No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26

OU Guy

2023 Season Prediction Poll

Post by OU Guy »

Lets get a pulse of season. I am high on season as we have improved every single area. At qb we have a returning starter. He was limited in run option due to no viable backup and this year we have a 5*+ backup who from all accounts is doing great in camp. I like our new wr coach and think we have many options there. Stogner is back too.

Our oline should be improved, people don’t realize the adjustments you have to make for new OC and all the nuances of each play call. Do you zig or zag. It all matters in how you block for both run and pass. It can take time to learn the playbook and sometimes people forget how important that is when installing a new playbook like we did last year. And with Sawchcuk and several others in the backfield we will have a potent running game. That will open up passing options. I think we use the midfield more for passing as well. Our kickers seem solid too.

On defense the same thing applies. We added depth and time. I say time because it takes time to learn BV defense. Last year was a whirlwind for BV. Takes over and has to go on road to save recruiting class. Hire a staff. Work with school on his program installation like SOUL. Create a lot of public good will. Create a new culture. It was basically so much newness and not enough time to really tune in to all the little things that make a football season work. This year has been normal and time for players to adjust to changes and system and schemes. We have improved every area of defense.

Then I look at last years record and even with all the turnoil and learning curve - we finished 6-7 - but if we flip the 4 games lost by 3 points into wins - we end up 10-3. That tells me we have some talent but missed out on those smaller details I mentioned earlier. But if we had talent and added a lot more talent - then with better coaching and more prep time we should have a great season.

Its our last year in B12 and we have a lot to prove and want to go out with a bang. We will have to overcome refs who have it out for us and even tx, since we’re leaving. But good teams overcome that mostly. Our goal needs to be get way ahead and let our depth get some playing time. Especially Jackson Arnold. He’s our future as we head to SEC.

I look for more running by offense which will help the defense. I look for more turnovers by our D. Better clock management.

I selected 11 wins. And we’ll be in the conf title game. Win that to go 12-1 and we have a punchers chance of playoffs. Since SEC canx our GA game maybe we meet them in playoffs, that would be ironic.
In Brent I Trust :D
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Thanks for the poll. I am trying really hard not to let the hype and pre-season emotions drive my vote here.. Sadly, I made that mistake last year and was disappointed more than I can remember being in a long time.

On the plus side, I think we have definately filled in the depth we were lacking at almost every position. We are in year 2 of BV's program so there should be improvement on both sides of the ball from familiarity alone. Also, as we continuously hear, Team 129 has competitive depth with all the experience (at some positions) we retrieved from the Portal.

On the negative (IMO) side, we have not got a lot of experience in our receiver corps, we've heard that DG is now passing more routes across the middle this year vs. last but I will have to see to believe (don't call me Mizzou either). We've heard the OL is well ahead of last year, but it's against our DL who wasn't stellar last year and the same is true in reverse. Lastly, our schedule, is comfortable, but I'm not confident as of now as to how well it will prepare us for the Conference Championship or CFP Playoffs beyond.

Replacing my crimson glasses. I am looking at 10 wins and hoping that we go undefeated (which my glasses say is a distinct possibility).
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
captnop

Post by captnop »

I remember last year getting carried away .,.. then right before the season started I looked OUr roster, Depth ( or lack thereof all along the defensive line and LB) stood out ,,, and just the size, we only had 1 DL at 300lbs ... I was concerned right up to the KSU game and realized it was going to be a tough season. This year I like they way the roster looks, much better depth and size across the board. Fingers crossed that translates to what we expect.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...count me with those who swallowed the hyperbole hook, line, & sinker last season.
2022 was a bitter disappointment, and the scar of that 49-zip loss to Texass I'll carry to my grave! :hornsburning:

It's always difficult for a chinaman to be pessimistic in late August, and I'm anything but.
However, last year losing 7 games and then have the SOONER HC treat the program like a career stepping stone has shown the rest of the Big 12 that GOD bleeds.
"If it bleeds, we can kill it."
The other conference teams ALL "believe" they have a legitimate shot at slaying the Crimson Dragon AND that it's probably their very last chance.
Depending on OKLAHOMA's performance in the non-conference will determine if that belief becomes a "conviction" for them.

I' agree with OUGuy that having a quality backup at qb should open the offensive playbook for Lebby and Gabriel.
Everything I'm hearing about Gabriel's Fall camp is all ACES. Have to believe this is his last collegiate season b4 looking for a chance to play on Sundays. I think he's all in!

Murray's stocked the rb room with enough stud hosses that unfortunately lack of playing time for some may result in some portal transfers out after the season.
But Barnes, Sawchuck, Walker, (Major?), and possibly Hicks should be enough to keep moving the chains.
That always depends on the Big Ugly road graders up front, but I have every confidence in Coach B.

WR is sort of a question for me. Mims will be missed but I think there's enough talent (and now it will be well coached enough) to be dead solid if not spectacular.

Teddy Lehman has convinced me on the radio that the DL is the single most improved unit on the team. IT HAS TO BE!
The secondary actually has me excited, I see some lockdown corner play and depth at safety. Should result in lots of oskies.
Linebackers still have to show me. Stutsman's a tackler and becoming a leader, but still young and inexperienced players around him. Hopeful, but kind of holding my breath too.

All in all, as optimistic as I am, reality has shown over the course of my life that undefeated college football seasons are a rarity.
So have to think somewhere along the way, misfortune say like an injury or a "bad call" at an inopportune time could contribute to a defeat.
But, ONLY ONE! Certainly no more than two. :dude:
Anything can happen in the Big 12 Title Game, and then we'll see.

I'm ready, though.
Like a bull-rider strapped on & tied down, waiting for them to open the gate! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

For what its ts worth:The Wr and TE positions are the least of my worries....could be wrong but feel rather comfortable at those positions.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

WishBone wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25 pm For what its ts worth:The Wr and TE positions are the least of my worries....could be wrong but feel rather comfortable at those positions.
I am 100% with you! In fact I think they will be better. DG has JA breathing down his neck so will make better passes. More time in Lebbys system. Even though Mims was a burner I feel the spread from top to bottom last year was huge. And this year I see the spread really close. We likely see more formations of different wr/tes. And I think we see better blocking downfield by wrs.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Big 12 officials will cheat OU out of at least one win and probably two, as our parting “gift” for leaving the conference. They will do the same to texass. The Big 12 absolutely does not want a OU-UT showdown for the Big 12 title in December. JMO.

I’m going with 10-2 for the Sooners this year.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Oh i did not factor in the big 12 refs……. I had said 12 wins based on

Last year we lost Rattler because Stinking linkin was here then we lost Caleb because STInkin linkin left with Caleb in his pocket and earlier last year both Mordecai and Chandler Morris left to be named starters elsewhere…..so we had to scramble and get Dillon, Dillon did well but was concussed and we lost those three games he missed all or part 0f, in spectacular fashion….we did not have a backup QB and used a TE as QB……. :surrender:

This year Dillon has more experience and we have a 5 Starr backup QB…so much better…….

We did lose several games last year by 5 or less points, the refs can swing those games against us and did so last year…..

I think we must be better at all positions over last year….RB is key as is TE… we have Stoegner back and if we are not better at RB this year DeMarco will be out IMO….so i think DeMarco comes through and finds a guy like Stephenson was, an agile supper fast 240 pound RB, if MUrray doesn’t he is gone… I dont see that RB yet unless it is Major….

Last year WR had lots of drops….i think Venables puts an end to that, you drop you sit…..same as it was when Stoops was here when if RB fumbled he sat…

Defense will be hugely better. :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV:

We cant have close games the refs will take those from us….

Looking at our schedule we have several tough games, TCU, Texas, KSU, and a bunch of games where any screwup could cause a loss…so in this scenario defense id the key. …… i am counting on an improved defense…. :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV:

:rice: :rice: :rice: :rice: :rice:
:ou: :ou: :ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This is why I mentioned we need to overcome refs. If the commish is openly rooting against tx then he’s doing the same for OU behind the scenes as well. Although the staying teams may be ok with it for this year - once we’re gone then he might be doing same for teams in 24 and it will bite them. This is unprofessional in that job. I truly hope both us and tx can meet in conf title game and give him a big ole middle finger.

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OU Guy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:14 pm This is why I mentioned we need to overcome refs. If the commish is openly rooting against tx then he’s doing the same for OU behind the scenes as well. Although the staying teams may be ok with it for this year - once we’re gone then he might be doing same for teams in 24 and it will bite them. This is unprofessional in that job. I truly hope both us and tx can meet in conf title game and give him a big ole middle finger.

Well. That was obvious!
It still is OU against the world.
I haven't voted yet, but I sincerely hope that speech puts some inspiration into our practices and into how we perform on the field this season.
aka Crimson47
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

I say 9 and hope I get roasted at season end for picking too low.
“Come now, let us reason together “
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

Yes I am a big time homer as you know so I am saying we win all 12 games this season! :dillon: ::rice2:: :BV: :ou:
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

Yes I am a big time homer as you know so I am saying we win all 12 games this season! :dillon: ::rice2:: :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

According to this SMU is the 2nd most talented team we face.

gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

I'd be curious to know how they came up with this talent ranking for collegiate rosters. Is it all based on HS rankings or do they take into account how a player has progressed in college? For instance, if you have 2 seniors, and one was a 4 star recruit that is still not a starter, and another was a 2-3 star recruit that was first or second team all conference as a junior, you'd better be ranking the all-conference player as more talented, or your rating system is garbage.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot