OKLAHOMA vs. AZ in ALAMO BOWL: Game Thread...

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Chinaman

OKLAHOMA vs. AZ in ALAMO BOWL: Game Thread...

Post by OU Chinaman »

...as 2023 wanes, the SOONERS face a resurgent Wildcat program in San Antonio tonight.
SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS:SOONERS

The first start for ballyhooed QB Jackson Arnold. Expect some big plays and maybe a few hiccups too.
New Offensive Co-Coordinators Littrell and Finley look to continue and hopefully even ramp up the production of the Big 12's leading offense.

Venables Defense is probably as healthy and ready TO PLAY. as they've been all season. I WANT A SHUTOUT!!!

Expect to see Gavin Sawchuck continue his late season surge as RB1.

Hard to believe it will be Drake Stoops last game as a SOONER. He will be missed!

No way do I see OKLAHOMA losing to AZ.
In fact, I think OU wins going away. :cool:

SOONERS 30-10!

ROLL MACHINE, ROLL!!!

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

OU Chinaman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:15 am ...as 2023 wanes, the SOONERS face a resurgent Wildcat program in San Antonio tonight.
SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS:SOONERS

The first start for ballyhooed QB Jackson Arnold. Expect some big plays and maybe a few hiccups too.
New Offensive Co-Coordinators Littrell and Finley look to continue and hopefully even ramp up the production of the Big 12's leading offense.

Venables Defense is probably as healthy and ready TO PLAY. as they've been all season. I WANT A SHUTOUT!!!

Expect to see Gavin Sawchuck continue his late season surge as RB1.

Hard to believe it will be Drake Stoops last game as a SOONER. He will be missed!

No way do I see OKLAHOMA losing to AZ.
In fact, I think OU wins going away. :cool:

SOONERS 30-10!

ROLL MACHINE, ROLL!!!

I hope you're right on, but I honestly am not sure what to expect.
Arizona is a bit of an unknown. But so are we, for that matter, given all the post-season turmoil.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Scene Setter

In Brent I Trust :D
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I'm not sure how active I will be on this thread. I'm dealing with internet problems (satellite) making it almost impossible to make a post quickly. I will be reading (hopefully).

I see a 38-28 type score. OU, of course.

Happy New Year to all.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I will be interested in the situational play calling and game management first and foremost. This will be the first test to show me that my reservations about Seth were unfounded (I truly hope they are).

Following that, I think we see a confident JA preview his talents for Sooner fans, with no holdbacks (limits on number or types of plays called). While I am concerned about the OL (but as we've seen with the younger players on defense), I think the younger OL players will rise to the challenge. As OU Chinaman said, there are bound to be some hiccups, (or as I like to say, potholes), hopefully they will be few and not impactful.

I've read/heard that the WR for Arizona will give our DB's and S problems. I'm not so sure. After all, UofA didn't exactly dominate the Pac-12 this year. They like the long ball, and we covered that very well all year. The LB's and short middle length pass defense was an issue that I am hoping we have solved during these 15 extra Bowl practices. Also, I hope that at the same time, we found a pass rush, because I believe we can hold our own with their running game. If the defense plays at or above the level they did for most of the year, I am confident of the win.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This game is a chance for youngsters. Also, curious to see how Seth calls it. He has not had time to change systems, so its about how he makes calls (run vs pass) and how he makes decisions.

Of course the biggest storyline is Jackson Arnold and vs a salty Arizona team. I think end of tbe day he’ll do great and will also leave some plays on field. One good note is Seth has been around him since he arrived. That makes a big difference.

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Fly

Post by Fly »

Well I seem to always be causes of games as this. So many unknowns. Yes I do think JA can have a break out start. But before I will
Confirm that, I must see what the OL will or can do.We have a different crew up front this time around for the most part. AZ defense
Is pretty darn good. As said earlier there team was young starting the season this year. They have been improving as the year has gone
by. There not going to be push overs. Now if, our OL can preform good & give JA a pocket to pass out of with enough time, it can be
a Katey bar the door game for us. But if not with a freshman QB with little protection, what can any one expect? That’s my thinking
& we shall see?

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

WOW

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

One other note, JA is a great runner. I expect some designated qb runs. I think we try and establish run and then go deep a few times early to give Wildcats something to think about.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...there goes the shutout!

OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...show me something Jackson. Go answer!