2024 Offensive Line Starters

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
ColleyvilleSooner

2024 Offensive Line Starters

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Let's assume we don't get Lance Heard from LSU (which I am hearing is not likely) and just pencil in our current roster. Who starts next season on the OL?

LT: Jacob Sexton, Jr.; Logan Howland, R-Fr.
LG: Michael Tarquin, Sr. (USC transfer); Heath Ozaeta, R-Fr.
Center: Troy Everett, R-Jr. or Joshua Bates, R.-Fr.
RG: Febechi Nwaiwu, Jr. (UNT transfer); Eugene Brooks, Fr.
RT: Spencer Brown, Sr. (Mich. St. transfer); Jake Taylor, R.Soph.

Maybe Sexton stays at RT and Spencer Brown is LT, or Tarquin starts at LT and Ozaeta at LG? Overall we seem pretty thin. There were a few not so good HS recruiting classes with low numbers and numerous busts going back 3-5 years, and it really shows now.

On the bright side, the 2023 and 2024 OL classes seem very promising. Ozaeta will be a very good player and Howland is a former TE who has the agility to be a standout LT once he adds some weight. I am hoping Bates can come on and take over the center position. Brooks was so impressive at the Under Armor camp that he may be a factor at guard as a true freshman next season, and other true freshman may contribute.

Nwaiwu was a walk-on and freshman AA at UNT and was injured as a sophomore part of last season. He is supposedly very underrated and is a very physical and athletic OG. Tarquin played out of position at USC and it showed and he lost his starting job at RT (good job LR), but he has many starts at Florida. Brown has had mixed reviews and Gabe Ikard is not impressed with his play at MSU, but he has been around a long time and frankly we don't have many choices at tackle. Sexton should be pretty solid at one tackle slot.

Any thoughts? The bad news is we are pretty thin and have a lot of new unknown factors. The good news is BB is the best in the business and usually works wonders with what he has.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:36 pm Let's assume we don't get Lance Heard from LSU (which I am hearing is not likely) and just pencil in our current roster. Who starts next season on the OL?

Maybe Sexton stays at RT and Spencer Brown is LT, or Tarquin starts at LT and Ozaeta at LG? Overall we seem pretty thin. There were a few not so good HS recruiting classes with low numbers and numerous busts going back 3-5 years, and it really shows now.

On the bright side, the 2023 and 2024 OL classes seem very promising. Ozaeta will be a very good player and Howland is a former TE who has the agility to be a standout LT once he adds some weight. I am hoping Bates can come on and take over the center position. Brooks was so impressive at the Under Armor camp that he may be a factor at guard as a true freshman next season, and other true freshman may contribute.

Nwaiwu was a walk-on and freshman AA at UNT and was injured as a sophomore part of last season. He is supposedly very underrated and is a very physical and athletic OG. Tarquin played out of position at USC and it showed and he lost his starting job at RT (good job LR), but he has many starts at Florida. Brown has had mixed reviews and Gabe Ikard is not impressed with his play at MSU, but he has been around a long time and frankly we don't have many choices at tackle. Sexton should be pretty solid at one tackle slot.

Any thoughts? The bad news is we are pretty thin and have a lot of new unknown factors. The good news is BB is the best in the business and usually works wonders with what he has.
I think it would be a mistake not to factor in Daniel Akinkunmi and Eddy Pierre-Louis. Granted, they're raw, but huge upside.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Pokerman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:58 pm
ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:36 pm Let's assume we don't get Lance Heard from LSU (which I am hearing is not likely) and just pencil in our current roster. Who starts next season on the OL?

I think it would be a mistake not to factor in Daniel Akinkunmi and Eddy Pierre-Louis. Granted, they're raw, but huge upside.
Agreed on Brooks & EPL. Either because they earn it or because they are forced into it due to injuries. I anticipate seeing several different faces at center & LG.

Akinkunmi has HUGE upside, but raw may be an understatement for him. I think he's only played in 2 real games ever, including the UA game a few weeks ago. That's the downside. The upside is he likely received better coaching at the NFL Academy than he would have at any high school in America. In a perfect world, I bet BB would redshirt him, but given the work ethic we saw out of him at the UA Game practices, he may be a fast riser & force his way into the equation, too.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Brisket Wrote:
"Akinkunmi has HUGE upside" Yes and I will be surprised if he dont see early playing time next year.And Im excited to see how Heath Ozaeta turns out as far as a player goes.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Here is my stab at a prediction....

LT: Jacob Sexton, Jr...............................Eugene Brooks, Fr.
LG: Jake Taylor, Jr.................................Spencer Brown, 5-year (MSU Transfer).......Daniel Akinkunmi, Fr.
C: Troy Everett, R-Jr...............................Logan Howland, So..............................Isiah Autry, Fr.
RG: Michael Tarquin, Sr. (USC transfer)........Joshua Bates, So.................................Josh Aisosa, Fr.
RT: Febechi Nwaiwu, Jr. (UNT transfer)........Heath Ozaeta, So................................Eddy Pierre-Louis, Fr.

All of the talk I've hear about Nwaiwu's great footwork suggests he could be placed at RT. This is a stretch, I know.....but hey, it's the off season.
If Tarquin's play at USC is any indication, OU does not place him on the outside. Rather, Tarquin works to get back to his playing weight at Florida to beef up the interior next to a relatively "light" Everett.
Jake Taylor begins to become the player anticipated when he was recruited.
Sexton plays well enough next year that it will be very unlikely OU keeps him for the 2025 season.

There is a lot of talent on next year's OL. It's not really that thin.......it's just thin on experience.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

StatesEye wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:41 pm Here is my stab at a prediction....

LG: Jake Taylor, Jr.................................Spencer Brown, 5-year (MSU Transfer).......Daniel Akinkunmi, Fr.
C: Troy Everett, R-Jr...............................Logan Howland, So..............................Isiah Autry, Fr.
RG: Michael Tarquin, Sr. (USC transfer)........Joshua Bates, So.................................Josh Aisosa, Fr.
RT: Febechi Nwaiwu, Jr. (UNT transfer)........Heath Ozaeta, So................................Eddy Pierre-Louis, Fr.

All of the talk I've hear about Nwaiwu's great footwork suggests he could be placed at RT. This is a stretch, I know.....but hey, it's the off season.
If Tarquin's play at USC is any indication, OU does not place him on the outside. Rather, Tarquin works to get back to his playing weight at Florida to beef up the interior next to a relatively "light" Everett.
Sexton plays well enough next year that it will be very unlikely OU keeps him for the 2025 season.

There is a lot of talent on next year's OL. It's not really that thin.......it's just thin on experience.
I hope you are wrong about Joshua Bates moving to guard. I remember he was the player of the year in the state of Colorado. Quite an accomplishment as a high school center.

I did find it strange he got zero snaps against Arizona. He is only a soph, so he has time to live up to his billing.
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Interesting configuration. Nwaiwu has been an IOL at center in HS and guard at UNT so my guess is he will remain on the inside, probably at guard. I have heard great things about Heath Ozaeta who will be a R-Fr. next season. I like the fact he can play inside or out. He was previously a reserve RT so maybe he starts there next season if he develops. I agree Tarquin is better off at OG given his struggles at USC. True Freshman Eugene Brooks will likely get a lot of playing time and he can play inside or out.

The latest possible twist is the Hatchett brothers from Washington are entering the portal and were both 4 stars high on OU out of HS. The younger one Landon Hatchett played in nine games at center for UW as a true freshman and then got hurt late in the season and missed the playoffs. He is ahead of OU's Joshua Bates and I presume Landon would start at center if he transferred to OU. The older brother is fourth year OG Geirean Hatchett who was a regular on their OL (given an award as best OL in the country) this past season and started four games. He is visiting OU and I hope this younger brother does too. If we get both, we are in business with two ready to play OL.

Frankly my gut feeling is the OL lineup for next season will be something none of us predict. Sexton is the only sure starter. One of many possibilities:

LT: Jacob Sexton.
LG: Michael Tarquin (or G. Hatchett if he transfers to OU).
Center: Landon Hatchett if he comes to OU.
RG: Febechi Nwaiwu or Eugene Brooks.
RT: Heath Ozaeta.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Colleyville, you sure have some good posts (only 21). Glad to see you on the board...

I'm a fan... :BV: :ou:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Oklahombre wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:22 pm
StatesEye wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:41 pm Here is my stab at a prediction....

I hope you are wrong about Joshua Bates moving to guard. I remember he was the player of the year in the state of Colorado. Quite an accomplishment as a high school center.

I did find it strange he got zero snaps against Arizona. He is only a soph, so he has time to live up to his billing.
A very uneducated guess on my part, Hombre. This certainly isn't a wish list on my part. Anyway, a more realistic depth chart will have Ozaeta and Bates at multiple positions as backup. I just wanted to list all of the scholarship offensive lineman once. If Everett goes down with an injury, Bates likely takes over at C. If both Everett and one of the guards are lost, then Bates probably stays at C and either Brown or Ozaeta takes the vacated guard spot.....or even Nwaiwu to the vacated guard spot and then Brooks to RT (yikes). At least that's how I would think about it under the proposed starting lineup.

Anyway, there will probably be a lot of surprises on the two-deep lineup by next August.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I love all these posts on the Offensive Line. I record every game just to go back and watch the play of both lines. It's really hard to see the play during the live broadcast. It really gets on my nerves when the game announcers completely ignore the inside players. :boohoo: :dude:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Agreed. Outside of QB, the OL is the most important aspect of offensive success.....in many ways more important.....yet receives virtually no attention at all. Taint fair!!
RussC

Post by RussC »

Oklahombre wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:46 pm I love all these posts on the Offensive Line.
Me too. And free of Bedenbaugh bashing, thankfully!
#Mentally In Portal
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

A lot of good info on the OL in this OU Insider discussion starting around the 14 min mark to around the 28 min mark.

Also, very eye-opening discussion about NIL at Oklahoma.

RussC

Post by RussC »

StatesEye wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:34 am A lot of good info on the OL in this OU Insider discussion starting around the 14 min mark to around the 28 min mark.

Also, very eye-opening discussion about NIL at Oklahoma.

Thanks for posting. I too was struck when Drumm said (my paraphrasing) some of the high-NIL OL are getting *coordinator(!)* money. Stupid money. OU and the other blue bloods are not willing to pay stupid money. Yet there are those who wish OU would pay stupid money.
#Mentally In Portal
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

More good discussion on next year's OL.
Sam Mayes, former All American at Ok State gives his analysis.