.

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Layne Sleeth has won again to advance to the round of 16 on Wednesday. this time Layne Sleeth defeated No. 33 Tatsiana Sasnouskaya (Old Dominion) 6-2, 6-4!

Boomer Sooner!

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

By making the Round of 16, Layne Sleeth becomes an All-American in Women's Tennis.

Boomer Sooner!

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Tuesday's match for the Corley Sisters (Ivana and Carmen) was originally delayed due to weather. I found that on the OU Women's Tennis Twitter account. Then I was able to find this post on the same account.

The Corley Sisters won the 1st set 6-3! Things were looking very good for the Corley Sisters.

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Then later in the day, there was this post on the twitter account for OU Women's Tennis.

No conclusion for the Tuesday's Match, just a 'Forever Grateful" post from the Corley Family, Ivana and Carmen.

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

So I kept digging. I found this via the Old Dominion Women's Tennis Twitter account.

It looks like that the Sooners' Corley Sisters were up 6-3, 4-2 and then they lost the last four games of the 2nd set which forced the '3rd set' tie-breaker. The tie-breaker went into overtime with the old Dominion team of Tatsiana Sasnouskaya and Sofia Johnson defeated fourth-seeded Ivana and Carmen Corley of Oklahoma 3-6, 6-4, 12-10 in a round of 32 match.

This has to be a big blow to drop their match in that fashion. The Corley Sisters were in firm control of the match with a set won and a break in their favor (at least) in the second set. It is an unfortunate way for the career of the double team of Ivana and Carmen Corley to end as Sooners.

I am sure that the OU Women's Tennis community is sad to see this result.

https://odusports.com/news/2023/5/23/wo ... round.aspx
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Then, later this morning I found this staff writers article about Sleeth and the Corley Sisters matches on Tuesday.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/5/23 ... to-advance

I am glad that the OU sports department finally released something about the Tuesday action for the NCAA Singles and Doubles Tourney.

Layne Sleeth will play today on Tuesday in the round of 16 to face Duke's Chloe Beck. Beck was the original #6 seed in the Singles Bracket. Match time will be announced at a later time.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Layne Sleeth won her match in 3 sets. 3-6, 7-6, and 7-6. Sleeth made a great comeback in the 3rd set and then won the tiebreaker 7-2 I think.

Congrats to Ms. Sleeth. On to the round of 8!

From what has been posted elsewhere, this is the equals the deepest NCAA singles run ever by a Sooner, man or woman. Sooner Alex Ghilea made the men’s quarters in 2017, so Layne has matched that.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the staff wrtiers article about Layne Sleeth's win today in the round of 16 matches.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/5/24 ... rterfinals

Sleeth will return to the court tomorrow and face Stanford's Angelica Blake . Match time will be announced at a later time.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Layne Sleeth to the singles semifinals, winning 7-6, 6-4 over Angelica Blake of Stanford. Moving up now through some fast company.

This is a great run by Layne Sleeth! Ms. Sleeth is the first Sooner Tennis Player to make it to the NCAA Semi-Final Round of Tennis.

Great Job! Boomer Sooner!

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the staff writers article about Layne Sleeth's win today (Friday) at the NCAA Singles Tourney. The win places Sleeth in the finals tomorrow for the Singles Championship.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/5/26 ... itle-match

No. 50 Sleeth faced No. 26 Amelia Rajecki of NC State in the semifinals Friday and pulled off another upset by grabbing the 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 win to advance. With the win, Sleeth becomes the first Sooner to reach the title match in program history.

Sleeth will return to the court tomorrow and face No. 14 Fangran Tian (UCLA) at 9 a.m. CT.

I am wishing Ms. Sleeth the best of luck and the very best of play tomorrow as she tries to win a Single individual title on Saturday.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I think Layne Sleeth deserves her own post instead of adding it to the previous thread detaling her amazing run of five straight wins to adavace to the NCAA Finals Match in the Singles Tourney. While not successful in the finals, Sleeth became the first Sooner Tennis player to reach the single final in the history of the program. Layne Sleeth fell to No. 14 Fangran Tian of UCLA 6-4, 6-2 on Saturday morning to close her historic run in the NCAA Single.

Congrats to her in every way for her standout performance this week in the individual singles competition. Hold up that national runner-up trophy with pride! Every day!

Boomer Sooner!