5-7 Format Approved for 12 Team Playoff

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

5-7 Format Approved for 12 Team Playoff

Post by WishBone »

Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Blue

Post by Blue »

Who are the five? Did I miss something, but isn't the P-12 caput? So there is the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big 12 and ? Is the 5th the top ranked of the 2nd tier conferences? Or is it Notre Dame?
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

Blue wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 am Who are the five? Did I miss something, but isn't the P-12 caput? So there is the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big 12 and ? Is the 5th the top ranked of the 2nd tier conferences? Or is it Notre Dame?
It is the 5 highest ranked conference champions. And I read that the Pac-12, which is still currently a conference with just 2 schools, is ineligible for the first couple of years. I expect that most years it will be the winners of the SEC, B10, ACC and B12, and then the highest ranked smaller conference. However it is possible that if the B12, for instance, had a really down year, you could have 2 smaller schools higher ranked than the B12 champion, and in that case, the B12 winner would not make the playoffs.

This is an improvement and needed change from the originally agreed playoff format (before the Pac12 demise) that guaranteed the top 6 conference champions a playoff spot.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
RussC

Post by RussC »

gcruse7 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 am
Blue wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 am Who are the five? Did I miss something, but isn't the P-12 caput? So there is the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Big 12 and ? Is the 5th the top ranked of the 2nd tier conferences? Or is it Notre Dame?
It is the 5 highest ranked conference champions. And I read that the Pac-12, which is still currently a conference with just 2 schools, is ineligible for the first couple of years. I expect that most years it will be the winners of the SEC, B10, ACC and B12, and then the highest ranked smaller conference. However it is possible that if the B12, for instance, had a really down year, you could have 2 smaller schools higher ranked than the B12 champion, and in that case, the B12 winner would not make the playoffs.

This is an improvement and needed change from the originally agreed playoff format (before the Pac12 demise) that guaranteed the top 6 conference champions a playoff spot.
Yes you are correct. There are technically no automatic bids at all in this scheme. None.
#Mentally In Portal