c) New DC
d)Very Young QB
e) Revamped OL
d) but a lot Experience returning on Defense

Lets hear it.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

WishBone wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:06 pm What are your feelings goin into the SEC with:
a) the Toughest Schedule in Conference
b)New OC
c) New DC
d)Very Young QB
e) Revamped OL

Lets hear it.
a) Welcome to the SEC, baptisim by fire - at least we know three things going into the spring. 1) what the schedule is and where games will be played. 2) the SEC refs can call/will call holding and PI penalties - 3) a good accounting of ourselves (2 losses or less) and we will fit nicely into the first CFP 12 team tournament.
b) I have reservations and am hoping they are proven wrong.
c) I have reservations and am hoping they are proven wrong.
d) I am confident JA will adjust quickly and grow into the QB that we want/need/expect. He had some pretty amazing numbers in the Alamo Bowl, so hopefully that was his low spot for his career and he climbs the ladder ala Mayfield from here.
e) The OL has been a consistent issue for this FB team for some reason for the past decade or so - While we need both experience and size, we seem to sign players with one or the other, but not both. My hope is that BB can put an OL out there that can/will play together at a very high level.
f) If our new DC can plug the short and medium WR and TE routes that seem to be almost perpetually open over the middle, while allowing the younger guys to experience trial by fire to gain valuable game experience, I think we could suprise a lot of people and not just in the SEC.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

WishBone wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:06 pm What are your feelings goin into the SEC with:
a) the Toughest Schedule in Conference
b)New OC
c) New DC
d)Very Young QB
e) Revamped OL

Lets hear it.
a) toughest schedule in an overrated conference (I'd be glad to elaborate if anyone's interested)
b,c) both upgrades IMO
d) young QB who threw for 360 yards against a really good team in his first start(INT's notwithstanding).
e) two stud freshmen coming in, talented recruits from last year, portal acquisitions that look pretty good.
d?) experience + great new talent coming in

I like our prospects.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...in this new world of college football, it would seem the Portal & NIL make dramatic changes in a team's fortune from year to year.
I'll echo PM with the SEC being more than a tad overrated. (At least top to bottom. In fact, in that context I think the Big 12 is tops currently.)

The new OC duo is intriguing, and maybe even concerning somewhat, but those who disliked Lebby's offense and play calling should be open to these changes.

The new DC...I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Coach Venables. Was always mystified by Roof being BV's first DC in his first crack as HC, but feel like ZA could be something special.

Arnold looked about like I thought he would in the Bowl Game. Awesome talent and potential, but just a bit behind the 8 ball with experience and thus judgement.
Still think he's OU's next Heisman candidate QB.

Team 130 looks to have the recruits and portal transfers needed for Coach B to put together another solid OL and I expect him to.

Was more than a little surprised to see AZ WR's running loose without an OKLAHOMA defender even close, time after time in the middle of the zone D.
That can't happen this fall, or it could be a very long season.

Overall, I'm feeling good about the direction and culture Venables is establishing at OKLAHOMA. I think the SOONERS will challenge for the top tier in their first season. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well my concern is with the OC,s . That is still In question & we shall see. If we can get a good running game going I think we will
Be fine. I have been saying we need a great running back to go with our passing game. That showed in the NC game with Wolverines
Monday night. That little running back was the difference in that game. There is still a lot of question marks until next season. I think
The defense should be better. I think JA will look really good, after working with our receivers after spring. He has the arm no doubt,
But getting the timing down is the key, & that only comes with working with these guys.

JMOHOP 🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I have a feeling we go undefeated and win the natty……just being real….. :ou: :ou: :ou: :BV: :BV: :BV: