O/U for Sooner Football Wins in 2024?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports

The Vegas consensus O/U for Sooner football wins in 2024 is 7.5. What say you?

Over
100%
Under
No votes

Total votes: 17

StatesEye

O/U for Sooner Football Wins in 2024?

Post by StatesEye »

Well?
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

There is no doubt that the Sooners have one of the nation's most challenging schedules next year. That said, I think 8-4 or better is more likely than 7-5 or worse.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
captnop

Post by captnop »

OU should beat Tenn, SC, Bama ... thats 7 wins .. I think they win at least 2 of UT, LSU, Missou, Auburn, ole miss. 4 non conn + 3 + 2 would be 9.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

If you assume the offense Qb play RB play and Wr play are better and the defense is better then who is going to beat them ???? Seriously
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

A case can be made for taking the under.

New coordinators on both sides of the ball. Maybe they will be great coordinators, maybe not. Remember when we thought Grinch was good?

A new and inexperienced QB. A lot of us (me included) think he will be better than DG. But what if he isn’t better than DG? We just don’t know right now.

Replacing 4 of 5 starters on the offensive line and relying heavily on transfers. Will they gel into a great unit? Or will JA be running for his life?

Are we going to be better at placekicker, or will we still be playing a guy who can’t be counted on in pressure situations? Placekicking will be crucial, as I anticipate a LOT of close games next year.

Can the highly rated new recruits on the defensive line come in and contribute right away? Or will it take some time, as it often does with freshmen?

Then throw in the fact that Oklahoma seems to ALWAYS lose a game, every season, to someone they had no business losing to. I don’t know why that is but it’s been happening for years. Teams like Houston and South Carolina are absolutely capable of pulling an upset. We can probably count on 1 “L” that none of us are expecting.

All that said, I will still go with the over (barely) at 8-4.
captnop

Post by captnop »

There are MANY IF's ... We think JFA can be really good, IF BB can plug in the highly ranked Portal OL's + some new talent. IF the D continues to get better. All that being said .. LSU breaks in a new QB, as does SC .. not sure about Tenn. Bama breaks in a new coach.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

captnop wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:54 pm There are MANY IF's ... We think JFA can be really good, IF BB can plug in the highly ranked Portal OL's + some new talent. IF the D continues to get better. All that being said .. LSU breaks in a new QB, as does SC .. not sure about Tenn. Bama breaks in a new coach.
I can't wait for all the covid bonus years to finally be past us. Between that & the portal, it's really difficult to figure out who has graduated, has transferred, or is returning. Here's the QB situation for the teams on OU's schedule next year, as best as I've been able to determine:

Houston - Donovan Smith returns after playing 3 years @ Tech & starting for Cougar High last season.
Tennessee - will have a new QB - Iamaleava, their version of JFA - hotshot, 5-star qb prospect. Catching them early in the season and at home is a bonus for OU.
Auburn - returns Payton Thorne. He hasn't exactly earned a ringing endorsement as starter from Hugh Freeze, but he was the starter for them last year & in their bowl game.
:horns: - Ewers returns
S. Carolina - will have a new QB
Mizzou - Cook returns (as does Luther Burden at WR)
Bama - Milroe returns, but by the time OU faces them, their hotshot freshman 5-star QB Sayin may be the starter.
LSU - Nussmeier looks to be their new starter. He started in place of Daniels in LSU's bowl game & lit up Wisconsin for 395 yards & 3 TDs.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I think there’s a very good chance OU starts the season 5-0, at which point I will suddenly shift my expectations goal post to eleven wins minimum.
#Mentally In Portal
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Honestly guys, you are undervaluing the return of starters on defense and the improved run game from the addition of Seth and the new RBs…. :ou: :ou: :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

We win them all! 👍 I ant screened 🤪

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

gcruse7 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:20 pm There is no doubt that the Sooners have one of the nation's most challenging schedules next year. That said, I think 8-4 or better is more likely than 7-5 or worse.
Tend to agree - we have a number of unknowns, any which of them could cost us some games. The OL is a huge unknown along with replacing DL contributors. So, predicting 10/11 wins is shooting pretty high.

Of course, if we go 11-1 or 10-2, I will come back and deny any knowledge of this conversation. :D
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

soonerindallas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:47 am
gcruse7 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:20 pm There is no doubt that the Sooners have one of the nation's most challenging schedules next year. That said, I think 8-4 or better is more likely than 7-5 or worse.
Tend to agree - we have a number of unknowns, any which of them could cost us some games. The OL is a huge unknown along with replacing DL contributors. So, predicting 10/11 wins is shooting pretty high.

Of course, if we go 11-1 or 10-2, I will come back and deny any knowledge of this conversation. :D
You might want to start working on your denial post now. You'll need it.