Transfers (Now) versus Recruits (Now and Later)

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
1KCSoonerFan

Transfers (Now) versus Recruits (Now and Later)

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Did the transfer portal from last year cost OU the future benefits of Erickson and Nugent for next year?

Needless to say, if either Erickson or Nugent had decided to stay, OU would be solid at catcher going into '24 and '25, IMO.

Though I am not worried about OU fielding a great team next year, a SUDDEN "weakness" appeared at the end of this year with pitching and catching depth...arguably the most important two positions in the game. I was caught totally off guard by this set of events to be honest.

I'm not surprised a player or two would move on, but it feels to me OU took three torpedoes (player transfers) where it hurts the most- to the pitching and catching depth....and from top shelf talent for the future to boot. We were cruising....then got hit in the engine room and have to retool some things.

It is a long term vs short term investment debate for me. Naturally, some of both short and long term thinking is wise. Would we have won a Natty anyway if Erickson and Nugent got enough reps to keep them around; and Sanders, Lee, and Torres got less PT? No way to tell. Would we have lost one more game or two but still won the Natty and kept our future stars on the team? No way to tell.

Some make the argument that because OU won the Natty, all the right moves MUST have been made. I'm not really questioning that logic, per se, though I don't fully agree with it either. There is a fallacy in there somewhere.

As the revelations of this year's transfer portal come into view in the coming week or weeks, I am just reflecting on my feelings about last year's choices....and did they cost us some choices/futures for next year.

Hindsight is not 20-20 for the Future.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:48 pm Did the transfer portal from last year cost OU the future benefits of Erickson and Nugent for next year?

Needless to say, if either Erickson or Nugent had decided to stay, OU would be solid at catcher going into '24 and '25, IMO.

Though I am not worried about OU fielding a great team next year, a SUDDEN "weakness" appeared at the end of this year with pitching and catching depth...arguably the most important two positions in the game. I was caught totally off guard by this set of events to be honest.

I'm not surprised a player or two would move on, but it feels to me OU took three torpedoes (player transfers) where it hurts the most- to the pitching and catching depth....and from top shelf talent for the future to boot. We were cruising....then got hit in the engine room and have to retool some things.

It is a long term vs short term investment debate for me. Naturally, some of both short and long term thinking is wise. Would we have won a Natty anyway if Erickson and Nugent got enough reps to keep them around; and Sanders, Lee, and Torres got less PT? No way to tell. Would we have lost one more game or two but still won the Natty and kept our future stars on the team? No way to tell.

Some make the argument that because OU won the Natty, all the right moves MUST have been made. I'm not really questioning that logic, per se, though I don't fully agree with it either. There is a fallacy in there somewhere.

As the revelations of this year's transfer portal come into view in the coming week or weeks, I am just reflecting on my feelings about last year's choices....and did they cost us some choices/futures for next year.

Hindsight is not 20-20 for the Future.
I agree with this assessment. It does seem that the transfer portal is not as strong this year as last. We don't have a number of All-Americans clamoring to come to OU. So it may be for the sake of the future, to roll the dice next season, go for the natty with the great core of players we have, rely on the incoming freshman to contribute, and maybe, just maybe, bring in that one All-American pitcher. If that happened, I'd say we had a good chance for the ----peat.
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

Erickson didn't leave bc of playing time so none of that matters with her. Nugent left bc Hansen came back for her last covid season so either ou would have had Nugent only or Hansen only. Erickson most likely was leaving anyway and it has nothing to do with playing time or the culture at ou.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Sooneryankee13 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:39 pm Erickson didn't leave bc of playing time so none of that matters with her. Nugent left bc Hansen came back for her last covid season so either ou would have had Nugent only or Hansen only. Erickson most likely was leaving anyway and it has nothing to do with playing time or the culture at ou.
I'll bite. Why did Erickson leave?
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: When a talented player transfers, there are always alot of questions. Storako on a pod cast interview said she got critized alot by Michigan fans and got questioned alot. As she stated a player always has their reasons and sometimes it is nothing that people kmow nothing about. As Patty has stated in the past she gets paid to field the best team possible and to win championships. Patty and the whole team was under emense pressure this year to get the 3 peat and to continue the winning streak. Patty had her deepest team ever and had the impossible task of trying to keep everyone happy which she stated she couldnt do. We wont know what the roster will totally look like until we see transfers in. I think with returning starters and incoming freshman our offense will be fine.
If the freshman are as good as advertised there will be alot of competition for playing time. As far as shortstop is concerned, it is a possibilty that Jennings moves there, but lets not forget about Avery Hodge. She showeda little pop in her bat when she hit the ball to the wall on that one at bat after the defense player her in so close. If she can do that contantly, she will be very hard to defend.
Patty will get us a backup catcher. Somebody memtioned Torres has caught before and did good. Remember a few years back when we were short handed at catcher, one her talented players at another position played some catcher and after a game or 2 she got comfortable with it and did a fine job.
Patty will get someone whether it be Torres or a transfer.
The biggest question will be the pitching staff. Erin Miller thinks that Deal could be one if the best pitchers in the country over the next couple of years. May improved over last year and pitched very well but as seems to be better in 4 or 5 innings or less. We dont know how Geurin will do. Hopefully she can give some meaingfull innings.
My gut feeling is that we get Vawter. If we do, then the Sooners could be set for amother title run despite the tranfer losses.
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

inconnu wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:12 pm
Sooneryankee13 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:39 pm Erickson didn't leave bc of playing time so none of that matters with her. Nugent left bc Hansen came back for her last covid season so either ou would have had Nugent only or Hansen only. Erickson most likely was leaving anyway and it has nothing to do with playing time or the culture at ou.
That's her business to tell I just know from people close to the situation that it wasn't playing time and it's not the culture. Remember jocy is an LDS kid all of her siblings played at byu and one transfered to Utah st . I'm pretty sure she ends up at one of the utah schools or maybe Arizona or asu which is close to home
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Sooneryankee13 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:56 pm
That's her business to tell I just know from people close to the situation that it wasn't playing time and it's not the culture. Remember jocy is an LDS kid all of her siblings played at byu and one transfered to Utah st . I'm pretty sure she ends up at one of the utah schools or maybe Arizona or asu which is close to home
So if I am reading your posts correctly, you are saying there is no chance she remains with OU, and that you don't know where she might be going, and won't say why she's really leaving. Is my understanding accurate?

I ask, because I'm not at all convinced that she won't return to OU before the season starts, but then again, that's just my opinion, I have no inside information.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:44 am
Sooneryankee13 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:56 pm

So if I am reading your posts correctly, you are saying there is no chance she remains with OU, and that you don't know where she might be going, and won't say why she's really leaving. Is my understanding accurate?

I ask, because I'm not at all convinced that she won't return to OU before the season starts, but then again, that's just my opinion, I have no inside information.
I was told she wasn't coming back. Now that could be wrong. And I hope she does come back. And was also told look for her to end up at one of those 5 schools. And that it wasn't playing time or the culture. It's from people i trust so I believe them.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Patty's job it to win games and win championships, which means bring in the best players and field the best team possible. You will lose good players to the portal, just remember they are good but not good enough to start at OU yet. Nugent and Erickson are highly recruited, but they can be replaced by other highly recruited HS or portal players. I feel losing their potential for the next a few years is acceptable if it means getting better players on the field and win now. The real big loss IMO is Bahl, and she is kind not replaceable from HS or portal, but OU is probably the only team in the nation that can absorb a loss like that and keep chugging along.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

oufanforever wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:34 pm Patty's job it to win games and win championships, which means bring in the best players and field the best team possible. You will lose good players to the portal, just remember they are good but not good enough to start at OU yet. Nugent and Erickson are highly recruited, but they can be replaced by other highly recruited HS or portal players. I feel losing their potential for the next a few years is acceptable if it means getting better players on the field and win now. The real big loss IMO is Bahl, and she is kind not replaceable from HS or portal, but OU is probably the only team in the nation that can absorb a loss like that and keep chugging along.
Yep--agreed.
aka Crimson47