Deja Vu?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
SwampSooner

Deja Vu?

Post by SwampSooner »

Last year, we looked pretty good while racing out to a 3-0 record. Our 4th opponent blew game 3 against what was considered an easy win for them. They then turned around and pasted the favored Sooners.

This year, we look pretty good while racing out to a 3-0 record. Our next opponent blew game 3 in what should have been an easy win for them.

Will we repeat history Saturday?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

NO

LAST YEAR WE HAD NO DEFENSE AND THE WR DROPPED ABOUT 4TO 5 BALLS A GAME

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

God, I hope not.
White River

Post by White River »

Well, if Dillon gets a concussion from a cheap shot in the first half and then JA sits in the pocket and holds the ball like the Statue of Liberty until he is sacked, then I will say it's Deja Vu.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

We have a viable backup quarterback, a better group of receivers, and a defense that isn’t missing nearly as many tackles as they did last year. So even if DG were to get hurt, I don’t think the wheels will come off like they did last year. Might lose some games, but won’t lose 7 of them.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

White River wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:25 pm Well, if Dillon gets a concussion from a cheap shot in the first half and then JA sits in the pocket and holds the ball like the Statue of Liberty until he is sacked, then I will say it's Deja Vu.
I'll post this here. It's kind of off topic, but no reason to start a new thread at this time.

You are right, if Dillon goes down we are in the same situation we were last year. A much, much bbetter backup, but what happens if they both go down (shut my mouth).

Q-Back's are coming. We all read about Hawkins, but we have another. (link) I read on another site this guy had a monster night last week in high school football. Some are saying he is the steal of a deal if we hold onto him. Major programs just might come calling. Anyways here he is. I'll post more if I can find his stats last week, but don't count him out, maybe better than Hawkins, but Hawkins is having a career year even at a new school. I love it!!! Stack them up!!

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/b ... 84?view=pv
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

You can only play 1 QB at a time, and then groom one replacement/successor if the timing is right like it is with DGJA.

Remember when Mordecai bailed, Chandler Morris bailed, …..then Rattler bailed because Caleb got ahead of schedule…..

You cant stack 4 starting QBs…with the portal….

Morris is starting at TCU, Mordecai is starting at Wisconsin{after starting for SMU}. And Rattler is starting at South Carolina and obviously Caleb starts for Trojan……

JA is the only backup we have but he is ultra high quality and will start next year
KJinSkiatook

Post by KJinSkiatook »

White River wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:25 pm Well, if Dillon gets a concussion from a cheap shot in the first half and then JA sits in the pocket and holds the ball like the Statue of Liberty until he is sacked, then I will say it's Deja Vu.
Dillon got hurt in the 5th game last year (TCU), not in the 4th game (KSU). He was healthy and available for all of the KSU loss. IIRC, he had few overthrows of wide open receivers that could have scored or at least kept drives alive to eat clock and possibly score later in the drive.

I too am a little worried about the 4th game this year. It's against our first real opponent with an athletic and skilled QB. If we don't consistently maintain our rush lanes he could get loose and prove to be dangerous (just like the KSU qb last year). Our offense better be able to score against Cincinnati's defense. I think it will be closer than most think; in the 7-10 point range.
Living the dream…
White River

Post by White River »

KJinSkiatook wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:34 pm
Dillon got hurt in the 5th game last year (TCU), not in the 4th game (KSU). He was healthy and available for all of the KSU loss. IIRC, he had few overthrows of wide open receivers that could have scored or at least kept drives alive to eat clock and possibly score later in the drive.

I too am a little worried about the 4th game this year. It's against our first real opponent with an athletic and skilled QB. If we don't consistently maintain our rush lanes he could get loose and prove to be dangerous (just like the KSU qb last year). Our offense better be able to score against Cincinnati's defense. I think it will be closer than most think; in the 7-10 point range.
KJ.......... You are correct and I remembered poorly. In my mind TCU was the 4th game. It was not. Martinez and Vaughn ran wild on us before TCU delivered the knockout blow. Thanks for setting the record straight!
captnop

Post by captnop »

Never say Never, BUT .. Dillion was overthrowing WR in the 1 st 3 games and it caught up to him against KSU. This year he's been significantly better and as a unit the WR are better too. Secondly the defense has been better and Nebraska was more like a Div II team, so that win was meaningless. We will find out for sure tomorrow.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

One other wildcard to throw in is officiating. The Big 12 does not want to see OU win the conference on our way out. I fully expect we will have to overcome the officials as well as the Bearcats. Especially if it’s a close game in the 2nd half…
KJinSkiatook

Post by KJinSkiatook »

White River wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:45 pm
KJinSkiatook wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:34 pm

KJ.......... You are correct and I remembered poorly. In my mind TCU was the 4th game. It was not. Martinez and Vaughn ran wild on us before TCU delivered the knockout blow. Thanks for setting the record straight!
I wasn’t trying to be THAT interwebs guy, but I think a lot of people overly attribute more of our losses from last year to DG’s injury than was the case. We lost 5 games with him at qb. That’s why I’m still nervous about this year as the competition gets better. I know we are playing better (or at least appear so), but I’m hedging my bets until proven against tougher teams.
Living the dream…
EMan

Post by EMan »

DG had some really bad passes to some wide-open receivers at times last year, but I also remember the receivers having the dropsies at times, as well as the defense having issues. I remember Mims dropped a touchdown pass that hit him right in the hands at the goal line against WV that would've won the game. So there was enough blame to go around which is why I certainly understand stepping on the brakes a little as the Sooners head into the conference schedule. But my eyes also tell me this team is much improved over last year. As they say, time will tell, but I certainly feel like OU is in a much better place this season than last so there is reason for "some" optimism.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
captnop

Post by captnop »

I attribute our losses ( other than the 1.6 games we were without DG) to a combination of DG missing and receivers either dropping balls or just unable to go up and get them. This year the WR's are going up , being physical and taking the ball AND DG is more accurate with his throws. Hopefully thats the case to morrow and OU wins 35-18.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I guess Saturday we will find out if we are contenders or pretenders..
We are a better football team than we were this time last year. But Cinncy is a team that if you make a little mistake, they can take advantage of you and make you try to repeat that mistake over and over. It can cost us points--like Tulsa last week.
I think we will score enough to keep them at bay, but we need to play heads up ball and not lose our composure if we have one play bust---or have a PI or Pers Foul call go against us.
Keep our focus and head on straight, and I think we will be fine.
This may be Walkers game--make them stop him. If they can't, then Dillon will have a nice day.
aka Crimson47