April 2023 OU Softball Showcase - This list is a Talented Group!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

April 2023 OU Softball Showcase - This list is a Talented Group!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The OU Softball Showcase list of participants in April of 2023 at Marita Hynes Field for the Sooners was captured by 'SoonerSB98' with a picture of the rotations list for the live scrimmage portion of the Showcase. Thanks to him. I remember that weekend on Sunday when these young ladies walked out of the gates after the showcase. Lots of very tall, athletic looking ladies.

I found this list in the 2025 Recruits folder about 45 days ago. I have been fascinated by the list ever since. I finally have had time to compile the info about the players and want to provide that info to the OU Softball fans here.

A couple of notes, first. I have referenced the Softball America (SA) and the Extra Innings Softball (EIS) rankings for each player as they are available.

All SA rankings are just as they appear as they select one player for each spot in the Top 100 or 50 players. SA has released their Top 100 players for 2023 and 2024 which are referenced. SA has only released their Top 50 players for 2025. they have not released rankings for the class of 2026 or 2027.

All EIS rankings are not as they appear. EIS ranks multiple players at each spot except for the #1 spot in 2023, 2024, 2025. For example, the Top 100 players in the EIS 2023 rankings is listed in the players ranked 1 - 30 spots in their rankings. In 2024, the Top 100 is listed in their 1 - 18 spots. In 2025, it was their 1-29 spots. For the 2027 class, their 1 - 32 spots include the Top 100 players. So, I have provided a reference for these players that includes the # of total players. But in a new pattern, in 2026 they are listed the Top 100 players with no ties. (Yeah!)

Here we go with what I have found: (Top 100 players in each class are in bold)
27C65406-7DBE-4F7F-B059-89BAF8E2ED28.jpeg
27C65406-7DBE-4F7F-B059-89BAF8E2ED28.jpeg (378.03 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Team #1:
1. Minor OF – This is Kia Minor – Class of 2025 - OC Batbusters – SA #23 Prospect, EIS T-4 (Top 14) Prospect
2. Hicks C – This is Corri Hicks – 2024 Commit to OU from Firecrackers Brashear - SA #39 Prospect, EIS T-7 (Top 28) Prospect
3. McDaniel SS – This is Lexi McDaniel - Class of 2025 – Demarini Aces 25 Fastpitch – SA #14 Prospect, EIS T-5 (Top 19) Prospect
4. Tuua P/OU – This is Ayla Tuua - Class of 2026 - BCS Bengals 16U – SA x, EIS #89 Prospect
5. Austin OF – This is Jayelle Austin - Class of 2025 – Texas Elite Knight – SA not ranked, EIS T-28 (Top 138) Prospect
6. Aumua 1B/OF – This is Delaney Aumua - Class of 2025 – Lady Magic – SA #11 Prospect, EIS T-4 (Top 14) Prospect
7. Valentine 2B/SS – This is Peyton Valentine - Class of 2026 – Arizona Storm – SA x, EIS #84 Prospect
8. Snyder SS – This is Siena Snyder - Class of 2025 – Top Gun 15 National – SA not ranked, EIS T-21 (Top 100) Prospect
9. Gallo OF – This is Haley Gallo, I think - Class of 2025 – Tulsa Elite National – SA not ranked, EIS T-128 (over 500th) Prospect
10. Garrett C – This is Kynli Garrett, I think – Class of 2027 – Fletcher, OK – SA x, EIS T-260 (over 700th) Prospect
11. Maxwell P/1B – This is Morgan Maxwell, I think - Class of 2027 – Birmingham Thunderbolts – SA x, EIS T-15 (Top 45) Prospect
12. Jenson LHP/1B – I think this is Alexis Jensen - Class of 2025 – Nebraska Gold 15U – SA and EIS - Unranked – Her Perfect Game profile says she is throwing 67 – She will be noticed soon.
13. Harrison RHP/1B – I think this is Pressley Harrison – Class of 2025 – GA Bombers – SA #6, EIS T-4 (Top 14) Prospect
14. Romero RHP/1B – This is probably Arrianna Romero - Class of 2027 – Athletics Mercado Bustamante – SA x, EIS #1 Prospect

Team #2:
1. Roman OF – This is Ana Roman – Class of 2025 – Tennessee Mojo – Danley – SA #17, EIS T-2 (Top 4) Prospect
2. Wells C – This is Kendall Wells – Class of 2025 – GA Impact – SA #12, EIS T-3 (Top 9) Prospect
3. McKay SS – This is Kadey Lee McKay - 2024 Commit to OU from the Epic National 18U – Smith – SA not ranked, EIS T-18 (Top 100) Prospect
4. Bordi P – This is Sophia Bordi – Class of 2025 – OC Batbusters – SA #3, EIS T-5 (Top 19) Prospect
5. Heller SS – This is probably Marin Heller – Class of 2025 – Iowa Premier 16U – SA not ranked, EIS T-204 (Over 900) Prospect
6. Acevedo SS – This is Melody Acevedo – Class of 2025 – Wildcats WKT – SA #30, EIS T8 (Top 34) Prospect
7. Ramsey 2B – This is probably Lindsey Ramsey – Class of 2025 – Select Fastpitch – SA not ranked, EIS (Ranked in 2021 as T-249)
8. Knight C/3B – Class of 2026 – This is probably Katelynn Knight – Class of 2026 – Oklahoma Athletics – SA x, EIS #88 Prospect. (This is Paige Knight’s (21 OU Player) sister.)
9. Lincoln SS/C/UT – This is probably Addysen Lincoln – Class of 2027 – Iowa Premier National 14U – SA x, EIS not ranked
10. Hurley P – I think this is Shea Hurley. Class of 2025 – Massachusetts – I can’t find a ranking for her, but she has over 300 Ks in her first two years of high school.
11. Cavanaugh – This is Piper Cavanaugh – Class of 2026 – Beverly Bandits – SA x, EIS #14 Prospect
12. Timmerman P – I think this is Saylor Timmerman – Class of 2025 – Wisconsin - I can’t find a ranking for her.
13. Plumblee LHP – I think this is Kailey Plumblee – Class of 2025 – Fury Platinum – Tennessee – I can’t find a ranking for her.

Team #3:
1. Hutchins C – I think this is Goose Hutchens. – Class of 2027 – Iowa Premier – Dickel (Wagoner, OK) – SA x, EIS #2 Prospect
2. Barker SS – This is Sydney Barker – 2024 Commit to OU - LTG – Henderson/Lively – SA #8, EIS T-8 (Top 34) Recruit
3. Jones SS – This is Zaliyah Jones – Class of 2027 – Power Surge – Mujica – SA x, EIS T-19 (Top 60) Prospect
4. Parker DP – This is Ella Parker - 2023 Commit to OU – OC Batbusters – Stith – SA #15, EIS T-3 (Top 5) Prospect
5. Helton OF – This is Chaney Helton – 2024 Commit to OU – Iowa Premier 18U – National – SA not ranked, EIS T-38 (Top 270) Recruit * I would bet that Helton is ranked much higher in the next release of 2024 recruits due to her excellent play in the summer of 2023.
6. Woody 3B (MIF) – This is probably Kinzie Woody – Class of 2025 – St. Louis Chaos 16U – SA not ranked, EIS T-13 (Top 59) Prospect
7. Nichols SS – This is Samantha Nichols – Class of 2027 – Sorcerer 14U – Gables/Rodriguez – SA x, EIS T-19 (Top 54) Prospect
8. Harrington C – This is Macartney Harrington – Class of 2026 – Birmingham Thunderbolts – SA x, EIS #33 Prospect
9. Palumbo C – I can not find this player at all.
10. Rackley P – This is Addie Rackley – Class of 2027 – Georgia Impact – Taylor – SA x, EIS T-7 (Top 13) Prospect
11. Palumbo P – I can not find this player at all.
12. Herber P – This is Boo Herber – Class of 2026 – Birmingham Thunderbolts – SA x, EIS #67 (Top 95) Prospect
13. Laird P – This is Avery Laird, Class of 2026 – Athletics National Madden – SA x, EIS not ranked in the Top 100.
14. Wetherington P - I can not find this player at all.

The list includes 26 Top 100 players out of 41 players listed at the OU Showcase. Keep in mind that the majority of Top 100 players are listed in both sets of rankings when SA and EIS both provide rankings. Probably only about 20 players are specific to just one ranking between the two of them. So there are about 120 players in the "TOP 100".

To have 26 players at this Showcase out of five seasons of the Top 120 players in the country is impressive to me.

Something else is very evident in this Showcase. The recruiting has truly become nationwide. I can also see players from organizations where OU commits have come from like Iowa Premier teams where Audrey Lowry 2024 commit plays.)

The OU Showcase in June of this summer had many of these same players in attendance. I wish I would have had a list like this for that Showcase.

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Wow! Great work 56!

Is arrianna Romero youngest Sydney/Sierra Sister? I was thinking there was one more softball (sister) Romero.

Also, a baseball (brother) prospect too, I think?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I do not think so. The youngest Romero is Sophia Romero that is in the 2024 class I think. She is going to Boise State this fall.

You are right about the brother. I think he was signed by a MLB team. He got a good bonus to sign and I think it helped with their Dad's illness.

I know at one time they had a go-fund-me account to help w the expenses.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The Rosters posted above were my primary source for researching the '25 prospects. Also, I saw a twitter post that someone posted up on another site that referenced the Camp that Gasso was having out in Calif the last day of the Alliance Championships and I commented that I wish I had a list of attendees at that camp. The poster came back with a list of names he dug up that were there. Here is that list:

" Laila Dean, Payton Tamborra, Ayla Tuua, MaTaia Lawson, Torynn Slaughter, Mia Johnson, Ana Cisek, Peyton Valentine, Boo Herber, Avery Layton, Berkley Zache, Camryn Fisher, Maya Melendez, Siena Snyder, Shayla Bahr, Nina Carone, Addison Rackley, Hannah Wells, Victoria Moten, Sophia Bordi, Mia Clemmer, Harlie Chism, Libby Jacques, Madilynn George, Kya Yoakum, Bella Maria, Priscilla Iniguez, Bella Dzialo, Kamistyn "Kami" Culley, and my personal favorite 2027 prospect Braylee Spence. "

Berkley Zache is on this list which prompted me to dig deeper into her stats. The one thing I like about her is along with the high SO's, she had very few BB's also. I've read Zache is 6'1".
Tuua, Valentine, Rackley, Wells, and Bordi were all on the list posted for the Norman Camp as well. His comment about Spence was his comment, not mine.

All this and a couple of "Top 20 or Top 25 HS Softball Players around the Country" articles I found on general searches gave me add'l info.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Sone of those are repeats from Norman. I will go thru this list on Thursday.

Zache does have good K numbers. The pitchers on the list are the best of the best.
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

I have been following Goose Hutchins for several years. Incredible 3rd base, catcher, overall athlete. She is one of the best players ever in Oklahoma softball!!! A big time home run hitter who will break records.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Having this kind of talent hanging around OU Camps and Events is exciting. I hope we can really cash in on the best of the best - especially the pitchers!
Any early premonitions about any of these players (other than the ones already coming to OU?)
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:55 pm The Rosters posted above were my primary source for researching the '25 prospects. Also, I saw a twitter post that someone posted up on another site that referenced the Camp that Gasso was having out in Calif the last day of the Alliance Championships and I commented that I wish I had a list of attendees at that camp. The poster came back with a list of names he dug up that were there. Here is that list:

" Laila Dean, Payton Tamborra, Ayla Tuua, MaTaia Lawson, Torynn Slaughter, Mia Johnson, Ana Cisek, Peyton Valentine, Boo Herber, Avery Layton, Berkley Zache, Camryn Fisher, Maya Melendez, Siena Snyder, Shayla Bahr, Nina Carone, Addison Rackley, Hannah Wells, Victoria Moten, Sophia Bordi, Mia Clemmer, Harlie Chism, Libby Jacques, Madilynn George, Kya Yoakum, Bella Maria, Priscilla Iniguez, Bella Dzialo, Kamistyn "Kami" Culley, and my personal favorite 2027 prospect Braylee Spence. "

Berkley Zache is on this list which prompted me to dig deeper into her stats. The one thing I like about her is along with the high SO's, she had very few BB's also. I've read Zache is 6'1".
Tuua, Valentine, Rackley, Wells, and Bordi were all on the list posted for the Norman Camp as well. His comment about Spence was his comment, not mine.

All this and a couple of "Top 20 or Top 25 HS Softball Players around the Country" articles I found on general searches gave me add'l info.
I committed this week to looking up all the players from the post by "TropicalSooner'. Here is the results.
(I have underlined higher ranked players.)

Priscilla Iniguez - 3B/C/1B Firecrackers So Cal - Premier 16U

MaTaia Lawson - MIF SA 13, EIS T 5 (Top 19) - Iowa Premier National
Avery Layton - P/1B Rossville High School - Extreme Elite 18u National
Camryn Fisher - P EIS T-47 - Newtown Rock Gold – Garvey
Siena Snyder - SS/MIF EIS T-21 - Top Gun 15 National
Victoria Moten - RHP/OF Fairhope, AL
Madilynn George - 1B/RF/UT Texas Blaze
Libby Jacques - OF/1B EIS - 352 - Oklahome Athletics - Madden/Clemmer
Hannah Wells RHP/UT - SA #1, EIS T-4 (Top 14) - Oklahoma Athletics National – Madden/Clemmer
Sophia Bordi - RHP/UT - SA #3, EIS T-5 (Top 19) - OC Batbusters Stith
Harlie Chism - SS - EIS T-#26 - Oklahoma Athletics National – Madden/Clemmer

Laila Dean - MIF, OF - Cali Not ranked in EIS Top 100 - Sorcerers
Torynn Slaughter C/OF EIS - T-31 (2021) L/L, OC Batbusters Stith 18u, Pinnacle HS, USA 15u Womans National Team 2023
Mia Johnson - 3B/IF T-43— Atlanta Vipers – Tamborra
Ana Cisek - MIF Slapper Not ranked in EIS Top 100 - Sparks Premier 16u Harvey
Shayla Bahr - MIF/OF EIS T-10 (Top 19) - Georgia Impact – Taylor
Bella Maria - OF/1B EIS T-12 (Top 22) - Intensity 16U - BOD
Bella Dzialo 2026 Player
Kamistyn "Kami" Culley - 3B/1B/OF 5’8 - Glenpool, OK
Mia Clemmer - C/IF EIS T-22, Oklahoma Athletics – Madden/Clemmer
Ayla Tuua - P/OF - EIS #89 = BSC Bengals 16U – Briggs
Peyton Valentine - SS - EIS #84 = Arizona Storm National 16U – Appel
Boo Herber - P - EIS #67 = Birmingham Thunderbolts Premier – Thompson
Addison Rackley - P/UT - EIS #7 = Georgia Impact – Taylor

Kya Yoakum - 3B/2B Select FP - Iberia, MO
Payton Tamborra - P/1B T-10—Payton Tamborra - Atlanta Vipers 08 – Tamborra
Berkley Zache - P/1B SA- 2, EIS-T-5 (top 19)
Zache was nearly untouchable in the circle for Saint Joseph, as she had a 0.13 ERA over 107.2 innings with 251 strikeouts. She tossed two no-hitters and a perfect game. Zache was just as lethal on offense, hitting for a .531 average on 51 hits with 46 RBIs and nine long balls. She was named a 4A First-Team All-State selection.
Braylee Spence ('TropicalSooner's personal favorite 2027 prospect) - P - T-3, P, Georgia Impact 08 – Taylor - Kingston, OK
Braylee wants the ball in her hand anytime her Kip Taylor-led Impact team is in a big game and that is when she is at her best.  Whenever she has been given the ball on the biggest stages, she has stepped up and dominated the competition. Braylee won 32 games for Impact Taylor last year pitching 233 innings and finished with 312 strikeouts, a 1.58 ERA and a 0.920 WHIP which were tops in all categories for her travel ball team. Opponents had just a .175 batting average against and for her Lone Grove (Ga.) Junior High team last fall, she pitched 48 innings, had 102 K’s and allowed just one earned run all season. In 2023, Braylee is off to a stellar start again with her travel ball team producing a 6-0 record with 48 K’s and a .103 batting average against and this against only 16U and 18U competition. Adds Coach Taylor: “Her ability to locate a tight-spinning rise ball on three planes, to go with a curve and changeup, make it extremely difficult for hitters to square up her pitches. It’s been super impressive how this 2027 has performed against the competition we face each tournament.”

Maya Melendez - RHP/3B - R/R

???
Nina Carone
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:23 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:55 pm The Rosters posted above were my primary source for researching the '25 prospects. Also, I saw a twitter post that someone posted up on another site that referenced the Camp that Gasso was having out in Calif the last day of the Alliance Championships and I commented that I wish I had a list of attendees at that camp. The poster came back with a list of names he dug up that were there. Here is that list:

I committed this week to looking up all the players from the post by "TropicalSooner'. Here is the results.
(I have underlined higher ranked players.)

Kya Yoakum - 3B/2B Select FP - Iberia, MO
Payton Tamborra - P/1B T-10—Payton Tamborra - Atlanta Vipers 08 – Tamborra
Berkley Zache - P/1B SA- 2, EIS-T-5 (top 19)
Zache was nearly untouchable in the circle for Saint Joseph, as she had a 0.13 ERA over 107.2 innings with 251 strikeouts. She tossed two no-hitters and a perfect game. Zache was just as lethal on offense, hitting for a .531 average on 51 hits with 46 RBIs and nine long balls. She was named a 4A First-Team All-State selection.
Braylee Spence ('TropicalSooner's personal favorite 2027 prospect) - P - T-3, P, Georgia Impact 08 – Taylor - Kingston, OK
Braylee wants the ball in her hand anytime her Kip Taylor-led Impact team is in a big game and that is when she is at her best.  Whenever she has been given the ball on the biggest stages, she has stepped up and dominated the competition. Braylee won 32 games for Impact Taylor last year pitching 233 innings and finished with 312 strikeouts, a 1.58 ERA and a 0.920 WHIP which were tops in all categories for her travel ball team. Opponents had just a .175 batting average against and for her Lone Grove (Ga.) Junior High team last fall, she pitched 48 innings, had 102 K’s and allowed just one earned run all season. In 2023, Braylee is off to a stellar start again with her travel ball team producing a 6-0 record with 48 K’s and a .103 batting average against and this against only 16U and 18U competition. Adds Coach Taylor: “Her ability to locate a tight-spinning rise ball on three planes, to go with a curve and changeup, make it extremely difficult for hitters to square up her pitches. It’s been super impressive how this 2027 has performed against the competition we face each tournament.”

Thank you so much for all the detailed information about the players on the list I copied from another poster. You have a lot of publications at your disposal and you provide a lot of information that is so appreciated.

I apologize if I mislead (and I guess I did), but just to clarify, Braylee Spence was the poster that shared his information with me--his favorite, not mine. (I guess in time, she could become one of mine though.)

And, I believe Zache (who is becoming one of my favorites) is a class of 2025 grad. In some published reports, she's being referred to the second best pitcher in Indiana after Keegan Rothrock.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I guess I read between too many line about Spence.