Looks like Lebby haters will get there wish!

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Fly

Looks like Lebby haters will get there wish!

Post by Fly »

Well as far as what Jeff Lebby has achieved at OU so far this year the Sooner offense is rated #4 in total offense so far. Not bad for a team
Still in rebuilding. We have not had a great running back till here of late. He recruited the best QB we could have ask for. The players
Love the guy on top of that. Now I,m very sure there those of you that are happy he will be leaving. You have choices but I must
wonder what you base your opinions on. Lebby was a proven OC for many reasons, as being very sought after by other programs. Let’s
just HOPE you have better insight than BV when he went after Jeff Lebby to take over his Offense for his dream job. I my self will
not recommend anyone, for I do not have the great knowledge that some of you fans have. I myself will again trust in who coach
BV selects in the end. God Bless!

JMOHOP. 🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I don’t think anyone here “hated” him. Fans always have “opinions” aboit coaches and players. And I don’t like anyone labeled as a hater. And fans don’t decide on who is hired/fired/leaves (except aTm).

All your questions are in the Lebby thread so I won’t dig in.
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...don't worry Fly, with Lebby gone, Dillon gone...the chinamen will turn their sights to another coach or player(s) soon enough. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
pippen

Post by pippen »

Didn't hate him. His play-calling reminded me a lot of Leach in 1999. Wonderful results, but no game sense. I was not sad to see Mike leave either. Leach never changed in that regard. If Lebby doesn't, he'll be a journeyman head coach too.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

The tone of some of the posts bordered on the edge of hate, maybe "a very strong dislike" is a better description. All due to Art, Baylor, and the spying activity in Tulsa. It really showed it's ugly head when Art showed up on the sidelines. I would put the attitude right up there with how the fans felt about Riley when he walked out.
RussC

Post by RussC »

There did seem to be a special venom spit his way, even beyond the normal armchair OC variety.

Anyhow I don’t wish him ill, and I’ll easily forget about him.
#Mentally In Portal
pippen

Post by pippen »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:06 pm The tone of some of the posts bordered on the edge of hate, maybe "a very strong dislike" is a better description. All due to Art, Baylor, and the spying activity in Tulsa. It really showed it's ugly head when Art showed up on the sidelines. I would put the attitude right up there with how the fans felt about Riley when he walked out.
Maybe so. Personally, I couldn't have cared less. I REALLY didn't like him last year when his lack of clock management skills lost us at least two, probably three games. I thought he improved somewhat, but not near enough, this year. I guess there was hope that he would continue to improve if he stayed, but I will not miss his apparent lack of game situation awareness, and am very glad he is gone.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

pippen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:17 pm
AllSooner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:06 pm The tone of some of the posts bordered on the edge of hate, maybe "a very strong dislike" is a better description. All due to Art, Baylor, and the spying activity in Tulsa. It really showed it's ugly head when Art showed up on the sidelines. I would put the attitude right up there with how the fans felt about Riley when he walked out.
Maybe so. Personally, I couldn't have cared less. I REALLY didn't like him last year when his lack of clock management skills lost us at least two, probably three games. I thought he improved somewhat, but not near enough, this year. I guess there was hope that he would continue to improve if he stayed, but I will not miss his apparent lack of game situation awareness, and am very glad he is gone.
I would say your "glad he is gone" agrees with your attitude toward his professional side.....I was addressing his personal side. You sound like you had to see his performance on the field before you made judgement.....others made their judgement based on his personal life before he even set foot on the field.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Can we rename the jet sweep ? Call it the Lebby……. :D
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

How I feel about Lebby is summed up by a comment I saw: Lebby will get you 30 yards when you don’t need it. He can’t get you 3 yards when you need it.

Still wish him the best until he plays us.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:32 pm
pippen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:17 pm
I would say your "glad he is gone" agrees with your attitude toward his professional side.....I was addressing his personal side. You sound like you had to see his performance on the field before you made judgement.....others made their judgement based on his personal life before he even set foot on the field.
I was actually super excited when we first got him and was willing to let the personal/character issues pass if he proved to be worth it. Last year I began to question his playcalling but wrote the majority of the offensive woes off to Dillon missing wide open receivers/overthrowing them and changing to a new system. The loss to texas will be the biggest abject failure of an offensive coordinator that I have ever seen in my lifetime however - an 8-5 team humiliated OU not allowing a single score. There were good enough players on that team to at least warrant a few successful field goals. It was inexcusable. This season I wasn't super bothered by the Briles stunt - UNTIL it appeared that it was almost like a deliberate breaking of an unwritten agreement between he and the administration not to bring Briles anywhere around the program. That defiance seemed to color his play calling when obvious play calls in certain situations seemed to be ignored to stick with something nonsensical almost, again out of defiance to prove something maybe. I started to sense that Lebby had a defiant nature and I never was sold on his ability to adjust playcalling in the game to take the best advantage of situations.

As I looked back over our games, the offense was a paper tiger. It ran up a ton of yards that rarely were gained in absolute critical moments - in critical moments it collapsed - almost every single time except for the texas game. Now looking at it, I think there were many empty possessions there too, that had they been capitalized on it would not have come down to a last minute winning TD drive. That is how every game against teams that had a pulse went - we rarely were able to just gain a big lead and sit on it. We would score and get a small lead, and then routinely have 3 and outs until our defense began to tire allowing the other team to sneak back in. That part is critical, because instead of designing a game plan that would have helped mask the defensive woes that we all KNEW existed, the offense exacerbated them over and over again. Then, if we could drive the field in the last minute to score we won (texas) or if we could keep the other team from scoring (UCF, BYU) we would win. If we couldn't do that, we lost (fOSU, KU). We were SOOOOO much better than the Big12 competition outside of texas this year and we made them look on par to us during the game mostly going 3 and out on critical drives in critical games. - particularly getting 2 interceptions late in the KU game and doing NOTHING with them (going 3 and out). After something was working - we would pull some crap gadget play out and usually (like 90% of the time) not only lost massive yards but oftentimes had turnovers. No one will convince me that Lebby has ANY sense whatsoever of in game playcalling. He appeared to be the most tone deaf play caller I have seen in some time and while I know there is no perfect OC - having one that appears to game plan based on their own players strengths and the other teams weaknesses seems like a pretty simple request.

So no, I absolutely do not hate Lebby. I think he is probably a bit of a jerk and question his character and was not convinced he was a good OC but I wish him well while at the same time rejoice at the thought of him no longer being on the staff.
Fly

Post by Fly »

You guys are right I should not used the word hate, my bad, and I,m sorry for that. But now the question comes up, who to replace
Him with? I said I will not recommend for what do I know about OC, simple nothing. But I posted that question on YouTube to who
Was the best top OC,s in the country.

There were a few sites with panels of talk host. I put more stock in those sites then just one persons
opinion. There were many out there that sounded good but would they be a good fit here. Another thing to consider was what worried
Me about Lebby, how long will they say before someone hires them from us? I said I would not recommend a candidate BUT I will throw
a name out there for you guys to investigate. The only reason is they said he is a great recruiter in the big 12 and one of the best
OC that they think Texas a&m may snatch up very quick. He has. NC ring on his finger from the team he guided to that Championship.

His salary is about $750,000 a year now. We beat them Saturday. Garrett Riley, yes I hate that last name, but his name kept pooping
Up on every board. Now I hope he is not the brother of you know who? If so start throwing the rocks at me. :confusedplus: Hey this
Is a big decision to make, a lot of things to consider, I,m sure BV will make a good choice, so I,m just rambling.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Oh my lord, he is related to muleshoe :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: it is his brother, oh my lord. Forget him. My bad :deadhorse:

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Amulet

Post by Amulet »

Whoever is hired we need to get behind him 100%. The last two years are rebuilding and it will continue. We have some very good recruits coming in and that is a positive. Yes I am not happy that we lost 2 games this year but we have made huge progress over last year. I know I havent or ever will judge a coaches play calling because I am not a coach or want to be one.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Well, I went over to "EliteDawgs" to see their reaction. Jeff got the "Venables off the plane" greeting and they carried Zac off on their shoulders. Most of posts I read are super thrilled with Jeff's hiring. It looks like he made the right move, at least for now, all love and no mention of Art or Baylor. I wish him well....he really wasn't a good fit for OU's expectations.