Brent, Bob and Barry Sitdown Talk

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Brent, Bob and Barry Sitdown Talk

Post by OU Guy »

This is part 1 and 7 minutes long. We’ve been blessed with some great ones.

Video 2 its 7 minutes

Video 3 its 5 minutes

Last edited by OU Guy on Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
SoonerinLA

Post by SoonerinLA »

Love listening to these guys talk.
:horns:
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Awesome! Thanks for posting that. Could listen all day to those guys sitting around telling stories and talking football.

40 years later, and Barry is still mad about that call on the Keith Stansberry interception in the end zone in '84.
:lol:
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
walt

Post by walt »

Listening to these three great coaches was really good to hear. Bob and Barry are great head coaches of OU football, and I don't have any doubt that Brent won't be right up with Bob and Barry and all the other great OU head coaches.

I don't think there is any set of school head coaches who can beat OU's great coaches. I have always felt lucky to have been able to watch all of them from Bud to Bob and Brent will follow up just as all the great coaches of OU.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
EMan

Post by EMan »

Triple Option wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 pm 40 years later, and Barry is still mad about that call on the Keith Stansberry interception in the end zone in '84. :lol:
So am I!! I still can't believe that ref called that catch out of bounds! And this was after the blatant fumble by Texas* at midfield on that same drive. Talk about getting hosed!
Stanberry - TX3.jpg
Stanberry - TX3.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
But I do have a humorous story about that day. As Barry noted, it was pouring down rain that entire game. My uncle had given my wife and I tickets to the game in the upper deck, and just as we were about to go into the stadium, he came up and asked if we'd switch tickets with him. The seats he had given us were 2 of 4 tickets together and he and my aunt had a couple of friends they wanted to sit with. Mrs. E and I didn't care where we were sitting. We were just glad to be in the stadium. Anyway, as we made our way to our seats, we suddenly realized we were going to be sitting under the overhang of the upper deck! We were totally bone dry that entire game! My uncle, who got soaked in the upper deck, never let us forget it! :D
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

EMan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 pm
Triple Option wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 pm 40 years later, and Barry is still mad about that call on the Keith Stansberry interception in the end zone in '84. :lol:
So am I!! I still can't believe that ref called that catch out of bounds! And this was after the blatant fumble by Texas* at midfield on that same drive. Talk about getting hosed!

Stanberry - TX3.jpg

But I do have a humorous story about that day. As Barry noted, it was pouring down rain that entire game. My uncle had given my wife and I tickets to the game in the upper deck, and just as we were about to go into the stadium, he came up and asked if we'd switch tickets with him. The seats he had given us were 2 of 4 tickets together and he and my aunt had a couple of friends they wanted to sit with. Mrs. E and I didn't care where we were sitting. We were just glad to be in the stadium. Anyway, as we made our way to our seats, we suddenly realized we were going to be sitting under the overhang of the upper deck! We were totally bone dry that entire game! My uncle, who got soaked in the upper deck, never let us forget it! :D
That was my first OU-Texas game - I was a sophmore at OU. And yes, I was soaked, and I remember vividly all of the bad calls that last drive. The texas fans knew it too, as they were all excited about the tie, while the Sooners fans were rightly upset.

I also remember that the next day, some friends and I that came to Dallas for the game visited a church in Dallas. When we were being greeted during the service a lady nearby who discovered we were Sooner fans said, "You guys really won that game." That's the way to make visitors feel welcome in your church!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
BigIslandSooner

Post by BigIslandSooner »

where can we watch the other parts?
Jack Mildren is why I always wore #11
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

Triple Option wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 pm Awesome! Thanks for posting that. Could listen all day to those guys sitting around telling stories and talking football.

40 years later, and Barry is still mad about that call on the Keith Stansberry interception in the end zone in '84.
:lol:
He ain't the only one. :smokingmad:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

BigIslandSooner wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:23 am where can we watch the other parts?
They haven’t been released yet will post once they do
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

To wet your whistle here is 15 minutes new interview hosted by bob and guest is none other than Baker. Great stuff!

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Video 2 its 7 minutes. Will also modify original post and add there

Fly

Post by Fly »

I remember that play Barry talked about were Standsbarry grabbing that fumble in the air landing on his back & sliding a good 4 ft
In the in zone to out of bonds. Then the ref throws that flag. That was the worst call ever in college foot ball. They played that
On replay I can,t say how many times. That was before instant playback for refs to review. :smokingmad:

🪰Fly :BV:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Fly wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:09 am I remember that play Barry talked about were Standsbarry grabbing that fumble in the air landing on his back & sliding a good 4 ft
In the in zone to out of bonds. Then the ref throws that flag. That was the worst call ever in college foot ball. They played that
On replay I can,t say how many times. That was before instant playback for refs to review. :smokingmad:

🪰Fly :BV:
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

If I remember right, we lost Brandon Everage and Austin Box within a week or two of each other. Both were taken way too soon.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

gcruse7 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:46 pm
EMan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 pm

Stanberry - TX3.jpg

That was my first OU-Texas game - I was a sophmore at OU. And yes, I was soaked, and I remember vividly all of the bad calls that last drive. The texas fans knew it too, as they were all excited about the tie, while the Sooners fans were rightly upset.

I also remember that the next day, some friends and I that came to Dallas for the game visited a church in Dallas. When we were being greeted during the service a lady nearby who discovered we were Sooner fans said, "You guys really won that game." That's the way to make visitors feel welcome in your church!
It was my 1st OU/ut game, too. I was 9 & went with my dad & one of my best friends & his dad. They were (and still are) big :horns: fans & had tickets in the :horns: endzone. The end of that game was the 1st time I can remember ever hearing my dad ever "really" cuss - things a little more colorful than hell & damn. I was instructed to NOT relay to my mother the things I heard him say. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And even the :horns: fans around us acknowledged how lucky they were to have come away with a tie.