Big 12 Women's Basketball Standings and Rankings - Jan 22, 2024

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Big 12 Women's Basketball Standings and Rankings - Jan 22, 2024

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here are the current Big 12 Women's Basketball Standings and Rankings. (I will update the AP and Coaches rankings when they are published.)

1st - Kansas State ............ 7-0 ..... 18-1 ...... NET #8 ----> AP #4
2nd - Iowa State .............. 6-1 ...... 12-5 ..... NET #38 --> AP RV28
3rd - Oklahoma ............... 5-1 ....... 11-6 ..... NET #53
T4th - Texas .................. 5-2 ...... 18-2 ..... NET #2 ----> AP #10
T4th - West Virginia ......... 5-2 ...... 16-2 ..... NET #23 --> AP #24
6th - Baylor .................. 4-2 ...... 15-2 ..... NET #13 ---> AP #13
7th - Oklahoma State ...... 4-3 ....... 11-7 ..... NET #51
8th - Texas Tech ............. 3-4 ....... 14-6 .... NET #69
T9th - BYU .................... 2-5 ...... 12-8 ..... NET #94
T9th - Houston ............... 2-5 ...... 11-7 ...... NET #100
T9th - Kansas ................ 2-5 ...... 9-9 ..... NET #46
12th - Cincinnati ............ 1-5 ....... 9-8 ..... NET #110
13th - TCU ................... 1-6 ....... 14-4 .... NET #35 (Their two forfeits do not count against their overall record.)
14th - UCF .................... 0-6 ...... 9-7 ..... NET #90

In mid-week action the schedule for the Big 12 Women is below.

Monday - Jan 22nd:
Kansas State at Baylor - 7:30 PM CST - Fox Sports 1 - K-State is going to be without Ayoka Lee for about 3.5 weeks. Because of that, I think Baylor holds an advantage inside over K-State and that they can handle the guards of K-State. At home Baylor should win this game and give the Wildcats their first loss in conference.

Tuesday - Jan 23rd:
UCF at TCU - 6:30 PM CST - ESPN+ - TCU will be playing their first game in over a week after two forfeits due to a player shortage. UCF has a chance to win their first conference game in Ft. Worth. They should probably be able to do that. It will be interesting to see how many players that TCU suits up for the game.

Wednesday - Jan 24th:
Oklahoma State at Cincinnati - 5 PM CST - ESPN+ - Oklahoma State is 4-3 in the Big 12 and has a much better NET ranking than does Cincinnati. Cincy desperately needs a win at home. Maybe OSU can win on the road, maybe Cincy can hold home court. Toss-Up Game.

Houston at Texas Tech - 6 PM CST - ESPN+ - I think the Red Raiders win this game at home unless the two Houston guards Boyd and Blair have a big game for Houston. I pick Texas Tech in this one.

Oklahoma at Texas - 6 PM CST - ESPNU - Oklahoma is playing their second straight road game. I think Texas is playing better as they adjust to playing without Roni Harmon. Texas has good size and good players in the front court. I just do not think OU can handle the Texas bigs for 40 minutes. I dislike my conclusion on this game. I think OU drops this game in Austin.

Iowa State at Kansas - 6:30 PM CST - ESPN+ - The Cyclones can move into a first place tie with Kansas State if Baylor defeats the Wildcats and the Cyclones defeat Kansas. Kansas is playing at home and trying to be a factor in the Big 12 and must be disappointed to be 2-5 in conference play. Surprisingly, their NET rankings are within 10 points of each other.

West Virginia and BYU do not play a mid-week game this week.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Monday - Jan 22nd: (This is what I said about the game Monday afternoon.)
Kansas State at Baylor - 7:30 PM CST - Fox Sports 1 - K-State is going to be without Ayoka Lee for about 3.5 weeks. Because of that, I think Baylor holds an advantage inside over K-State and that they can handle the guards of K-State. At home Baylor should win this game and give the Wildcats their first loss in conference.

Kansas State 58 - Baylor 55

The Wildcats started Sanchez in place of the injured Lee and she played all of 5 minutes. K-State moved to playing Maupin, a 6'3" Forward, who can run the floor and shoot from outside as well as inside. She scored 16 along with Sundell and Gregory for K-State.

Baylor just was not the team that I thought they were. Most of the Bears looked "let's just say they were not a playing weight" to be kind and maybe they were not in real good shape for running the floor for most of the game. They looked slow, not particularly focused and the did not play together much. I am not sure I understand how they have only loss 3 games this year.

K-State remains undefeated in Big 12 play.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Tuesday - Jan 23rd:

UCF at TCU - 6:30 PM CST - ESPN+ - TCU will be playing their first game in over a week after two forfeits due to a player shortage. UCF has a chance to win their first conference game in Ft. Worth. They should probably be able to do that. It will be interesting to see how many players that TCU suits up for the game.

TCU 66 - UCF 60 - After two forfeits by TCU due to the lack of players, the Horned Frogs stepped up and defeated UCF by using 6 players for all but 8 minutes. One TCU player played in her first game for 1 minute. One player had only played in 6 games. Two of the TCU starters had their first start on this game. TCU jumped out to a 27-15 lead in the 1Q, but UCF battled back to trail by just one point at 51-50 after 3Q. TCU outscored UCF 16-10 in the final quarter for the win. TCU should probably get a tip of the hat from their fans for the effort and the win. TCU is now 2-6 in the conference with UCF dropping to 0-7.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

There were four game on Wednesday night.

Oklahoma State at Cincinnati - 5 PM CST - ESPN+ - Oklahoma State is 4-3 in the Big 12 and has a much better NET ranking than does Cincinnati. Cincy desperately needs a win at home. Maybe OSU can win on the road, maybe Cincy can hold home court. Toss-Up Game.

Cincinnati 58 - Oklahoma State 56 - The game went own to the wire as OSU turned the over with 5 seconds left and Cincy scored on a layup with 2 seconds left. The Bearcats move to 2-5 in conference with the Cowgirls dropping down to 4-4.

Houston at Texas Tech - 6 PM CST - ESPN+ - I think the Red Raiders win this game at home unless the two Houston guards Boyd and Blair have a big game for Houston. I pick Texas Tech in this one.

Texas Tech 66 - Houston 48 - Texas Tech shot 52% from the field and led throughout the game. Good shooting will win games. Tech is now 4-4 with Houston dropping to 2-6.

Oklahoma at Texas - 6 PM CST - ESPNU - Oklahoma is playing their second straight road game. I think Texas is playing better as they adjust to playing without Roni Harmon. Texas has good size and good players in the front court. I just do not think OU can handle the Texas bigs for 40 minutes. I dislike my conclusion on this game. I think OU drops this game in Austin.

Oklahoma 91 - Texas 87 - The Sooners ran the Longhorns out of their new gym in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Big Win for Oklahoma and I am very glad I was wrong about thinking that Texas would win.

Iowa State at Kansas - 6:30 PM CST - ESPN+ - The Cyclones can move into a first place tie with Kansas State if Baylor defeats the Wildcats and the Cyclones defeat Kansas. Kansas is playing at home and trying to be a factor in the Big 12 and must be disappointed to be 2-5 in conference play. Surprisingly, their NET rankings are within 10 points of each other.

Kansas 60 - Iowa State 58 - This is the second last second game of the night. Two free throws with 10 seconds left by Kansas ensured the victory as I-State made a three in the last seconds. Kansas improvers to 3-5 in the Big 12 while I-State drops out of 2nd with a 6-2 record.

West Virginia and BYU do not play a mid-week game this week.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here are the updated Big 12 Women's Basketball Standings and NET Ranking as of January 25th.

1st - Kansas State ............ 8-0 ..... 19-1 ...... NET #8
2nd - Oklahoma ...............6-1 ....... 12-6 ..... NET #44 up from #53
3rd - Iowa State .............. 6-2 ...... 12-6 ..... NET #39
4th - West Virginia ........... 5-2 ...... 16-2 ...... NET #23
5th - Texas ...................... 5-2 ...... 18-3 ..... NET #4
6th - Baylor ...................... 4-3 ...... 15-3 ..... NET #14
T7th - Texas Tech ............. 4-4 ....... 15-6 .... NET #66
T7th - Oklahoma State ...... 4-4 ....... 11-8 ..... NET #54
9th - Kansas ..................... 3-5 ...... 10-9 ..... NET #46
T10th - BYU ....................... 2-5 ...... 12-8 ..... NET #91
T10th - Cincinnati .............. 2-5 ....... 10-8 ..... NET #102
T12th - TCU ........................ 2-6 ....... 15-4 .... NET #36 (Their two forfeits do not count against their overall record.)
T12th - Houston ............... 2-6 ...... 11-8 ...... NET #103
14th - UCF ........................ 0-7 ...... 9-8 ..... NET #88
SoonerMike

Post by SoonerMike »

OU seems to be like the old saying about ex-boyfriend/girlfriend---When they are good they are very good, but when they are bad, they re BAD. The team that beat texas, and is on a run in the conference games doesn't look like the team around finals time, especially the Southern game. And the starters seem to be improving faster than our good reserves. Glad to see the improvement.