This Week for OU Women's Soccer: Trip to WV and Ohio: Need 4 pts

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
OUBeliever56A

This Week for OU Women's Soccer: Trip to WV and Ohio: Need 4 pts

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooners staff writers article about this week for the Sooner Women's Soccer Team.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/10/4 ... cincinnati

The Sooners travel to Morgantown, WV for their first match with West Virginia on Thursday night at 6 PM CST. From there, they travel to Cincinnati, OH to play Cincinnati at 1 PM CST on Sunday.

Oklahoma is 2-2-1 in the Big 12 and 6-6-1 on the season. OU has outscored their opponents 31 goals to 21 goals.
West Virginia is 1-3-1 in the Big 12 and 3-7-3 on the season. West Virginia has scored 19 goals and allowed 21. WV has scored more than 1 goals only twice this season.
Cincinnati is 1-2-2 in the Big 12 and 2-6-4 on the season. Cincy has scored 9 goals this season, scoring 2 in only one match. Cincy has allowed 19 goals.

I think that Oklahoma should return home to Norman with at least 1 win and 1 tie on the road this week. That will give the Sooners a 4 point week for the Big 12. If they succeed in that, they will have helped themselves in the Big 12 race considerably.

One note- the next goal for Emma Hawkins will be her 50th goal of her career. I hope she gets that goal in the first ten minutes of the West Virginia match. then she can start trying to reach the 60th goal of her career.

Good luck this week to the Sooners.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Well my thoughts about the week in WV and Ohio, did not start out very well. The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Soccer team was beaten by West Virginia on Thursday night 4-0

In the first half the two West Virginia goals were scored on set plays from the corner. Both times the Mountaineers were much better in the air playing the ball lofted in from the corner. Twice the WV players were up over the Sooners to score goals. The first goal was a rebound goal off of Sierra Giorgio as she was able to block the initial header off the corner kick but White for WV was there for the rebound putback for the goal. The second goal was scored straight off the header on a corner kick as it found the back of the net too easily. The rest of the half was fairly even between the two teams, but OU found it difficult to earn the numerous corner kicks it had been producing due to a stout defensive line by WV. Each time the Sooners worked the ball into the box, there were always a couple more defensive players for WV there than Sooners as there were no clear shots for the Sooners at all.

In the second half, the WV goal two minutes into the half on another corner kick was a dagger for the Sooners to make the score 3-0. Again the ball was played better by the Mountaineers in the air. A fourth goal by West Virginia was on a sloppy play by the Sooners on a shot over Giorgio's head where the ball simply was not caught and secured.

The WV GK, Massey, was very aggressive in net during the game as she came out of the net to play the ball by catching it above the crowd of players or knocking the ball out of the box effectively. It seems the Sooners are reluctant to play aggressively in the net and prefer to try to handle the ball off the initial play in the box too often. The Sooner defenders are often flat footed, or mis-time their jump to play the ball in the air or simple do not guess the proper position to play the ball. the WV match resembled the Texas Tech match in that regard.

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the WV victory on Thursday night.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/10/5 ... morgantown

The match on Sunday at Cincinnati now looms larger for the Sooners. A tie or a win would really help the Sooners. On the road that seems to be a significant ask right now. The offense seems to be too dependent upon numerous corner opportunities and the defense is having small lapses of 30 seconds to give up scores.

Good luck to the Sooners on Sunday. They need to play well.

Boomer Sooner!

= = = = =

Here are the results of other Big 12 Soccer play on Thursday, Oct 5th.

Texas at UCF - This should be close, but Texas should be favored, even on the road. Texas defeated UCF 3-1. Texas seems to be playing pretty well right now.
Oklahoma State at Cincinnati - OSU should rebound and win on the road at Cincy. OSU drops two matches in a row as Cincinnati won 1-0 on a goal in the 81st minute.
Oklahoma at West Virginia - I think OU should win on the road, and they need to. OU dropped the match 4-0.
Iowa State at Baylor - Baylor probably has the edge due to the playing at home. Baylor won 4-2 over the Cyclones.
Houston at Kansas State - Both teams need a win, I think Houston may win on the road. Kansas State won their first conference match 1-0 on a 1st half goal.
Kansas at TCU - TCU has regained their form, TCU wins. TCU won at home 1-0 on another 1st half goal.
Texas Tech at BYU - This is the game of the week on Thursday. I will take BYU simply because they are the home team. Tech and BYU played to a 2-2 tie at BYU. Each team scored single goals in each half.

The standings in the Big 12 are now as follows.

1st Place - Texas Tech - 5-0-1 for 16 points and an 11-0-3 overall record.
2nd Place - TCU - 5-0-1 for 16 points and an 9-3-2 overall record.
3rd Place - BYU - 3-0-3 for 12 points and a 10-1-3 overall record.
Tie for 4th Place - Oklahoma State and UCF - 4-2-0 for 12 points and an 11-4-0 and an 8-4-0 overall record.
6th Place - Texas - 3-2-1 for 10 points and a 10-3-2 overall record.
7th Place - Cincinnati - 2-2-2 for 8 points and a 3-6-4 overall record.
Tie for 8th Place - Baylor, Oklahoma and West Virginia - 2-3-1 for 7 points and a 7-5-2, 6-7-1 and a 4-7-3 overall record.
11th Place - Kansas State - 1-4-1 for 4 points and a 3-8-3 overall record.
Tie for 12th Place - Iowa State and Houston - 1-5-0 for 3 points and a 4-9-1 and a 7-6-1 overall record.
14th Place - Kansas - 0-4-2 for 2 points and a 3-5-6 overall record.

Sunday, Oct 8th - Schedule:

Oklahoma State at WV - this match is now a toss-up with maybe WV holding an edge at home. OSU needs a tie at least.
Baylor at UCF - I believe UCF should be favored at home but I can see Baylor picking a point with a tie or even a win.
Oklahoma at Cincinnati - If OU wins it would be a big win. With Cincy defeating OSU, maybe a tie is all that OU can expect.
Houston at Kansas - Spending the week playing in Kansas, Houston might drop the match to Kansas. It would be Kansas' first conference win. I will give Kansas the edge.
Iowa State at Texas - Another team on the road in another state this week. Texas should win over I-State.
TCU at Texas Tech - This is another very good match in the Big 12 this week. After Thursday, the match if for first place in the Big 12. But this match is a toss-up unless the game is decided on corners, where Tech has an edge with their length.

Monday, Oct 9th:

Kansas State at BYU - BYU easily is the favorite.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women's Soccer Team finished up their NE road trip to West Virginia and Ohio by playing Cincinnati to a 0-0 draw. That did allow the Sooner to pick up a point in the standings which does make a difference. That keeps OU in 10th place in the Big 12 Soccer standings which would place OU in the end-of-the-season Big 12 Tourney.

I did not see the game today, due to driving back towards Norman from a small vacation. But I did notice two things watching the Live Stats. Michelle Pak was back in the lineup in the midfield and Olivia Ramey (not Raines, wrong sport) got the start in goal for OU. Raines even put up a shutout in her first Big 12 start of the season.

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about today's draw with Cincinnati.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/10/8 ... cincinnati

I really do think today's draw with Cincinnati is good news. Remember that Cincy defeated OSU on Thursday 1-0. Today OSU dropped their match to 1-0. So Oklahoma did have abit of a better road trip to WV and Ohio than OSU did. The Sooners finish the regular season at Stillwater.

Oklahoma will host Texas on Thursday night at 7 PM at John Crain Field. Oklahoma will also host BYU next Monday at 7 PM at John Crain Field. The Sooners close out Big 12 play on the following Monday in Stillwater at 7 PM.

Congrats on the tie today against Cincinnati by the Sooners.

Boomer Sooner!

=====

In play today in the Big 12 Soccer, here are the other results.

WV at home defeated OSU 1-0.
Baylor won on the road over UCF, 2-1.
Houston won on the road at Kansas, 2-0.
Texas won over Iowa State 2-1 in Austin.
Tech defeated TCU in Lubbock 1-0.

On Monday, BYU hosts Kansas State.

Here are the Big 12 standings without that BYU-K-State result.

1st Place - Texas Tech 6-0-1 with 19 points - overall 12-0-1.
2nd Place - TCU 5-1-1 with 16 points - overall 9-4-2.
3rd Place - Texas 4-2-1 with 13 points - overall 10-3-2.
T-4th Place - BYU 3-0-3 with 12 points - overall 10-1-3. BYU hosts Kansas State on Monday.
T-4th Place - OSU 4-3-0 with 12 points - overall 11-5-0.
T-4th Place - UCF 4-3-0 with 12 points - overall 8-5-0.
T-7th Place - Baylor 3-3-1 with 10 points - overall 8-5-2.
T-7th Place - West Virginia 3-3-1 with 10 points - overall 5-7-3.
9th Place - Cincinnati 2-2-3 with 9 points - overall 3-6-5.
10th Place - Oklahoma 2-3-2 with 8 points - overall 6-7-2.
11th Place - Houston 2-5-0 with 6 points - overall 8-6-1.
12th Place - Kansas State 1-4-1 with 4 points - overall 3-8-3.
13th Place - Iowa State 1-6-0 with 3 points - overall 4-10-1.
14th Place - Kansas 0-5-2 with 2 points - overall 3-6-6.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Olivia Raines was a softball player. You meant Olivia Ramey.

I watched a large chunk of the second half and Pak looked fine. I was glad to see her back out there again. Weber didn't start, which is a bit of a surprise. Pappas started in her place. Pappas has been getting a lot of playing time recently.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:59 am Olivia Raines was a softball player. You meant Olivia Ramey.

I watched a large chunk of the second half and Pak looked fine. I was glad to see her back out there again. Weber didn't start, which is a bit of a surprise. Pappas started in her place. Pappas has been getting a lot of playing time recently.
Sorry about the Raines/Ramey mess up. (I still wish Raines would have stayed a Sooner.) I have corrected my error. I think Weber has a leg issue from watching all the games. The team may also need a bit more speed in the midfield area. I agree about Pappas getting more time all the time.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

On Monday, BYU hosts Kansas State. BYU won 2-0 over Kansas State on Monday.

Here are the revised Big 12 standings thru Monday - Oct 9th.

1st Place - Texas Tech 6-0-1 with 19 points - overall 12-0-1.
2nd Place - TCU 5-1-1 with 16 points - overall 9-4-2.
3rd Place - BYU 4-0-3 with 15 points - overall 11-1-3.
4th Place - Texas 4-2-1 with 13 points - overall 10-3-2.
T-5th Place - OSU 4-3-0 with 12 points - overall 11-5-0.
T-5th Place - UCF 4-3-0 with 12 points - overall 8-5-0.
T-7th Place - Baylor 3-3-1 with 10 points - overall 8-5-2.
T-7th Place - West Virginia 3-3-1 with 10 points - overall 5-7-3.
9th Place - Cincinnati 2-2-3 with 9 points - overall 3-6-5.
10th Place - Oklahoma 2-3-2 with 8 points - overall 6-7-2.
11th Place - Houston 2-5-0 with 6 points - overall 8-6-1.
12th Place - Kansas State 1-5-1 with 4 points - overall 3-9-3.
13th Place - Iowa State 1-6-0 with 3 points - overall 4-10-1.
14th Place - Kansas 0-5-2 with 2 points - overall 3-6-6.