Is Arnold that Good?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
BigIslandSooner

Is Arnold that Good?

Post by BigIslandSooner »

Dillon Gabriel leaving with a year of eligibility left is strange to me, (I could see it if he went with Libby to MSU), but going to Oregon? It only makes sense if he doesn't think he can hold of Arnold. What are you guys hearing about the move?
Jack Mildren is why I always wore #11
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

..well, we're all about to find out.
We'll get our first look in the Alamo Bowl 28 Dec.

Most here believe JA will be OKLAHOMA's next Heisman candidate qb.
I concur.

But, he still has to show us. Hasn't done anything yet! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

BigIslandSooner wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:14 pm Dillon Gabriel leaving with a year of eligibility left is strange to me, (I could see it if he went with Libby to MSU), but going to Oregon? It only makes sense if he doesn't think he can hold of Arnold. What are you guys hearing about the move?
I personally think he left out of respect for OU. He did not want to split the fanbase into factions.

I also think he looked at his NFL grade and it wasn’t as high as he wanted. I think there are many NFL teams he would be better than their top 3 qbs. But going to Oregon be gets away from all familiarity. No Lebby. No OU. All new HC, OC and players. If he can make playoffs there it shows versatility and would enhance his draft stock.

As for JA, no idea of awards but I think he’ll be great. However he’ll have bumps as DCs find ways to surprise him with coverage. I do think he’s as good as advertised but will need to grow into it through mistakes like all QBs do.
Last edited by OU Guy on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
Fly

Post by Fly »

Agree with the rest. Dillon most likely got a handsome amount to transfer, & at the same time gave a opening for Arnold to step in. There
was always a chance Arnold might beat him out. No one can say, but with one year remaining & he could make a substantial amount
Of money & going to another great program kind of a no brainer. No hard feeling on ether side, We all love that young man, & will
be pulling for him in every game.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

You just called Oregon a "great program"!!!???
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

To answer OP ? YES
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

The last time I doubted a 5* can't miss player, it was Adrian Peterson. I had seen too many can't miss players that only got their ratings because they were bigger than their HS opposition and came crashing down to reality very quickly. I made the trek to Norman to watch his 1st game as a Sooner (I believe it was against Bowling Green). Adrian convinced me very quickly when he ran over the Big DE that was ready to stop him for a 2-yd gain.

How good is Arnold? We won't know until he gets blind-sided by a huge DE. If he gets up and proceeds to take us to a TD, we will know he is the winner we all have wanted.

As for DG - I have read/heard many places that he would be going pro at the end of this year. I suspect he didn't get the pro rating he wanted and when Venables didn't guarantee him a starting spot, he looked around and went to the highest bidder - which paid more than a 5th round draft pick would receive.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

Just listened to Ikard & Lehman. Oregon's 1st game for next year is at Hawai'i. That could have been the push that got DG to be a duck.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

One thing, we rarely used our TE in games under Lebby. And of course we used WRs in run game and in short passing sideways game.

This comment by a TE tells me in an indirect way that Lebby was not using them but JJF will. And if we use TE more that can only help Jackson with more/better options

In Brent I Trust :D
captnop

Post by captnop »

Bottom Line ... the JFA must start. You can not ask him to burn a RS and then sit on the bench part of next year. Eventually Arnold would take his job. Or Portal. If DG goes NFL he's a 5+ rounder which is 500K or less. According to Matt Rhule good portal QB's are making 1.5 mill. With Nike $$$ you know then can pay. Good move for him, and good for OU. No drama between him and JA. It's a Win- Win. In an old school world he would come back final year, JA would sit faithfully behind him and wait his turn. That world is long gone.
SoonerinLA

Post by SoonerinLA »

Just my opinion but I think DG left mostly for money that OU could not match. I don't think he was afraid to compete with Arnold. I think he would have won that competition. I have high hopes for Arnold and think he will be good. But let's remember he is basically a freshman in terms of starting games and cut him some slack when things go wrong.
:horns:
BigIslandSooner

Post by BigIslandSooner »

I do Love the way Arnold's ball gets there in a hurry.
Jack Mildren is why I always wore #11
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Earlier it sounded like DG was heading to NFL, so JA was being prepped for starting 2024. Then DG saw $2million to start for Oregon versus carrying a clipboard for $500K…..easy decision….. :dillon: