Oklahoma Women's Golf Host Schooner Fall Classic - Sept 23-25

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
OUBeliever56A

Oklahoma Women's Golf Host Schooner Fall Classic - Sept 23-25

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Golf Team will host the annual Schooner Fall Classic Tournament starting tomorrow, Saturday the 23rd, at Belmar Country Club in Norman. The tournament is a 54-hole format with 18 holes played each day.

Course Information:
Belmar Golf Club | Norman, Oklahoma

Par 70 | 6,182 yards

Address: 1025 E Indian Hills Rd, Norman, OK 73071

Teams Competing (15)
Florida State, Houston, Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas State, New Mexico, UNT, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Purdue, TCU, Texas State, Tulsa, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

I am watching for more information from the the Woman's Golf staff writers. When it is posted I will post more about the tourney.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I guess I did not have quite enough patience to wait on the official article from the Sooner staff writers. Here is the article provided by them and the Women's Golf Program.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/9/22 ... ll-classic

For the Sooners, the five woman team for OU will be comprised of;

- Sophomore Savannah Barber,
- Senior Nina Lang,
- Junior Reagan Chaney,
- Junior Isabelle Schlick,
- and freshman Holly McLean.

Sophomore Gracie Mayo and senior Kaylee Vesely will compete as individuals.

The five players players on the OU Team will tee off on Hole #1 starting at 8:30 AM on Saturday with one Sooners in each of the first five groups with 10 minutes between tee-times. Individual Sooners Mayo and Vesely will tee off on Hole #10 at 9:40 and 9:50 AM.

In the first tourney of the Fall at Pebble Beach, Barber played very well at 5-under par for the tourney. Schlick and Chaney shot 9-over par with Lang shooting 25-over par for the 54-hole tourney. Mayo, competing as an individual this weekend shot 22-over par.

The Schooner Fall Classic will be the first event that Freshman Holly McLean will compete for OU.

Good luck to the Sooners this weekend at Belmar.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Golf Team playing at home at the Belmar Golf Club, played their first round on Saturday shooting a 4-over par 284 to place them in a Tie for 6th Place with three other teams. Kansas State, Purdue and North Texas also shot 4-over par on the day. the top three teams are Wake Forest, Houston and Virginia Tech who shot 10-under (270), 6-under (274) and Even Par (280) for the day. Tulsa is in 4th at 1-over (281) with Iowa State in 5th at 3-over par (283).

For the Sooners the 5-woman team finished in this order:

#1 - Sophomore Savannah Barber - Barber shot an Even par round of 70 with a 34 front nine and a 36 back nine. Barber was 2-under thru 17 holes, but double bogeys the Par-4 18th to finish at Even. She had 4 birdies and 2 bogeys and that final hole double.
#5 - Freshman Holly McLean - Playing her first round for the Sooners, McLean also shot Even par round of 70. She had 4 birdies and 4 bogeys during her round and shot 35 on the front and 35 on the back nine.
#2 - Senior Nina Lang- Lang shot 2-over par with a 37 on the front and a 35 on the back. She had 1 bordie and 3 bogeys on the day. Lang played a nice, quiet round with 14 pars for the day.
#3 - Junior Reagan Chaney - Chaney carded a double bogey on the first hole of the day but rebounded to play even par golf for the remaining 17 holes for a 2-over par 72. Despite the opening double, Chaney shot 1-under on the front nine with a 35. She shot 3-over on the back. Chaney had 3 birdies and 3 bogeys to go with the double.
#4 - Junior Isabelle Schlick- Schlick shot a 3-over par 73 in the first round to be the score that was not used by OU. Schlick was 1-over on the front and 2-over on the back with 4 bogeys and 1 birdie.

Two individual players will play 'unattached' for the Sooners this weekend.

Sophomore Grace Mayo - Mayo shot a nice 1-over par 73 on the day with an Even par front nine 36 and a 1-over 35 back nine. She carded 3 birdies and 4 bogeys on the day.
Sophomore Kaylee Vesely - Vesely shot a 9-over par round of 79. Vesely suffered with 3 "other' scores with 3 double bogeys in her round. On her card was also 4 bogeys and 1 birdie.
It looks like most players and teams had a tougher time on the back nine that the front nine. The front nine carries a Par of 36 while the back carries a Par of 34. The players and teams that played steady on the front and back fared better than most.

The individual leader in the tourney is Carolina Lopez-Chacarra for Wake Forest who shot a 7-under 63 on Saturday with 7 birdies and 11 pars.

When the tee times are posted for Sunday morning, I will post them.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here are the tee times for Sunday's round at the Schooner Fall Classic at Belmar Golf Club.

The five players players on the OU Team will tee off on Hole #1 starting at 9:50 AM on Saturday with one Sooners in each group with 10 minutes between tee-times.

Schlick @ 9:50 AM
Chaney @ 10:00 AM
Lang @ 10:10 AM
McLean @ 10:20 AM
Barber @ 10:30 AM

Individual Sooners Vesely and Mayo will tee off on Hole #10 at 10:10 AM and 10:30 AM.

Good luck to the Sooner Women!

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Golf Team shot a 2-under par on Sunday for a team score of 278. That gave them a 2-over par team total for 36 holes of play and placed them in a tie for 5th in the Schooner Fall Classic. The final round in Monday at Belmar Golf Club.

- Reagan Chaney led the Sooners on Sunday with a nice 4-under 66 as she carded 4 birdies and 14 pars on the day. Her two-day total is 2-under, 138 and is in a T-13th in the individual tournament. Chaney's 4-under par round was her best round in her Sooner career.

- Isabella Schlick also shot under par on Sunday with a 1-under par 69. Schlick had 4 birdies and 3 bogeys on Sunday. Her two-day total is 2-over par with a 142 and is in a T-27th individually. Schlick's 1-under round is her best round as a Sooner also.

- Savannah Barber shot 1-over par, 71 on Sunday. Barber had 2 birdies, 1 bogey and one double bogey. Her two-day total is 1-over par with a 141 and is in T-23rd individually.

- Holly McLean shot 2-over par, 72 on Sunday. McLean had 1 birdie and 3 bogeys. Her two-day total is 2-over 142 and is in a T-27th individually.

-Nina Lang played to a 7-over par, 77 on Sunday. Lang had 1 birdie, 6 bogeys and 1 double par n her round. Her two-day total is 149 and is in a T-65th individually.

Playing individually for the Sooners are Grace Mayo and Kaylee Vesely.
- Mayo shot a 1-under par, 69 on Sunday. She has a two-day total of 140 at Even par and is in a T-20th in individual play. Both of Mayo's rounds this weekend has been her best rounds as a Sooner. She bested her 1-over par round on Saturday with a 1-under par round on Sunday.

- Vesely shot a 6-over par, 76 on Sunday. she has a two-day total of 155 at 15-over par and is in a T-82nd in individually play.

- - - - -

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about Sunday's round for the Sooners.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/9/24 ... cond-round

- - - - -

The team standings in the Schooner Fall Classic are below:

1st - Wake Forest is at 20-under par, 540 for the Tourney with two 10-under par rounds on Saturday and Sunday.
2nd - Virginia Tech is at 6-under par, 554 for the Tourney with an Even par round on Saturday and a 6-under par round on Sunday.
T-3rd - Houston and Florida State is at Even par for the Tourney. Houston has shot rounds of 6 under and 6 over par. FSU has shot rounds of 10-over par and 10-under par.
T-5th with Oklahoma is Kansas State at 2 over par. K-State has shot rounds on 2-under par on Sunday and 4-over par on Saturday.
Oklahoma State and Purdue is in a T-7th at 3-over par.
Tulsa is in 9th at 4-over par.
Iowa State is in 10th at 6-over par.

Here are the tee times for the Sooners on Monday morning at Belmar Golf Club.

Teeing off on #1 - 9:20 - Lang, 9:30 - McLean, 9:40 - Schlick, 9:50 - Barber, 10:00 - Chaney. Teeing of on #10 - 9:40 - Vesely and 10:00 - Mayo.

Good luck to the Sooners on Monday at Belmar.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Golf Team finished their home tournament, the Schooner Fall Classic, with their highest round of the tournament with a 285, 5-over par 3rd round. that moved them to 7-over par for the Tourney with of 284, 278 and 285. The Sooners finished in a T-8th Place with North Texas with their 847 total.

Wake Forest, the defending 2023 D1 Champions, lapped the field with a 29-under Par 811 total. The Deacons shot 10-under, 10-under and 9-under for great consistency. Virginia Tech finsided in 2nd with a 7-under par total at 833. Purdue finished in 3rd with a 3-under par total of 837. Houston finished in 4th with a 2-under total at 838. They were the only 4 teams under par. Florida State finished 1-over in 5th, Oklahoma State finished at 3-over in 6th, Tulsa finished at 6-over in 7th and North Texas finished in the T-for 8th with Oklahoma at 7-over.

Iowa State finished in 10th at 10-over, Kansas Sate finished in 11th at 16-over, New Mexico finished in 12th at 24-over, Texas State finished in 13th at 27 over par, TCU finished in 14th at 28-over par and Illinois finished in 15th at 29-over par.

Individually, the Sooners were led by Sophomore Savannah Barber. Barber shot a 69, 1-under par smooth round on Sunday with 3 birdies and 2 bogeys. For the tourney, Barber shot Even-Par with a 210. She finished in a T-17th individually.

Two Sooner team players finshed at 3-over Par, 213, for the Tourney and in a tie for 29th place. Isabella Schlick, another Sophomore. Schlick shot a 1-over Par, 71 with 3 birdies and 4 bogeys. Holly McLean, a Freshman, also shot a 1-over Par with 3 birdies, 2 bogeys and 1 double bogey.

Reagan Chaney, Junior, shot an uncharacteristic 7-over Par 77 on Monday. She shot a varied round on Monday with 3 birdies, 6 bogeys and one quad bogey. For the tourney, Chaney shot a 5 over par, 215 to finish in a tie for 43rd place. After her first two rounds, Cheney was 2 under par. On Monday after making three bogeys in the first four holes had managed to work her way back to 2-over thru 10 holes.

Nina Lang, 4th year SR, was the final Sooner team member in the tourney. She shot a 4-over Par, 74 on Monday. Lang had 2 birdies, 3 bogeys and one triple bogey in her round. She finished at 13-over Par in a tie for 67th place.

Two additional players also played this weekend for the Sooners. Gracie Mayo, Sophomore, After playing the first two rounds in Even Par, Mayo shot a 75, 5-over Par round on Monday. Her round on Monday included 1 birdie and 6 bogeys. Her 3-day total of 215, 5-over Par had her finish in a Tie for 43rd Place individually. Kaylee Vesely, a 4th YR SR, never was able to get herself playing well this weekend as she shot rounds of 79, 76 and 81 for a 26-over Par total or 236 to finish in 82nd Place.

I walked the course with the ladies yesterday as I followed the five Sooner team members each for 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 holes. I had a very enjoyable day. The weather was warm but not hot. There was a gentle breeze most of the time. The wind was maybe a 1-club adjustment most of the day with maybe a 2-club adjustment needed into the wind a couple of times. Belmar is not an easy course to play. It has several 'target' holes where you can layup for a good approach shot. I thought the pins were stuck in tough spots on several holes which made scoring tough. It has several elevation changes as well. Belmar generally has nice wide fairways but greens that require accurate iron play to built up greens or pin areas on those greens. I did think the Par 3's played tough yesterday. I saw several 270 yard drives by the ladies. It is surprising how much power many of the ladies generate with their swings. I saw lots of putts left 2-3 feet short all day. Very few putts rolled past the hole. But several chips from around the green seemed to rollout farther than I originally thought. I saw maybe 3 or 4 putts made from outside 12 feet while watching 14 ladies putt on 66 holes during the round.

If I were playing with them, I would be hitting first to the greens on almost every hole unless it was a lay up hole. (That means that I would be hitting the ball off the tee 30-ish yards shorter than the ladies.) I would also be hitting at least one more iron, maybe 2 more irons to the green.)

I think the three young players I watched yesterday, Barber, Schlick and McLean all have strong golf games. Barber hits the ball very well and has an all-around game and will always play well with her game. Schlick is one of those sneaky good golfers. She just manages her game well and has no real weakness. McLean looked very good in her second tourney for the Sooners. One poor shot cost her two shots but she recovered immediately from the mistake and just played on. I thought Lang is a solid player that is more comfortable when she can play a fairway wood off the tee than a driver from what I saw. I thought Chaney recovered after her 'other' score and played well until the finish. Her round resembled a round of 72 more than a round of 77 yesterday. Chaney hits the ball very well, probably just behind Barber in that regard.

I will say that a Houston player, Maelynn Kim, probably impressed me the much as anyone yesterday. The young lady is maybe 5'4". She just hits the ball very well and plays much taller, if you understand what I mean. She shot a 69 yesterday and she hit most every shot well that I saw. She lipped-out two putts that I saw or she would have shot better.

The Sooner Women travel to Indiana to play at Medina Country Club on October 9th and 10th (Mon-Tues). They will play 36 holes on Monday and a final 18 holes on Tuesday.

Good luck to the Ladies in Illinois.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the Monday final round of the Schooner Fall Classic.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/10/1 ... vitational

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »