Post by WishBone »

Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

I don’t like seeing that.

However, if we didn’t want Art Briles around our program, we shouldn’t have hired his son-in-law. JMO.
walt

Post by walt »

SoonerTony wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:32 am I don’t like seeing that.

However, if we didn’t want Art Briles around our program, we shouldn’t have hired his son-in-law. JMO.
Tony, I don't like seeing that either. I understand that Jeff is sensitive about the criticism of Art Briles, but he should have avoided allowing his father-in-law to be on the OU field. If Jeff didn't bring that issue up with Brent and OU then he made a big mistake.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Maybe Brent is the one who made the big mistake by hiring Lebby in the first place, thereby making this situation possible. I don’t know. I expect that Joe C will privately voice his displeasure with both Brent and Jeff. Probably already has.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I wonder if people on here can separate their evaluation of Lebby as an OC from their evaluation of Lebby as a son in law to scum.
#Mentally In Portal
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

RussC wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:54 am I wonder if people on here can separate their evaluation of Lebby as an OC from their evaluation of Lebby as a son in law to scum.
You’re right Russ, that might be hard to do.

I also remember Lebby was caught spying on OU, for Baylor, from the Tulsa sideline during a TU-OU game several years ago. It was a violation of NCAA rules and he caught a suspension for it. So I might still be harboring some hard feelings from that incident as well.

I trust Joe C and President Harroz will handle this situation appropriately.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...THIS DOESN'T BOTHER ME IN THE SLIGHTEST. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
EMan

Post by EMan »

I have an extremely hard time believing Briles wasn't involved in the mess that was going on in Waco, much less didn't know anything about it. And this is not good optics as they say. Lebby (and Briles) should've thought about how this would play out. Not good judgment. But to be honest, this is really pretty much a nothing-burger as far as I'm concerned. Briles is his FIL, his entire family was there, and it was after the game. If not for photos by some media people trying to create a story, no one would've even had a clue Briles was in town, much less at the game. However, now that the standard has most definitely been set and I assume voiced to all affected parties, Lebby will know not to let it happen again. Other than that, time to move on as far as I'm concerned.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

In Brent I Trust :D
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

If you associate with scum, people will start to think you are scum. No way that cheating, lying, immoral scumbag should have been on our field as a "guest."

Lebby, as with his playcalling, showed poor judgement having him there. Father in Law or not, that was a piss poor decision on his part.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

It is kind of like you dipped your toe into the Briles swimming pool when you hired Lebby. Now your foot is in the water. You can back out but you are dealing with appearances

I don’t know what really happened at Baylor concerning Briles but Briles was in charge and took the brunt of the punishment while admin guys skated along with others

Maybe Briles can become the face of a program to protect women from the few athletes that are exploitive of women otherwise you are just cleaning up social media appearances

IMO
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Art on the sidelines means very little to me. I didn't see Brent interacting with Art......no hugs, hand shakes, fist bumps......nothing. So I'm willing to bet that Art will never see the inside of the locker room let alone be allowed to address/interact with the players. My guess is that the present players know very little about Art's time at Baylor. So it's only those that are old enuff to remember that are voicing their outrage. I KNOW that nothing like what happened in Waco will ever happen in Norman! I vaguely remember what brought Switzer down back in '89, maybe not as bad as Waco, but I don't condone what happened back then nor do I let what happened back then interfere with how I think of Barry as being the "King".
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Upnorth Wrote:that was a piss poor decision .......................just like your vocabulary decision on this forum?
Raul

Post by Raul »

I think this whole situation will come down to whether Lebby willfully stepped over a well-communicated line or not.

If it’s just bad optics or poor judgement, a stern “learning moment” conversation to that effect is warranted, while still acknowledging the family dynamics involved.

If it’s something more than that, as Joe’s comment certainly suggests, as well as Lebby’s weasel words of “well after the game was over” also hint at - OU won’t be able to just move on.

Either way, this certainly is an entry onto Lebby’s dreaded “permanent record” that we all have, whether he is the best OC ever or barely mediocre.