Venables Announces Defensive Staff Change

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
47Straight

Post by 47Straight »

January 04, 2024 | Football

NORMAN — University of Oklahoma head football coach Brent Venables announced Thursday that OU and defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Ted Roof have mutually agreed to part ways.

Roof spent the last two seasons with the Sooners.

"I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Ted," said Venables, who hired Roof from Clemson in December 2021. "I told him Wednesday I made a decision to go in a new direction at defensive coordinator and offered him an opportunity to remain on our staff in a different role. He explained that he has a deep desire to keep coaching and will look to do that at a different school.

"Ted is an incredibly knowledgeable coach and teacher, and his players love playing for him. Our program is thankful for his extreme dedication the last two seasons and for helping make us better."

After ranking 98th in scoring defense (30.0 ppg) and 121st in total defense (461.0 ypg) in 2022, OU improved in both categories in 2023, ranking 46th (23.5 ppg) and 78th (389.4 ypg), respectively. It also ranks second nationally in 2023 in interceptions (20), sixth in turnovers gained (26), seventh in tackles for loss per game (7.5), eighth in tackles for loss per game (7.3) and 14th in third-down conversion percentage defense (.311; up from .409 in 2022).

Venables said a search to fill the defensive coordinator position will begin immediately.
BrngBkLilRed

Post by BrngBkLilRed »

I think Grinch is still on the market :D :D
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

BrngBkLilRed wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:53 pm I think Grinch is still on the market :D :D
:dude: That's not funny. :dude:
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I have seen Zach Arnett's name tossed around as one possible replacement, but as DC AND LB coach.

I think Bates gets moved to sole DC and they hire a LB coach

Personally, while I'm dreaming, I'd love to see them hire Glenn Schumann.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Glad to hear it although I must confess, I'm a little surprised.

Guess that's our queue to start speculating on a replacement.
captnop

Post by captnop »

soonerTroll2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:29 pm
BrngBkLilRed wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:53 pm I think Grinch is still on the market :D :D
:dude: That's not funny. :dude:
You are gonna give me an anxiety attack!!
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

We will see, Seems like there are great DC out there but i have no idea who we would get……….

I bet BV knows a name already….. :BV: :BV: :BV:
Three5s!

Post by Three5s! »

I wonder if this signals that Brent's defense is too complex given that you can lose guys to the portal before they even learn the system? I have been worried about learning curve time, especially with the gaps in our zone D against Zona. That seemed to be a flaw in the scheme that we were not able to adjust to. I know it is better to get beat over the middle than on the perimeter as there should be more help, but we also have to adjust to stop a play that is repeatedly beating us.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Three5s! wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm I wonder if this signals that Brent's defense is too complex given that you can lose guys to the portal before they even learn the system? I have been worried about learning curve time, especially with the gaps in our zone D against Zona. That seemed to be a flaw in the scheme that we were not able to adjust to. I know it is better to get beat over the middle than on the perimeter as there should be more help, but we also have to adjust to stop a play that is repeatedly beating us.
I started calling it our donut defense. Big hole in the middle.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I cannot see a new, outside DC to run BV's defense. He is NOT going to change defenses when things are on the upswing.

I would lean to Valai as the DC giving Bates about a 20% shot. Whether BV hires a LB coach is another question. Whether he does or not, I sure hope he has someone NEW coach special teams because that was a horrible group in 2023.
texsa sucks!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

It was time,I wonder if any of the DL misses had anything to do with the Present DC(TR) at the time?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

cushcreekmont wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:29 pm I cannot see a new, outside DC to run BV's defense. He is NOT going to change defenses when things are on the upswing.

I would lean to Valai as the DC giving Bates about a 20% shot. Whether BV hires a LB coach is another question. Whether he does or not, I sure hope he has someone NEW coach special teams because that was a horrible group in 2023.
You're probably right, but if he did go outside this might be a good place to start looking:

PHIL PARKER, IOWA HAWKEYES
Iowa fielded the worst offense in the Power Five and was the second-worst nationally in terms of expected points added (EPA) per play. Among the 12 worst offenses in that department, the Hawkeyes were the only team that made a bowl game and did so pretty comfortably.

But I think BV already has a plan. He's not the type to bet on the come. I suspect he already knows who he wants and I trust him to get it right.
Got to respect him. That cannot have been an easy move for him given his history with Roof.
paboomersooner

Post by paboomersooner »

Does this look legit?

BREAKING NEWS🚨: Oklahoma is expected to hire former Clemson staffer and current Jacksonville State’s defensive coordinator Zac Alley to be its new defensive coordinator, per 247Sports.

Zac Alley helped Jacksonville State win 9 games and rank 33rd nationally in scoring defense in its first season at the FBS level. He previously worked under Brent Venables at Clemson in 2012-2018.
boomermet

Post by boomermet »

As long as he picks some one who has experienced PASS DEFENSE
RussC

Post by RussC »

paboomersooner wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:00 pm Does this look legit?

BREAKING NEWS🚨: Oklahoma is expected to hire former Clemson staffer and current Jacksonville State’s defensive coordinator Zac Alley to be its new defensive coordinator, per 247Sports.

Zac Alley helped Jacksonville State win 9 games and rank 33rd nationally in scoring defense in its first season at the FBS level. He previously worked under Brent Venables at Clemson in 2012-2018.
Sounds plausible on the face of it
#Mentally In Portal