Seth Littrell named OC

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Seth Littrell named OC

Post by OU Guy »

In case Lebby takes MSU job I got the wiki info on Seth since his name seems to be at front of line:

James Seth Littrell (born July 24, 1978) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently an offensive analyst at his alma mater, the University of Oklahoma. He was the head coach of the North Texas Mean Green football team from 2016 to 2022.

Littrell attended the University of Oklahoma, where he played four years and was a team captain on the Oklahoma Sooners football team that won the 2000 national championship. He graduated in 2001 with a degree in communications. His father, Jimmy, also played fullback at OU and won two national championships in 1974 and 1975.

Early life

Littrell was born in Muskogee, Oklahoma, and attended Muskogee High School. He played fullback and linebacker where he rushed for 1,385 yards and 29 touchdowns his senior year.[1] He was named first team all state as a linebacker.[2] He finished his prep career with a total of 3,603 rushing yards and 53 TDs. He was recruited by Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tulsa, Arkansas, Kansas State and Texas.[1] Littrell also wrestled and won two 5A state championship at 189 lbs.[3][4]

Coaching career

Litrell started his coaching as a graduate assistant for the Kansas Jayhawks football team for two seasons from 2002 to 2004.

Under Mike Leach, he was running backs coach at Texas Tech from 2005 to 2008. From 2009 to 2011, Littrell coached the offense at Arizona. Then from 2012 to 2013, Littrell was offensive coordinator and tight ends coach at Indiana from 2012 to 2013. From 2014 to 2015, Littrell was assistant head coach for offense and tight ends coach at North Carolina under Larry Fedora. In Littrell's last season at North Carolina, the team finished 11–3 and first place in the ACC Coastal Division.[5]

North Texas

On December 5, 2015, Littrell was named the head coach at North Texas. UNT hired Littrell after the Mean Green finished 1-11 in 2015.[6] School officials moved quickly to sign Littrell to an extension following the season through 2021.[7] After his first season which saw the team finish in a bowl game and with a 5–8 record, his second season his team broke through. With great play from future NFL back Jeffrey Wilson, senior Kishawn McClain, and the future program passing leader sophomore Mason Fine, the team finished the season with a 9–5 record. This was the first 9-win season in almost 40 years for UNT and led to another contract extension. The following season Littrell led the Mean Green to a 4–0 start with wins that included a 46–23 win over rival SMU, and a surprising 44–17 win over SEC Arkansas. The team finished again with 9 wins and a third consecutive bowl appearance. Littrell is 0–5 in bowl games with the most recent game coming on December 23, 2021, where UNT lost to Miami (OH) 27–14 in the Frisco Football Classic.

North Texas fired Littrell on December 4, 2022, following a 7–6 season in which North Texas qualified for the Frisco Bowl but lost the conference championship game to UTSA. Defensive coordinator Phil Bennett took over as interim head coach for the bowl game.[8]

Assistant

On March 20, 2023, it was announced that Littrell would join the coaching staff at Oklahoma, his alma mater, as an offensive analyst.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Littrell
Last edited by OU Guy on Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Seth has been on staff for a few months ....remember reading about it.Former player and good offensive mind.Probably equivalent of Lebby.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
RussC

Post by RussC »

WishBone wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:15 pm Seth has been on staff for a few months ....remember reading about it.Former player and good offensive mind.Probably equivalent of Lebby.
How does his recruiting prowess compare to Lebby’s I wonder?
#Mentally In Portal
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

One thing, Seth has likely built up a relationship with Jackson Arnold. That might be huge. Having won a title here under Bob, he’d have his full support too.

Then we have to see if JJF goes with Lebby and any other changes.

We have the #1 RB coming in too, hope he would stay. And TE Mitchell. Seth having coached in TX will help in TX recruiting, plus he knows the high schools in the prime Dallas region.

Lots of questions. Without playing next week its time to hot the recruiting road too. Faster decision is better. But it needs to be right with so many offensive blue chip recruits and commits.
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:26 pm One thing, Seth has likely built up a relationship with Jackson Arnold. That might be huge. Having won a title here under Bob, he’d have his full support too.

We have the #1 RB coming in too, hope he would stay. And TE Mitchell. Seth having coached in TX will help in TX recruiting, plus he knows the high schools in the prime Dallas region.

Lots of questions. Without playing next week its time to hot the recruiting road too. Faster decision is better. But it needs to be right with so many offensive blue chip recruits and commits.
I thought the difference between analysts and coaches was that analysts could not interact with players. No?
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Rough Rider wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:58 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:26 pm One thing, Seth has likely built up a relationship with Jackson Arnold. That might be huge. Having won a title here under Bob, he’d have his full support too.

I thought the difference between analysts and coaches was that analysts could not interact with players. No?
I think thats during games?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This reporter called it back on Nov 6

——-

Miguel Romero
@Mig_TheBarber
·
Nov 7
Goodbye Jackson Arnold’s everyone thinking this is a good thing, this is a huge set back

Timothy Bailey
@RealTimBailey
Jackson Arnold is not leaving to follow Lebby. That is a fringe theory that’s never really had much legs.

A guy like Seth Litrell with his resume doesn’t turn down OC & HC positions to be an analyst for no reason.

Lebby was never going to be at OU for all of Arnold’s career.
9:43 AM · Nov 7, 2023
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Just my $0.02 worth and I am not slighting Seth Littrell in the least, but I note that he has not coached (but has played) at the level that we are about to compete with in the SEC. I would hope that if Jeff Lebby leaves, BV would look long and hard for someone with extensive (long-term) experience in the SEC, (either an exisiting OC, or maybe a co-OC), someone that has played all the teams multiple times, knows the defenses and their tendencies, what would work and wouldn't work against them and can recruit as well as, be a closer in recruiting.

Some other things that I would think need to be considered, would be what type of offense and how much of a change would it be for the Team 130 offense (can we afford to enter the SEC while learning a completely new offense? - new terminology, techniques, if necessary, etc.) how well they can recruit and what kind of "fit" they are with exisiting staff.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:07 am Just my $0.02 worth and I am not slighting Seth Littrell in the least, but I note that he has not coached (but has played) at the level that we are about to compete with in the SEC. I would hope that if Jeff Lebby leaves, BV would look long and hard for someone with extensive (long-term) experience in the SEC, (either an exisiting OC, or maybe a co-OC), someone that has played all the teams multiple times, knows the defenses and their tendencies, what would work and wouldn't work against them and can recruit as well as, be a closer in recruiting.

Some other things that I would think need to be considered, would be what type of offense and how much of a change would it be for the Team 130 offense (can we afford to enter the SEC while learning a completely new offense? - new terminology, techniques, if necessary, etc.) how well they can recruit and what kind of "fit" they are with exisiting staff.
Those are great questions and observations. It could work both ways as sec won’t know his tendencies either. He coached in recruit rich Dallas metro and likely knew Jackson from HS, since his prior coaching was in Denton.

He’s been on staff and worked with them for a year. And now I read that JJF would likely stay here. If true and if he maintains all offensive staff that would make it much smoother where if you go outside then another OC would want to redo some/all the offensive staff.

I did read one thought is they could make Seth and Emmet Co-OCs. Of course one would have to call the game shots but thats what I read from one blogger.

Listening back to Brent when asked about rumors of Lebby it seems to me he knew about it and made that comment it has its place and time and doesn’t want it to be a distraction. At the time on Fri night we still had a chance at B12 title game, so my take is he likely knew and has known for awhile.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. You have 3 key things, which is keeping your existing good players, keeping your existing commits and recruiting new players. OU has a great offensive pedigree which will help over Miss St (like TE commit Mitchell). We improved from 6-7 to 10-2. And we have great programs like SOUL which I’ve seen many recruits and parents mention.

To me Jackson Arnold is a student of the game and would adjust to any new OC. His decision in crunch time vs BYU told me he can be good under pressure. And if schedule holds we have 3 games prior to SEC games to get him in and settled.

Plus, we still have a chance at a NY6 game. With Lebby gone and my guess is Dillon leaves before that game - we’d get go see an early snip of how Seth would do. And Jackson too. That would be huge for many reasons.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:07 am
Might could lure Kendal Briles away from TCU!
#Mentally In Portal
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

RussC wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:20 am
I would like to move away from any more Baylor connections.
You shall not pass
RussC

Post by RussC »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:29 am
Me too. I should have put in a *kidding*.

Regarding Seth, I believe he has never had the chance to coach the QB position. That raises a question.
#Mentally In Portal
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

RussC wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:34 am

Regarding Seth, I believe he has never had the chance to coach the QB position. That raises a question.
We need to just suck it up and hire a dedicated QB coach or "analyst."
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I got it! Kind of "dark humor". I just wonder how many heads exploded when they read it?
RussC

Post by RussC »

Up North Sooner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am
RussC wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:34 am

We need to just suck it up and hire a dedicated QB coach or "analyst."
I like JJF but if he follows Lebby out, it frees up a coaching slot for a QB coach. Seth could coach the TEs, he’s done that before at Indiana.
#Mentally In Portal