Archie ....this aint right?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Archie ....this aint right?

Post by WishBone »

Arch Manning made $2.8 Million with NIL at UT this year and never started a game while Brock Purdy is standing to possibly recieve the MVP award in the NFL with Stats to back it only made $870K.Please tell me "whats wrong with this picture?"
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

WishBone wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:41 pm Arch Manning made $2.8 Million with NIL at UT this year and never started a game while Brock Purdy is standing to possibly recieve the MVP award in the NFL with Stats to back it only made $870K.Please tell me "whats wrong with this picture?"
Manning has a 'brand' name'. Should that matter? No. But it does.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Yes and it sucks...Its gonna ruin the game as we know it?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

WishBone wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:41 pm Arch Manning made $2.8 Million with NIL at UT this year and never started a game while Brock Purdy is standing to possibly recieve the MVP award in the NFL with Stats to back it only made $870K.Please tell me "whats wrong with this picture?"
An imbalance like that will correct itself…eventually…..UT wasted their $2.8 million and SF got a bargain ……

NIL is the part of the equation that is out of whack, i think eventually the NIL providers will come together to stop wasting money and collectively agree to some set of rules maybe require playing time for payment, then some player sues and the whole thing goes to court again…..

Purdy should renegotiate now, but also later his second contract will be big
Fly

Post by Fly »

We all agree it is a shame. But who do you think has the power to change what they created? No matter what anyone thinks or
Hopes I don,t see it changes. They created a monster they can,t control. College players making more than there coaches. Fathers
becoming these kids agents. It will only get worse.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Yeah......how's ole Archie working out for ya all you Texas Doners??? Hasn't even taken a snap yet...
Big $$$ for a 3rd string bench warmer.
aka Crimson47
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

And if Arch stays (I woudn't if I were him), it'll flush another $2.8 mil of NIL down the drain......$5.6 mil just for sittin' on the bench....watching the time roll away.
SoonerGGS

Post by SoonerGGS »

IF we are gonna have NIL, Freshman that are out of high school and haven't played a down of college should all have a flat basic NIL amount.
RussC

Post by RussC »

SoonerGGS wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:49 pm IF we are gonna have NIL, Freshman that are out of high school and haven't played a down of college should all have a flat basic NIL amount.
A collective bargaining agreement would be required to make any meaningful reform. In order to have a flat salary for incoming freshman that would stand up in court, a CBA would have to define that salary provision and a players union would have to agree.
#Mentally In Portal
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

RussC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:16 am
SoonerGGS wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:49 pm IF we are gonna have NIL, Freshman that are out of high school and haven't played a down of college should all have a flat basic NIL amount.
A collective bargaining agreement would be required to make any meaningful reform. In order to have a flat salary for incoming freshman that would stand up in court, a CBA would have to define that salary provision and a players union would have to agree.
And the differences between the haves and have nots would make it unworkable. The better teams would underpay and the lesser would be forced to overpay.
humblesooner

Post by humblesooner »

How much does Purdy make in NIL (commercials, endorsements, etc)?
That is what should be compared to an NIL deal.

EDIT: But, I understand the premise of the conversation.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

humblesooner wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:44 pm How much does Purdy make in NIL (commercials, endorsements, etc)?
That is what should be compared to an NIL deal.

EDIT: But, I understand the premise of the conversation.
Good Point, humble......My research shows that Brock has a net worth of ~$6 million in just 2 years in the NFL. He is affiliated with Toyota and Alaska Airlines at present. So he is doing okay.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Soonr80 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:07 pm
RussC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:16 am
And the differences between the haves and have nots would make it unworkable. The better teams would underpay and the lesser would be forced to overpay.
I’m not saying that I’ve described a workable system. Only that there is no way to cap rookie salaries without a union and a CBA.
#Mentally In Portal
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

You are right it’s just going to take longer for market forces to stabilize the situation.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Paying a HS kid $2.8 million or whatever to go to a university and not play football is akin to the old “mark to market” accounting Enron used back in the day………

There is a bubble in NIL currently but it will deflate once boosters realize it is the program that is valuable not one HS kid like Arch Manning..and MORE TO THE POINT …until and unless there are national championships no one gets paid…..